C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:40 PM
MongooseLT4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Lichen)

Gary, I have the Dunlops and absolutely HATE them. Horrible traction, lousy cornering and a bit noisy. I can't wait to replace them.
You must be a horriable driver then....I've taken my SP8000's to victory after victory AutoXing and even stomped a National Champ on Hoosiers so you must not know how to drive your car. Oh yeah and the road noise is not bad but if your worried about road noise maybe you shouldn't be driving a corvette. I am on my 2nd set of SP8000's 1st set with the corvette. The only downside I see to the tires is that they do wear alittle fast but that is a trade off to me with the lower price than other tires. Sure there at better tires out thier.....F1 Supercars, Pilot Sports, KD's but if you want a good street tire these are great I don't anticipate you having a problem with wear unless you drive the car hard alot.

Hey Lichen.....Maybe you should figure out what your talking about before you make a post like that! Besides its not like your convertable drivers know about performance anyways huh? :eek: :D

[Modified by MongooseLT4, 11:45 PM 12/18/2003]
Old 12-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (MongooseLT4)

MongooseLT4 , did I miss something?? Maybe Lichen deleted his post?

Old 12-19-2003, 11:53 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Bans25)

I work in the tire industry and did a competitive analysis of whichI compared the following: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, Goodyear Eagle GS-D3, Kumho Ecsta MX, Bridgestone Potenza S03, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport, and Hankook Ventus K104 .

Unfortunately, I do not have actual traction testing results. All this is in the lab, but the compound indicators of traction gave the Goodyears the nod by a small margin. All treads contained some silica. Those of you that dont know about tires you always trade off winter performance for summer performance. When the temperatures drop, high performance tires stiffen and get awful in any kind of foul weather. They might corner well (Due to the stiffening), but wont stop as well or giving as good starting traction. The Goodyear tires I would not recommend for anyone dealing with any kind of cold, foul weather.

One interesting thing i noted about the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 was that it used a kevlar cap ply. Kevlar is excellent because it is hi-modulus and should allow for excellent steering response.

In the wet, I am sure the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is unbeatable.However how many of us really get on our Corvettes when its raining? In the dry the blockier, stiffer tread pattern of the Eagle F1 Supercar is what I'd prefer.

Another thing I noted about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar was it was the lightest. It does come with less tread depth though. A P245/45ZR17 weighed 23.4 pounds compared to 25.4 pounds for the second lightest tire. The Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 was the heaviest at 28.5 pounds.

So you could save yourself 20 pounds of unsprung weight if you went with the Eagle F1 Supercars....

All that said about the Goodyears, where they lose out is price. Although Michelin is still by far the highest price tire....ever...

I should mention the Kumho and Hankook impressed me because they used silica, similar polymers, etc. for a cheaper price. They still had cap plys (for handling and speed ratings).

Honestly, I was most impressed by the 2 Goodyear UHP tires. If cost no object, Id buy a set of 4 Eagle F1 Supercars for the 'weekend warrior' Corvette drivers. If I daily drove it, Id probably buy Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's (as long as I didnt have to drive it in the snow....) However, without real world stopping distance, subjective handling, force and moment, and trailer traction results its tough for me to say who was the winner.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:09 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Curveit)

zr1joe...OK...I'll take the bait Goober. You're not really trying to make friends here, are you. I bought Kumho MX because the offered equal performance to the "better" tires, at half the price. In my opinion, thats being smart, not cheap, even if I was wealthy. Second; Goodyears have offered a lot of crappy tires in the past, including the ones that were on my car. As I said before, I've heard a lot of good things about the new ones, but they're still not avaliable in my size;295/35/18, which is also used on the Z06. Goodrich are pretty good tires, but I've heard they have a short life, and cost twice what I paid.
:chevy

[Modified by Curveit, 6:59 PM 12/18/2003]
:iagree: If it weren't for Goodyears short life, I'd own a set now, too. I wasn't out to spare expense when I bought my wheels/tires, but I've had TERRIBLE luck with Goodyears lasting, and I do NOT take 70MPH corners, or pull hole shots anywhere. My Dunlops also wore out extra fast, (SP8000s) so I will never buy them again, either..... So far, BFG's have outlasted anything I've ever owned!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:35 PM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Curveit)

My MXs don't squeel, and the bite is very good. I chose them not only for the price, but from reading reports, listening to x-crossers, and folks here on the forum. Perhaps you have the 712s; I've never used them. At any rate, try 32-36# pressure, that might help.

:chevy
Nope, I've got the MX's. I'm not knocking them, if you check my post. I said that, for the money, they're ok. But compared to the original GSC's and a set of F1D3's, they're subpar. Glad you like yours, though. Different strokes, right? :yesnod:
Old 12-19-2003, 06:52 PM
MongooseLT4
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Bans25)

Bans25: No its on page one....its exactly what is said in my quote. I don't understand someone posting and giving false information about a product....If I don't know what I'm talking about I try to say out of the tread. Dunlops are not the greatest tire and I would hope not or else all other tire manufatuers would be going out of busniess but they by no means suck, and they can corner and can get traction and are not loud. whoop whoop! for dunlops :D

[Modified by MongooseLT4, 6:53 PM 12/19/2003]
Old 12-20-2003, 04:53 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (MongooseLT4)

zr1Joe -- I have a question for you, since you are a Goodyear dealer. I noticed when I bought a set of Eagle GTII's for my C3, there was a ton of room for dickering on the price. After I walked out twice, or at least threatened to by turning my back on the counter, I ended up with a much better price than I started with. I think my set of tires ran just over $300 mounted and balanced, compared to the $500 or so we started with.

Is this typical? Thanks in advance.

DizWiz24 That was great insight. It's always good to have people "in the know" on this forum. You're in Kent? I'm a stone's throw away.

:cheers:
Old 12-21-2003, 10:42 AM
chilihed'95coupe
Racer

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Whitvette)

I've tried Yokohama's on my '87, and they were just okay. My '95 had SZ50's from Firestone. I did alot of research prior to buying, and for the money they cannot be beat. I got mine from the local Firestone dealer, and got em installed for under a grand for the set. I had to tell them that Tire rack had them for less, and they gave me a $200 discount off of retail. Total bill= $990.40, and they put the GSC to shame!!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:06 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (chilihed'95coupe)

Well I'll add my 2 cents worth ;) This is a 92 w/A4 and FE1 suspension.

When I bought it the factory GSCs were still on it. I didn't like them at all. The were noisey, wandered around the road and slid out very easily. If it wasn't for all the bad luck I've had with wear on GYs on other cars I would have bought the GS-D3.

Replaced with Firehawk SZ50s. I love those tires. Great in wet/dry right up to about 25K miles. Then the wet traction goes away. Also started autox this year and ran those for my novice runs. Trophied out of novice class on these. They were fun for autox when worn down.

Replaced those with Kumho MX. Mainly to run street tire class at autox. They're good for autox for their price. Hard to beat in that respect. Little buggers are noisey and had to be rebalanced twice. I've run a bunch of events this year and they probably have a couple of events left on them. Ran a concrete runway 4 times this year. That eats them up. So I can't complain about wear. They kick out fairly easy in autox but the driver probably has something to do with it too!

Now I just bought some Sumi HTRZ-II to try out for street only. They are on some early C5 black powder coated rims. Just to give my red coupe a little different look. I'll let you know what I think of them later. These will hopefully never see an autox event.

My factory rims will be fitted with a set of Victoracers once the MXs are gone just for autox.

Graham
Old 12-22-2003, 03:56 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (vms4evr)

:U Goodyears :U Goodyears :U Goodyears :U :U :U :U
Old 12-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Epyon127
Instructor

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Garys '92 LT1)

I went to the BFG g-Force KD's
and I love them!!
Progressive break away in corners they hook off the line and give a nice chirp powershifting into second.
Great tires (expensive though)
Old 12-25-2003, 11:27 AM
BLACKFLY86
Instructor

I have the Dunlops on my 86 now, they have terrible traction on wet roads, I've had the rear end slide a few times cornering, work well on dry warm roads. I'll be switching next spring to a Michelin sport, or pilot, Im told they have much better all weather traction, and wear better (cost more $$) The car was originally from San Diego, so Im sure they did'nt see to many wet roads, but here in New England unfortunately we do, often...
Below you will see Anniv88 seems to like the wet road traction of the Dunlop 8000, I disagree, could be my driving style, or the 4+3 manual, but I don't trust these tires on wet roads, and they only have about 4K miles on them, beware. JMO

[Modified by BLACKFLY86, 10:46 PM 12/27/2003]
Old 12-26-2003, 06:50 PM
tkrussell
Racer

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (BLACKFLY86)

I'll second the BFG KD's. They have great traction in the corner and straight ahead. Definitely not a rain tire, but I back off in the rain anyway. On the street, wet traction is decent. With the AntiLock Brakes, emergency stops are not a problem. You've got to have a soft foot on the gas, however.

Tread life is good, and they look great also. I've got 315's in the rear.

For a track tire, Kuhmos are probably better. For a rain tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport or the Goodyear D3GS. For a dry max performance street tire, the KD's are hard to beat. IMHO.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:32 PM
anniv88
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from GSC's to the 8000's when I had my 94. The Dunlop's have a
smoother ( softer ) ride. They are quieter. And they are great in the rain.

You will notice a big difference in corners. The Goodyears are more firm
and seem to hold the corner better. I was always more confident in the turns
with the Goodyears. Since I was after ride quality I prefered the 8000's.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:34 PM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Kumho's if you want to save money and still get a good tire!!! :auto:
Old 12-30-2003, 05:48 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (bigbozman)

I have P zero rossos. there the only ones with a 305/30/19.. or 'were' at the time or purchase. Besides that i like the BFG KDs. I had these on the 17s i had a few years back and they were unbelieveable when warm. They were like glue. I also had the so3 pole positions which compare to the pilot sports. I thought they were good tires, but i could care less for a tire designed for the rain.
to each his own. experience with all of them is the only answer. You cant really compare because not everyone drives the same or has the same power. :cheers:
Old 12-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Jimbo93
Drifting

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Jay 383)

I like my Kumho's :cheers:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

KUMHO'S KUMHO'S KUMHO'S I couldn't say it enough times. Get the MX's.
They are just a little more $, but well worth it.

:thumbs:

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires, Tires ?????