C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 A/C Removal Tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L98 A/C Removal Tip

Been a couple posts lately about removing your A/C system. I just did mine, and after searching around for an idler pulley/bracket found these guy:
Trans Am Creations
4767 East 10th Lane
Hialeah, FL 33013
(305) 769-0985 Phone
(305) 769-0985 Fax http://www.tacreationsusa.com

They sell on Ebay a A/C bracket that is a direct fit, used the stock bolts. I just got and installed mine today, was a quality piece and price was right, $75 shipped I believe.
Just thought if anybody was searching here is one that works.

Now just gotta wait for the roads to get a bit better and for AutoX season to begin to see if getting rid of 50lbs in the front of the car and my new Camber Brace helps out :)
Old 02-12-2004, 04:20 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: L98 A/C Removal Tip (rsafier)

50 lbs!! You may have just clinched my decision to remove my AC unit as well. I seldom if ever run my AC anyways. My top is either off or I have the windows down. Not to mention I drive my car maybe 20 miles a week if I am lucky.

Obviously for draggin this 50lbs could be HUGE. Did you actually weight it all up? You removed the condensor as well? What year car, suppose i can check your sig for that.

The main reason I want to remove mine is it makes my car a PITA to work on. Also I fugure then I can use an electric h2o pump. Just run the belt around the crank, over the power steering and round the alternator. Should be a pretty simple thing to work out, but will need some sorta way to take up the slack in the belt. Shouldn't be too difficult.

:lurk:
Old 02-12-2004, 04:41 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I would have never guessed it weighed that much. :)
Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: L98 A/C Removal Tip (ski_dwn_it)

Well I just made an educated guess on the weight...I just went out there with a scale its 46 lbs, get or take a few.

I removed the Air Pump, all the insane tubing (still need to find someone that can weld so I could cut off and plug the air tree thingy), A/C compressor, accumulator, condensor, all the other tubing with that. Its quite a bit, although I was suprised the condenser really isn't as heavy as I figured it would be (less then 10lbs). I will say it cleans up the engine bay a lot. Made installing the camber brace really simple, though now that is getting in the way of stuff.
I guess the only AC stuff not removed is the stuff near the firewall. If I really wanted to get crazy I suppose I could remove the fan and whatever else is there, might be another 5 or so.
I did it mainly because my AC system was discharged, rarely use it, and figured it would allow more wrenching room.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (scorp508)

I would have never guessed it weighed that much. :)
The heaviest part was the AC compressor, i forgot to get exactly what it was, but felt like it was a good bit heavier then the Air Pump. I'm guessing it was about 20lbs for the compressor.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:50 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: (rsafier)

Well, rsafier, you convinced me...mine is coming out. I will call the dealership tomorrow and have see if they can store my r12 in the event I want to put it back together...I think that is illegal though. So I might sell it on the black market :jester That was entirely a joke. :lol:

But yeah if yours weighted 46lbs, I probably have another 10 on you as my pump is 1.5x as large as yours. So that should be a nice weight loss. Scratch my diet I was going to go on :thumbs: :p:
Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (ski_dwn_it)

Hey Jesse,
I remember seeing you write that you were determined to leave all the A/C stuff on your car, so I didn't try any further to convince you on the weight savings and the serviceability it allows to the engine. As much as guys like you and me are in the motor, it really helps alot! That in of it self is worth rolling the windows down on a hot day.

That's from my old stealthram days. But it was sooooooooo easy to work on the engine and the weight savings is great! Plus for those of us that are also into autocross, I had less understeer afterwards too! I hardly ever used the A/C here just slightly North of Santa Barbara. cool ocean breezes!!!!
by the way, you can use a belt without a tensioner and fabrictate an alternator bracket with the upper hole "slotted" to make or take up the slack. Old school style.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:21 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: (89 Paul in Cal)

Paul,

yeah you are right, I was determined to leave the AC on the car, but its really foolish in my case. As I said I seldom if ever use it. Here in PA we are lucky to see super hot days...and those days the top is off. Honestly last year I ran it once, just to see if it still worked. lol. Its coming off. :)

Also paul, those valve covers you have there. Don't mean to highjack the post, but they look awefully tall. Can you measure them for me, from the plane that the valve covers meet to the head, to the tallest point. I just bought a set and they are 4" exactly to the peak. They are billet aluminum, with the fabricated look to go along with the single plane intake. They were major $ and I do not want to run into problems with the wiper motor. Yours look like they are equally as tall. Any problems? :cheers:
Old 02-13-2004, 09:18 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

that cleans up nice
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 AM

i was going to post this anyhow but since i saw this ill just add to it,,,i just removed mine using a factory A/C delete backet from a late 80's early 90's S10 pickup, it is a bracket and pully assy that just bolts in place of the compressor, very simple bolt on, nothign else has to change, and it was only 34.00 at the dealer,all you need is a little shorter belt,,, this is also the same trick used on buick GN's......:cheers: now to get rid of the waterpump and put in a electric one!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM
thetoy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: L98 A/C Removal Tip (SEEYAAA)

I just finished removeing my ac unit and put on a electric water pump on my L98. I made a pully to bypass the water pump its not that hard to install. I just got the car together and started it seems to work so far but i have not tested it at 7000 rpm's yet. I left on the ac bracket so i could use the idler tention pully. I was abe to use the same belt that i had to bypass the ac unit for raceing.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: L98 A/C Removal Tip (thetoy)

I just finished removeing my ac unit and put on a electric water pump on my L98. I made a pully to bypass the water pump its not that hard to install. I just got the car together and started it seems to work so far but i have not tested it at 7000 rpm's yet. I left on the ac bracket so i could use the idler tention pully. I was abe to use the same belt that i had to bypass the ac unit for raceing.
Hmm....I figured sooner or later my waterpump is going to go south and I like the idea of an electric water pump, but didn't know that there is anything that really direct fits on the L98. You think you might be able to post some instructions on how you did install.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines comin' off too.
I posted on this about a month ago.
One of the best replies/suggestion for my car was to eliminate the ac altogether and route the belt around the tensioner the other way.
Rib side down. Just cut the belt, re route it without A/C, measure it and order a shorter belt. This works on L98's 86-88 and may be a year before or after.
Just a tip for those that have that belt config. The tensioner doesn't care which way it spins. This really works! I sent the diagram to DRM and they confirmed.
Save money on a delete kit and cleaner too.
I am ordering a wheel for my tensioner that is slotted to fit the rib side, although not really needed.
Matt383
Old 02-14-2004, 12:54 AM
thetoy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some pictures now of what i did but i don't know how to post them on the forum .

[Modified by thetoy, 12:15 AM 2/14/2004]

[Modified by thetoy, 12:16 AM 2/14/2004]
Old 02-14-2004, 07:24 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Default Re: L98 A/C Removal Tip (thetoy)

Send them to me, I will post them as I am interested as well.
:cheers:
Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Adam Heminger
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ;1546473452
i was going to post this anyhow but since i saw this ill just add to it,,,i just removed mine using a factory A/C delete backet from a late 80's early 90's S10 pickup, it is a bracket and pully assy that just bolts in place of the compressor, very simple bolt on, nothign else has to change, and it was only 34.00 at the dealer,all you need is a little shorter belt,,, this is also the same trick used on buick GN's...... now to get rid of the waterpump and put in a electric one!!!
What was the part # of that?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 335 Likes on 234 Posts

Do you realize that thread is 15 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 A/C Removal Tip

Quick Reply: L98 A/C Removal Tip