C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers

A friend offered to take these items to his shop and sand blast them to clean 'em up. On the valve covers, I am gonna restore them this winter. I was just curious if it's OK to blast these items without causing any damage?

Wadyathink?
Thanks!
Bill
Old 11-26-2003, 11:54 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (Bill-35thAnvrsy-88)

Bill,

If your friend has a media other than sand, it would be better. When we media blast anything like that, we usually use crushed walnut shells or plastic beads.... less chance of pitting and damaging your stuff.

Just a suggestion.

Mark
Old 11-26-2003, 11:59 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (C4 Newbie)

I use glass bead in our sandblaster at home on the plenum/runner/intake and it works great.

On the valve covers it takes a lot of work as the OEM primer and paint are caked on there like nobody's business. I would recommend just cleaning the valve covers thoroughly with Kerosene to get the grime off, hit them with some sand paper (400 grit maybe) to rough up the paint some, wash them down with water and dry them before putting another coat on.

The OEM castings are pitted horribly and the OEM primer/paint fills in all of the pits.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (scorp508)

If the valve covers are pitted that bad...wouldn't the new paint job look crappy?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:09 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

If the valve covers are pitted that bad...wouldn't the new paint job look crappy?
If you strip off all of the existing stuff, yes, unless you put many many coats on. If you leave whats on there on it and just do a new coat or two over it they come out nice.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you blast the plenum, be sure to clean it out thoroughly afterwards, I know someone who wrecked an engine like that. Then have it all powder coated :cool:
Old 11-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use glass bead in our sandblaster at home on the plenum/runner/intake and it works great.
:iagree:

I let dgoodhue use my bead blaster on his intake/runners/plenum and they came out like new!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Albertgofaster
Intermediate

ah ,yes media blasting if the best way however I took the advice from this forum and used aircraft grade paintstriper from NAPA worked great! However do not get that stuff on your skin Whoooooowhooooooo that stuff hurts! Anyways I decided to paint the runners black High temp paint with clear coat High temp but powder coat would be my first choice but I didnt have time came out nice though. Good luck.

:p: :p: :p: :seeya

[Modified by Albertgofaster, 6:57 PM 11/26/2003]
Old 11-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

As a result of your points, I spoke to my buddy and he said he would be using glass bead on the plenum and runners. On the valve covers, I think I'll do what was suggested and NOT take them all the way down to bare metal but clean 'em w/kero, clean/rinse and couple new coats. Less work for me!

Cool...thanks again guys!
Bill
Old 11-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

I know by now that people have their own way of doing things and here are some comments on refinishing the plenum, runners and valve covers. I completed this project last winter.
1. Glass bead blasting was used to clean my plenum and runners. After completing this, the colors of the parts were different and I did not like this appearance. I used PPG DX 507 (I think the number is correct) chemical to treat the aluminum and then painted the parts with Rustoleum Hi Temp silver paint. They still look great.
2. The valve covers were a shade of brown and they would not bead blast! I had to use aircraft stripper (from Auto Zone) to remove the powder coat. The covers were not pitted as described in earlier posts. I sanded the covers with 400 wet sand paper and put about three coats of Rustoleum Hi Tme paint on them. Oh yes, I also treated them with the PPG material prior to painting.
This project cost me less than $50 and the engine looks great after a year of use. If anyone wants pictures, send me a note.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (Sam Lam)

I'd like some pics if ya don't mind!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:34 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (Sam Lam)

2. The valve covers were a shade of brown and they would not bead blast! I had to use aircraft stripper (from Auto Zone) to remove the powder coat. The covers were not pitted as described in earlier posts. I sanded the covers with 400 wet sand paper and put about three coats of Rustoleum Hi Tme paint on them.
I also used aircraft stripper and it barely took the paint off. It wouldn't even touch the primer on mine. You must have the single most miraculous set of valve covers out there. I've gone through 4 sets of the things and they've all been pitted to hell. :( I've got pictures at home somewhere showing how bad they are.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:18 PM
freaker
Heel & Toe

I have reciently completed the same task. Not sure about the medium used but I didn't do the valve covers. I just gave them a good clean and a couple of coats of the proper valve cover paint. That was over a year ago and they still look great! Lotsa Luck! :steering:
Old 11-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers (freaker)

Scorp: It took about 5 to 6 coats of the stripper to get the brown "mess" from the surface of my valve covers. It got to the point that I was going to get all than d--m paint off regardless what it took! To my surprise, the covers were not pitted or "holy" as I expected to find. There were some parting line marks in the magnesium, but they were clean. I did not make pictures of the unpainted covers...wish I had done this! I will send some pictures to Scorp and Bill-88. Regards, Sam :)

Get notified of new replies

To Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers

Quick Reply: Sand Blast plenum, tubes and valve covers