C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Dixie91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service?

My 91 L98 Auto does not want to shift outta 1st gear. Talked to a fella who suggested the 1-2 shift valve inside the control valve might be stuck or sticking. He said it could be serviced i.e., cleaned......sure would like to get it cleaned without gettin cleaned at the tranny shop. :confused:
Old 01-25-2004, 07:07 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service? (Dixie91)

Sounds like you stripped the teeth off the govenor. Side cover that looks like a pie plate. Pry it off and pull the govenor out, probably doesn't have any teeth. Buff it to make sure it's not sticking or binding and replace the gear. Easy job.
That's the 1st place that I would look. Could have blown the seals out of the 2-4 piston assembly, but not likely.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Dixie91
Advanced

Default Re: Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service? (johnnyevans)

Yeah.. thought about doing that too since the book indicates that to be the first item to investigate. Can you pull it out fairly easy while still on the car? The control valve is the 2nd item to check. I hate it. I had no indication at all that my transmission was gonna go out. It had been shifting pretty sharp and crisp. But I got in it, took off, and it would not shift to 2nd. Hasn't since. Up on the lift now trying to figure it out before I have to go to pulling the transmission out. My transmission expertise would fit in the palm of yer hand. :confused:
Old 01-25-2004, 09:28 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Default Re: Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service? (Dixie91)

It's a fairly easy thing to do. Pry the cover off with a screwdriver, carefully, there's an o-ring in there. Drop the exhaust, it makes the work a lot easier. Pry the cover off and wiggle the govenor as you pull it out. Once out, get another gear, drive the pin out and replace the gear, remember to buff the rings off on the shaft, litely.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Dixie91
Advanced

Default Re: Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service? (johnnyevans)

Thanks......I'll give it a try before I mess with the control valve. Can the gear on the governor be had at a parts store or is it a dealer item? :flag
Old 01-25-2004, 11:25 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

I don't really know. I usually go to a transmission shop and pick one up, or the dealer.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Probuilt
Advanced

Any transmission shop will have this. About $1.00 or $2.00 for the gear, and a couple of bucks to install it.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Dixie91
Advanced

Managed to find some time yesterday to pull the governer and inspect the gear. It looks fine, nice and sharp, no nicks or burs. I don't know what to look for now. If my problem isn't the control valve then anything else is beyond my expertise. I've built engines but never a transmission. I usually just let em rape me when I had to have work done on a transmisssion!!!! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service?

Quick Reply: Transmission Control Valve - Anyone ever pull one and service?