C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

You guys think this cam will lope?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Killer 84 X
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys think this cam will lope?

Hey guys check out this cam I got for my crossfire. I know they are'nt powerhouses but I'm going to use this cam in my rebuild and I want it to lope at idle. Here's the specs:
Advertised duration> 262 Intake
272 Exhuast
Lift> 448 intake
472 exhaust

Duration@.050> 204 intake
214 exhaust

So what do ya think? And dont say "just get a newer non crossfire car". I'm keeping the old girl and planning on a C5 down the road.

:steering:
Old 11-30-2003, 12:35 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (Killer 84 X)

This sounds good.
And did you check out the CrossFire Forum. http://www.crossfire.webhop.net

Tons of crossfire info. On our '84's.
Check it out.
tony
:flag
Old 11-30-2003, 05:45 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift> 448 intake / 472 exhaust
Duration @ .050> 204 intake / 214 exhaust
Well, that's good to know that much...I would imagine it's a regular hydraulic flat tappet cam...an important spec to know, if you are wondering if it will lope at idle, is the cam's CenterLine and Lobe Seperation Angle...any idea on what those two are? IMHO, that duration is probably just about right for a CFI. If the LSA is about 112 it'll have a nice noticeable lope, but if it's 114, then it'll prolly sound stock. (IIRC, I think stock LSA IS 114) If it's a 110 LSA den' it'll be purrrrfect. :reddevil
Old 11-30-2003, 09:25 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't believe it's going to sound much different from a stock cam. It's pretty short in duration.

Jake
Old 11-30-2003, 10:18 AM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (JAKE)

:iagree:

I dont think it will "lope" either
Old 11-30-2003, 12:21 PM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Cam lope (and the resulting rough idle) is something they had to put with when using high lift cams with lots of duration in the old days.

But it's an undesireable by-product of performance we had to put up with. I don't think I ever heard anyone wanting just the lope and not the performance that goes alone with it. That's sort of like throwing the banana away and eating the peel.

Kids must be getting bigger allowances these days to buy Corvettes.

BIG JIM

[Modified by BIG JIM 54, 9:22 AM 11/30/2003]
Old 11-30-2003, 12:39 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think it will lope and if it does it will be just noticable. Who ground the cam and what the lobe separation angle? One thing you may want to consider seeing how you want a lopey cam. Will you have a means to program a new prom for it? I am asking because with a lopey cam its going to wreak havoc on the CFI system and tuning is going to become an issue.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:17 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (tjwong)

I am asking because with a lopey cam its going to wreak havoc on the CFI system and tuning is going to become an issue.
Indeed! And no one "tunes" the stock '84 ECM. With a "lope", you'll be looking at an ECM conversion. I agree, you won't get any "lope" from this cam. And you don't want any. This sounds like a good cam for your Crossfire. One reason a cam lopes, is because it is ground to produce upper rpm power. It does so at the expense of lower end torque. Your intake won't permit upper end power, so a cam like that will hurt you two ways. The cam will want to make power, upstairs, where the intake will choke it, and the intake wants to make torque down low where the cam won't let it. You end up with the worst of both worlds. Buy this cam. It is well suited to your application, but forget any lope from this engine. You wouldn't like what goes with it. If you want lope, screw your fuel pressure up to about 17 pounds. It'll run like crap, but it'll sound nasty. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (britvette)

I dont think it will "lope" either

Old 11-30-2003, 03:22 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

You probably won't get any lope. My TPI has a single pattern cam that is 280 advertised duration and .495 lift. There is a slight lope at idle when it's warmed up. Before it's warmed up it sounds like a Pro Mod motor, but that's a tuning issue.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Killer 84 X
Advanced

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (flyersfan1088)

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your input. So it looks like it wont sound much meaner than stock huh? I was looking forward to that sound so its really too bad it wont lope. This cam was ground by Grimes Performance down in Alpharetta GA. He calls this the "Crossfire Twister Grind"This guy is/was a Crossfire Guru of sorts but VERY HARD TO GET AHOLD OF!
I think he just comes into the shop in the morning and takes the phone off the hook. Anyway. Im glad my combo is sounding good.

[Modified by Killer 84 X, 5:34 AM 12/2/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I for one am interested in how his cam performs and lopes. Having a spirited engine that sounds stock smooth at idle, takes away from the whole experience.

Yes, reward me with power when the go pedal is fully deepressed. And let the kid in his rice burner hear what real power sounds like when the light is still red.

Killer84X, repost your results when the project is complete will ya?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I for one am interested in how his cam performs and lopes. Having a spirited engine that sounds stock smooth at idle, takes away from the whole experience.

Yes, reward me with power when the go pedal is fully depressed. But also let the kid in his rice burner hear what real power sounds like when the light is still red.

Killer84X, repost your results when the project is complete will ya?
:cheers:

[Modified by JrRifleCoach, 11:24 PM 12/1/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 06:13 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Killer,

I agree with CFI-EFI, though this cam won't lope, it is best suited for what it's designed for... to make more power.

I remember when building my first engine when I was 17, I had a builder ask me do I want a race car or a Burger King car. When I asked him what a BK car was, he explained that it's one of those cars that the cam sounds good echoing off the brick wall while at the drive thru but doesn't run worth a damn.

If you want it to lope, one thing you'll need is a lower centerline... a 104 or 106 would be more in order. (of course, it's not just centerline, you'll need the correct duration, etc, etc...)

A rule of thumb I used to use when I was younger was to pick a cam for the type of driving you want to do and to determine which one, run your car at 60 mph. Whatever your rpm's are, that should be the bottom of the powerband range that your cam produces... I'm not sure if would apply to corvettes that have six speed trans, they really have a low rpm at those speeds.

Perhaps someone could chime in on that?

Mark
Old 12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Killer 84 X
Advanced

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (C4 Newbie)

Thanks to the guys that understand what I am trying to do. I like the sound of a healthy cam at idle. My poor little crossfire was born with one lung so to speak but I will make it right. American V8 Muscle sounds like nothing else in the world to me. I think its just as seductive and distictive as the music that comes from any Ferarri or Porsche etc. Something to be proud of fellas... Ill post up and let you guys that know what I mean see how it turns out. I also have ordered some headers to put on it so im sure it will sound great even if it doesnt cackle like I want it to. And by the way, Im sure its gonna run a decent number for what it is because all my cars put good numbers up on the boards sooner or later, whether they like it or not! :steering:

[Modified by Killer 84 X, 11:26 PM 12/2/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 08:23 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks to the guys that understand what I am trying to do. I like the sound of a healthy cam at idle.
I like that sound too, but it isn't going to WORK in your car. Not without a LOT of modifications.
Im sure its gonna run a decent number for what it is
After you get your cam and headers on, look me up. You can test it along side my 160,000 mile, untouched long block, stocker. If you stick with the cam you asked about, you'll be fine. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Killer 84 X
Advanced

Default Re: You guys think this cam will lope? (CFI-EFI)

Oh, Im going to use the cam I asked about for sure. I already have it. I was just saying how much I like the sound of a healthy cam. Its too bad mine wont have that sound. I am well aware of the limitations of the crossfire system. Hell, this thing has "Computer Command Control" for god sake. That must be the equivalent of having an Atari 2600 in this day and age. I think Ill get some antique plates for it when it turns 20 and ride around blasting Miami Vice tunes in it!! See ya at the track dude and thanks for your input!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To You guys think this cam will lope?

Quick Reply: You guys think this cam will lope?