C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:34 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it.

Hey all,

I posted a little over a week ago regarding a bunch of work I did to my car and how it resulted in a Bose buzz and a dash flicker. Also, my instantaneous and average mileage was freaking out. :confused: :sad:

I figured it had to be a bad ground, as all of the above was fine up until I did the work on the car.

As info, I replaced the injectors, fuel pump, EGR valve and temp sensor, coolant sensors, valve cover gaskets, valve springs, seals, retainers, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, ignition module, and the serpentine belt.

I pulled the distributor cap to inspect the wire connections for the tach, battery, and ground where they enter the cap. And that's where I found the problem.

:yesnod:

In a fit of complete stupidity (I've been having a lot of these, lately) I neglected the 4 bolts that hold the coil in place. Remember, not only do these bolts hold the coil in place, but they also hold a ground to the coil itself. After I assembled the cap the first time around, that ground was left to bounce around on the coil. This is what gave me the intermittant dash and mileage figures. Also, the lack of the ground certainly was the cause of the dreaded Bose buzz.

So I found the four bolts, put them back in the coil, put it all back together and...

TADAAAAA! My problems were solved.

:party:

There is enough about this sort of thing in the archives, without any real definitive answer. So if you're having this issue, pull your cap and inspect the ground wire to the coil. You could do worse than clean this connection and make sure it's tight.

:cheers:
Old 12-22-2003, 04:24 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it. (joeveto)

Those can be real brain teasers but you got the job done. :cheers:

That is another reason (in addition to hotter spark, etc.) that I upgraded my ignition with a HyperTech system. Just change the rotor, bolt on the cap and done...less to go wrong.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:40 PM
redfast
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it. (65Z01)

:skep: I have the same problem with mine. I'll look into the distributor, didn't even think of it b/c right before I bought my car the cap+rotor were replaced. :thumbs:
Old 12-22-2003, 04:45 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it. (joeveto)

Thats great you found the problem. As simple as that may have been. That missing ground link there could have left you stranded. I have seen many missing grounds there and that has been the cause of many friend HEI Modules and or coils. So it is a good thing that you found that problem :)

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:54 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the solution....
Old 12-23-2003, 12:36 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel too bad, I did the EXACT same thing. :lol: I didn't notice any adverse effects(so it was getting ground somewhere), but I was amazed to see that I left that little grounding strap out when I was going through old parts seeing what I could dispose of. :eek:
Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it. (NoWorries)

:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it.

Quick Reply: Follow up to dash flicker, erroneous mileage readings, and Bose buzz. I fixed it.