C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 Sparco Harness Bar- installation help?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 95 Sparco Harness Bar- installation help?

My bar came without any instructions, I am sure its supposed to be self explanatory but if anyone has one and has installed it, a little help would be appreciated! 95 Coupe
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Bump
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM
GS348
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 2 cents

Originally Posted by corvette95
My bar came without any instructions, I am sure its supposed to be self explanatory but if anyone has one and has installed it, a little help would be appreciated! 95 Coupe
I have a custom harness bar that has similar specs to a manufactured piece, but I can't recall which brand. Anyways, all I had to do was disconnect the upper seat belt mounting point and basically installed and anchored mine in to place. With that said, I had to remove the chest belt portion so that only the lap belt can be used which isn't a major concern considering I have the harness. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

My bar seems to use the seatbelts bolts as well but has a bunch of brackets and two smaller tubes I don't have a clue as to where they go.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 PM
GS348
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bar seems to use the seatbelts bolts as well but has a bunch of brackets and two smaller tubes I don't have a clue as to where they go.
I believe they are used for additional stability, mine had these also and I never installed them with no issues. Now 6 years have gone by and nothing has shifted whatsoever
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Well I just about have the bar installed "my way" ha to ditch stock seatbelts, guess that was right . My washers that came with bar seem to small, gonna buy new washers today. Am I right in removing complete stock belts, I could see no other way for it mount.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Am I right in removing complete stock belts, I could see no other way for it mount.
5-point harness units are typically not DOT-approved for street use. With out the factory shoulder belt being visible to LEO's, you may wind up getting ticketed for not wearing seat belts. Also, some states may have laws that specifically prohibit the use of race harnesses on the street. Check your state laws to make sure you can legally use multi-point harnesses.

I also have a Sparco bar for my '87 and didn't get any install instructions

The two small tubes should have come with small heim joint ends for each end of the tube. There should also be a pair of L-shaped brackets. These brackets are supposed to mount to the bottom bolt for the factory seat belt assembly (where the take-up reel is located) The tube mounts to that bracket and to the small tab on the harness bar. Guess the idea of the small tube is to keep the harness bar from rotating.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

So you removed your belts completely too?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My harness bar is not installed yet and I won't be deleting the stock seat belts. My 87 sees some street use and WA state law prohibits the use of a harness belt for street use.

The bolt kit I got was incomplete, at least the bolts for the bar mounting. They were too short and the wrong thread pitch. I had to work with the seller to get the correct ones but I will still have to build some tubular shims and I'll be getting a variety of washers.

What I found in the initial fit was that a tubular shim is necessary between the flat part of the harness mounting tab and the side of the B-pillar. The plastic trim sits about 3/4 away from the B-pillar and if I were to simply tighten the mounting bolts, the trim piece would break.

When you bolt the bar in place, I would recommend cleaning the female threads in the B-pillar and the lower frame mounting threaded holes. GM used a threadlocker in the initial install and over the years, it will have dried out. I'm going to use some Loctite Blue to keep the bolts in place. Same with the small bolts for the tubular rods and the OEM bottom seat belt bolts.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

OK, I got the bar installed, no thanks to any instructions or correct hardware. I was able to re-use stock seatbelts. I had to buy my own correct size washers and not super sure I have it installed to specs but I think its solid. I have my 5 point harness' wrapped around bar but waiting on seat hardware to anchor the rest of the 5 point. This has been an adventure.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Sparco Harness Bar- installation help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Sparco Harness Bar- installation help?