C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dynomax super turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:19 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dynomax super turbo help

I finally got approval to put new exhaust on the wife's corvette and I am wanting to put dynomax superturbos on with the rear y-pipe with a crossover tube. She told me that if they were too loud that they were coming back off. Does anyone have a sound clip of an actual c4 vette with these mufflers on or does anyone live in TN with these mufflers on their vette?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:25 AM
1STVETTE90
Advanced

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (91redragtop)

I don't have any sound clips, but I used to have them on my 90(with the same Y-pipe) and she will be happy with them. I replaced mine with the stinger/targa type muffler because I wanted something a little louder. With the crossover There really is'nt much resonance at all.She'll like them.
Rick
Old 01-31-2004, 10:18 AM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, I don't have a sound clip either, Plus mine is a LT1, but I had the original LT1 resonator taken off, then had a custom Y put in that would be similar to what you are talking about. Then I had the Dynomax Super Turbos put on. They are barely louder than stock if any at all. They have a little deeper tone. They are OK, but they are not nearly loud enough for me.

They would probably be perfect for your wife :cheers:
Old 01-31-2004, 10:41 AM
McLoud
6th Gear

I also had a similar setup on my 86 (Super Turbos etc.) The sounds was very nice, however I thought they were a little quite. So I went down to the muffler shop yesterday and had the whole thing removed and replaced with straight pipe. Now it is really loud. That would be too much for your wife. She will like the ST, my wife did.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/gm.html
Old 01-31-2004, 02:50 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (Raistlin)

could you tell any performance gains with them at all? I am going to have the pre-cats cut off and replaced with straight pipe too. Do you think that this will help any at all with performance?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:01 PM
McLoud
6th Gear

I don't have any numbers to back it up, however, the car seems more responsive when I stand on it. Or, it could be the giggles that I get from the new rumble. I did notice that my Instant MPG reading went to 23 from a 19 when I am crusing down the freeway at the posted speed! I only have about 20 miles loged since my conversion. It will be interesting to see the long term gains.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got approval to put new exhaust on the wife's corvette and I am wanting to put dynomax superturbos on with the rear y-pipe with a crossover tube. She told me that if they were too loud that they were coming back off. Does anyone have a sound clip of an actual c4 vette with these mufflers on or does anyone live in TN with these mufflers on their vette?
Youv got mail!

[Modified by ld85, 8:53 PM 1/31/2004]
Old 01-31-2004, 10:40 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (ld85)

ld85, your ride sounds awesome! :D When the wife heard it she said what I want to hear is what it sounds like inside the car revved up and driving down the road. Is there anyway that you could do that for her? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:12 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They would probably be ok on a stock system. On a 3" with Hookers and an H pipe, there is a good bit of resonance in the 15-1800 range, they're loud to me, but I'm running a fairly nasty motor.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:06 AM
LD85
Race Director

ld85, your ride sounds awesome! :D When the wife heard it she said what I want to hear is what it sounds like inside the car revved up and driving down the road. Is there anyway that you could do that for her? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would if I could, I did not record any inside the car sound,,,
First the car will be a little more quiet on a stock vette, that sound is of a 406 with a cam and headers

My wife loved the sound when the car was stock, with the cam and 406 shes says it is a little loud.

On the other hand Ol'RJ has been in the car and he says the sound an reduced resonance is better than his exahsut, he has Flowmasters I THINK.

I just put the freshly rebuilt engine back onto the tranny yesterday and will not have it running till the end of the month, sorry I could not help more but like I said on a stock car, I think you will love them.

ALSO, they come with chrome rectangualr tips! Dollar for dollar I think they are the best :seeya

[Modified by ld85, 3:43 PM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-01-2004, 10:36 AM
GusBustamanteJr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put on the Dynomax. you will love the sound outside the car. Without cats, they will RESONATE REAL BAD!!!!

I have been through this.

What did you say???
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (GusBustamanteJr)

I had them with a gutted CAT and full length headers.

HATED THEM AND COULDN'T GET THEM OFF FAST ENOUGH!

An operating CAT may have made a difference, but I'll never know.

Too loud and resonance like you wouldn't believe. Stuffed one tip on each muffler with balled up aluminum foil helped a lot.

You have to remember, when it comes to exhaust sound, women are WAY different than men. I vote that she'll absolutely HATE them.

Just my experience.

Jake

[Modified by JAKE, 11:56 PM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-02-2004, 08:30 AM
mos90
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (JAKE)

i had the ultra flows on my 91 with headers and no cats and they were so loud i had to take them off. went with borlas.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (mos90)

I've had that setup on my 92. Its not bad at all and the car sounds pretty good. Does the l98 have a resonator? if so keep it in place.

That sucks about your wife dood. Just the thought of my wife taking over my corvette is enough to make me :sad: and :U
Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 AM
LD85
Race Director

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (VictorRussell'92)

I have ridden in Ol'RJ's 406CI car on the interstate with his Flowmasters and trust me,,, the Dynomax do have LESS resonance than the Flowmasters for sure, even Ol'RJ mentioned he would consider the Dynomax mufflers on his next purchase.

But remember, sound tolerance is different for each person. Would I like to have less resonance,,, absolutely, and my 406CI car should be better when I install the Bullet muffler in the spot where the cat used to be. But on my stock 350 CI car compared to my 406CI engine, resonance was totally tolerable,, to me at least.

We'll see...............
Old 02-02-2004, 11:25 AM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

I've got 'em on my 96, with cats, no resonator. The only difference between Superturbos and stock mufflers is a little bit of a deep tone just below 2000 rpm. Otherwise, they're very, very quiet. Anything above 2000 rpm, even at WOT (from inside the car, at least), and all I can hear is the engine, not the exhaust. I like them, but think they're a little tame. Your wife should have no problem with them.

Get notified of new replies

To dynomax super turbo help

Old 02-02-2004, 04:28 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (fullboogie)

Still curious as to what kind of gains I will get with the gutted pre-cats, y-pipe and super turbos. My wife hates loud mufflers because of my 95 Impala SS. I have 40 flows, no resonators and baffled tips. It has horrible drone in overdrive on the interstate(emphasis on HORRIBLE)! My truck has a single mello-tone on it and it has horrible drone between 1500-1800 RPMS. So she hates drone. The positive side to the whole thing is her just agreeing to let me put different mufflers on the vert to begin with. She heard a C5 come by the house the other day with some aftermarket exhaust on it and she said "Now that is what a Corvette should sound like", she has said that ours is too quiet. Women, I just don't understand them. :D

[Modified by 91redragtop, 3:29 PM 2/2/2004]
Old 02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
mos90
Drifting

i dont think you will like the super turbos if you are looking for "the corvette" sound. i returned my super turbos because they were to quiet and i returned the ultra flow because they were to loud. i had on my 91 no cats at all and borlas and it was almost perfect. but now i put long tubes cam and intake with no cats and im in the process on selling my borlas that i have now and putting on the new borla stinger system. now that stinger system soungs great..
Old 02-02-2004, 04:49 PM
grapeknutz
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Re: dynomax super turbo help (GusBustamanteJr)

If you put on the Dynomax. you will love the sound outside the car. Without cats, they will RESONATE REAL BAD!!!!

I have been through this.

What did you say???
On my 92 LT1 I have a Dr Gas X crossover and I have NO resonance!!

Quick Reply: dynomax super turbo help