C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pressure probs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Ras119
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure probs

I just installed my new injectors, I'm priming the system looking for leaks. Well, the first time i turned the ignition on, it ran up to about 28psi and held for about ten min. Then i purged my pressure guage, turned on the ignition, and it ran up to about 26psi and wouldnt hold. Third tan only got to 10psi and wouldnt hold. I tried two more times and I'm not getting any pressure at all. :confused: Does this sound like anything to anyone? I was just about to do the pressure test with the fuel pump when all this started. Oh, and my pressure regulator isnt hooked up to anything right now, could that be the cause?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:14 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Fuel pressure probs (Ras119)

Yeah your fuel preesure regulator does just that and holds pressure...Does the engine run??? I would hook it all up, start the engine with the gauge installed, and see where your at...Running the engine as opposed to turned the key on will be different..The key on pump only gives the fuel rails enough pressure to start the engine.It typically wont tell you crap with the engine not started..Once its running ,you should be at least 38 psi ( AT THE LEAST)..
Then you can fine tune your pressure...
Old 01-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Ras119
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel pressure probs (FostersPerformance)

Thats the thing i was worried about. HOoking everything up then finding a problem. I don't notice any gross leaks from the injectors so I guess I am going to assume they are okay?? I just wanted to pressurize it before i put the plenum back on.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:21 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yeah, if you had a leak you see it right away...Either purge the air with your gauge if u can, or just open the schrader valve a little bit untill gas tries to blind you.But it really is almost impossible to get a leak at the injector assuming you installed them correctly..The biggest thing is not putting oil on the o rings before installation...If you did that and made sure they were all snug in their bores, you will be fine.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:42 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, and my pressure regulator isnt hooked up to anything right now, could that be the cause?
What does, " isnt hooked up to anything", really mean? No fuel lines connected? It is the regulator that causes the pressure. The pump makes the fuel flow. The regulator is an obstruction in the line that causes the pressure. Without a regulator, I doubt you will get enough pressure to start it. For test purposes, you can jump terminals "A" and "G" on your ALDL with the ignition on, to run the pump. Then you won't have to try to rely on the 2 second shots you get from simply turning the ignition on. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Ras119
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel pressure probs (CFI-EFI)

Okay, sorry about that. The fuel pressure regulator is inline, where it is supposed to be. The vacuum line to it isnt attached to anything just yet, as there isnt any plenum on it right now.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:49 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Key on pressure should be 38 to 42 and holding. It doesn't matter if the vacuum line is hooked up and you may have to cycle the ignition a couple of times to fill up the rail. If you don't have this pressure, something is holding back flow or if you get some pressure, but it bleeds off, an injector is stuck open or it's leaking somewhere - check closely at the rail and the manifold - it doesn't take much and you may need to cycle the ignition on and off 4 or 5 times before it becomes obvious. Otherwise, remove the rail with the injectors - any with fuel dripping is the problem and whatever cylinder it's located on, remove the plug and turn it over by hand until it's at TDC to force the excess fuel out of it.

For steady but low pressure, flush the inlet by clamping a hose to it and placing it in a coffee can. Then crank the engine until it spits out a quart (if flow is ok you should see a pint after 15 seconds). If flow is marginal, replace the filter. If you still can't get adequate pressure, clamp the return line while applying 12 volts to the fuel pump tester. If it rises above 47, the regulator is shot. If it's still low, it the fuel pump.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Ras119
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel pressure probs (SunCr)

Looks like the issue was with my fuel pressure gauge. When i pulled it off and cycled the starter a few times to fill it up with fuel, then cycled once more I'm at 40psi and holding. :party: thanks for the help :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure probs

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure probs