C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pls help with clutch issue ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM
94 M-6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls help with clutch issue ASAP

thanks for looking, the problem is the car wont go in gear when stopped. I can shift when moving, but w/o using the clutch. I have to start the car in gear, and when i do, it just starts moving. I press the clutch in, and the wheels are still turning.

The pedal itslef doesnt take anhy effort to push down, but it does return to its normal position.

Its as if the cable is broken, but my mechanic says he doesnt think there is a cable, but he hasnt looked at it yet.

is it a hydralic clutch, or what? I dont know, I assume so. what else do you think it could be?

oh, the brake light also came on, and wouldnt go off, as well as the service ABS and the service ASR as well...

thanks for all your help...
Old 02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Pls help with clutch issue ASAP (94 M-6)

It sounds like your clutch slave cylinder is shot.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:59 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like you have a hydraulic problem.

Check the clutch master cylinder reservoir, make sure there's fluid in there. And make sure it's not leaking. Also, check the backside of it (inside the footwell where the push rod attaches to the clutch pedal.) It can leak inside the car too.

And lastly, jack the car up and take a look at the slave cylinder. Just follow the line from the master cylinder down and you'll find it on the side of the bellhousing. See if its covered in leaky clutch fluid. I'm not sure how accessible your linkage is, if you have a rubber boot on it...

But you should be able to see the clutch cylinder rod move while a helper pushes the clutch in.

And keep that clutch fluid off your hands and off your paint. It'll melt the paint.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Pls help with clutch issue ASAP (CentralCoaster)

:iagree: I wish I had said that. :jester
Old 02-09-2004, 06:07 PM
94 M-6
Instructor

Default Re: Pls help with clutch issue ASAP (ittlfly)

thanks for that info, waht do the parts usually cost for this type of repair? and could that be triggering my lights, service abs and asr, as well as the brake light?

P
Old 02-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Your clutch pedal and brake pedal have switches on them. On the clutch pedal, the switches turn off the cruise control, and the Brake switches turn off the cruise control as well as turn on the brake lights. Maybe something disrupted these switches.

Your clutch sounds like a hydraulic problem and there is no cable on the clutch. If your mechanic doesn't know this, maybe you better find a Vette familar mechanic. Don't pay him to learn on your Vette. If all fails, find a good dealer that knows a little about Corvettes.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Default Re: Pls help with clutch issue ASAP (Strick)

Don't pay him to learn on your Vette. If all fails, find a good dealer that knows a little about Corvettes.
:iagree: And it's not even a matter of knowing about Corvettes. Basically any old school V8 american car will have similar hydraulic clutch linkage. The hydraulic system requires special attention just as brakes do, it's not something you'd want half-assed or have improperly installed/bled.

If you end up needing em... a clutch master cylinder goes for about $150, and a slave cylinder for $100 or so.

If any recommends just rebuilding the cylinders, run! They're aluminum, and should only be replaced... new seals or rehoning won't fix the problem right.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 AM
94 M-6
Instructor

as it turns out, the slave is finished. The mech said he recommended changing out both the master and the slave, but I just said the slave should be changed.

I kinda thought that he just wanted to do a bit more work. You think i did a bad?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:42 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as it turns out, the slave is finished. The mech said he recommended changing out both the master and the slave, but I just said the slave should be changed.

I kinda thought that he just wanted to do a bit more work. You think i did a bad?
Sounds like you made the right decision. Why pay to fix it if it's not broken :).
Old 02-11-2004, 03:38 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

It's cause they tend to go out around the same time if it's due to moisture in the brake fluid causing corrosion. Of course it may just be a bad seal, the slave cylinder is more prone to get grit and nasty clutch dust in it. I think you'll be fine. Mine are both leaking, and when I get some money, I'll replace both at once.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure your brake fluid resevoir is filled all the way to the top, with no air bubbles; you can tap on it to free them up. Air trapped in the brake master cylinder or low fluid will cause te ABS/ASR lights to come on. Someone also had a problem with a wheel sensor that did the same thing.

Sounds like you got the clutch thing fiured out. Make sure it shifts SMOOTH and easy when you get it done. A faulty or partial clutch relase is one of the main causes of syncro wear in the transmissions.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:55 AM
-=Iron Mike=-
Race Director

It's cause they tend to go out around the same time.
:iagree: I just did my master cylinder (visibly leaking) and I did not do the slave at the same time; upon closer inspection it looks as though the seal on my slave might be gone or is going. I think I'll do it while the weather is still poor around these parts. For what little extra it costs (to do both) it might be worth the peace of mind knowing the clutch hyraulics are all in good working order.

Get notified of new replies

To Pls help with clutch issue ASAP

Quick Reply: Pls help with clutch issue ASAP