C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which is the best c4 factory engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (Ray Quayle)

L98 :thumbs:
Old 11-16-2003, 09:19 PM
myscx
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (Damien89)

I was told a 96 lt1 is a better motor than the lt4 because it is less complicated, and supposedly with a few minor mods the lt1 will produce as much or more HP :skep: :confused: :D
Old 11-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (myscx)

I was told a 96 lt1 is a better motor than the lt4 because it is less complicated, and supposedly with a few minor mods the lt1 will produce as much or more HP :skep: :confused: :D

Who was the numb nuts that told you that?

Old 11-17-2003, 11:34 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (Jeffvette)

Basically the LT1 and LT4 are the same with the exception of its heavy breathing heads and cam. There are other subtle differences but the basic platform is still the tried and trued small block. Now if you are talking about control, yes the LT4 used the later OBD2 controller which is much more complex as far as logic in the PCM is concerned. But its been well hacked and tuning is no longer an issue either.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:57 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (tjwong)

I am going by memory, but I thought that Lotus engineers designed the LT-5? I don't know where they were actually 'built", but I don't think that it counts as being built by the General! I am sure that this going to be like peeing on an electric fence, generally unpleasant. :eek:
Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 PM
michelc4
Intermediate

sans probleme le LT1 ou encore mieux un LT4
les differentes versions du L98 sont des moteurs tres coupleux mais la puissance chute rapidement apres 4500 RPM.
un LT1 legerement preparé ou un LT4 stock ont une plage d'utilisation de 1000
à 6000 RPM avec tous le couple necéssaire .

:chevy
Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When I am "driving" my C4 - there is no other engine that matters except for the LT5.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:27 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (michelc4)

Michel, mon ami, tu es un Grenouille, n'est pas? Try a little English, bro. You'd be rude as a mother scratcher if a yankee spouted off some english, not trying any French. And I almost understand what you wrote!! :seeya
Old 11-17-2003, 02:25 PM
all4c4lt4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (ANTI VENOM)

I am going by memory, but I thought that Lotus engineers designed the LT-5? I don't know where they were actually 'built", but I don't think that it counts as being built by the General! I am sure that this going to be like peeing on an electric fence, generally unpleasant. :eek:
Lotus (with help from GM) designed the LT5 for GM, but at the time GM owned Lotus. Merc assembled the motor as they had experience, quality, and small production line capability. GM didn't want to build its own assembly line for the LT5. I think all would agree Merc did a damn good job too.

I don't see how this can even be a "discussion" but the LT5 is the best motor for the C4. The LT4 is great performer and is more than just a head/cam factory lt1, but the LT5 was a big leap for GM and the sports car world.

That said, they are all great motors and can be moded to suit the owners' needs and out-perform the stock version of any other C4 motor, so the best one is what is in your own garage!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 PM
michelc4
Intermediate

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (jmrl98)

hello john,

of course i can read and write english but i appreciate to speak french in this forum.
but as you perhaps know french people are non-comformism.
i see that you are a teacher so you can try to understand the language of Voltaire.

with all my frienship

Michel :chevy
Old 11-17-2003, 03:30 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order
Late LT5(But you said don't include)
LT4
LT1(94-96)
LT1(92-93)
L98(of which I would say newer is better)
L83

Calloway isn't included, as it was more specialty and is an L98 with Turbo, not a motor alone.

Each has its pros and cons. I'd prefer an LT4 as its easy to modify and gives you a good base. L98 is cheaper to modify and maintain. LT5 is the best but hardest to modify.

Past this, you start a pi$$ing contest.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:29 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (MPforUSMC)

I like my lt1/2...sometimes i have 7 cylinders. I named the 8th one Paco. Paco makes me happy.
hahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lolg:
Old 11-17-2003, 05:30 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

They were built in Stillwater Oklahoma :yesnod:
Old 11-17-2003, 05:31 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

They were built in Stillwater Oklahoma. Designed by Lotus and built by a Marine company (forget the name).
Old 11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (Dandy97)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going by memory, but I thought that Lotus engineers designed the LT-5? I don't know where they were actually 'built", but I don't think that it counts as being built by the General! I am sure that this going to be like peeing on an electric fence, generally unpleasant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were built in Stillwater Oklahoma. Designed by Lotus and built by a Marine company (forget the name).
Mercury Marine :D

[Modified by _freakmonkeydogboy_, 5:06 PM 11/17/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (92TripleBlack)

LT5 is the best but hardest to modify.
Why is it hard to modify?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Hmmm...off the top of my head:

-To bore the block you need new sleeves for the cylinders ($$$$).
-To change cams you need 4 of them ($$$$) AND you have to get them ALL timed correctly.
-Not everyone makes pistons and rods to fit them ($$$$).
-Parts are REALLY expensive ($$$$$).
-You need that very special limited-production throttle-body to make it all work.

Not knocking the motor, but spare parts are at a premium for them since they didn't build a gazillion of them.

Yeah, the do-it-yourselfer CAN work on them, but man it is different than a good old push-rod V8.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is the best c4 factory engine?

Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 PM
TheStef
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (GlockLT4)

Michelc4 et jmrl98l, etes-vous francais? si oui, vous faite beaucoup de faute et vous devriez retourner a l'ecole. hahaha

I think the L98 feels stronger then a LT1 or LT4, but every one knows its not faster. I think for day to day driving the L98 give more seat of the pants feeling when floring the gas pedal for a few secounds down the street.

At a drag strip or highway, the LT1 and LT4 is better

[Modified by TheStef, 6:06 PM 11/17/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Which is the best c4 factory engine? (Joe90)

Hmmm...off the top of my head:

-To bore the block you need new sleeves for the cylinders ($$$$).
Same with the LSx

-To change cams you need 4 of them ($$$$) AND you have to get them ALL timed correctly.
Wrong, you can do two at a time, even DRM in some of their engine packages will only do the intake cams.

-Not everyone makes pistons and rods to fit them ($$$$).
Same can be said for every motor

-Parts are REALLY expensive ($$$$$).
If you don't have the money, don't play. But that doesn't make it hard to modify

-You need that very special limited-production throttle-body to make it all work.
You're bitching about a TB, out of all the parts on the motor??????

Not knocking the motor, but spare parts are at a premium for them since they didn't build a gazillion of them.
If you don't have the money, don't play. But that doesn't make it hard to modify.

Yeah, the do-it-yourselfer CAN work on them, but man it is different than a good old push-rod V8.
It's still an internal combustion engine, is it not?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:12 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

I can get any major rod & piston manufacturer to send me "almost" whatever configuration I want for a SBC and they'll have it "on-the-shelf" and it won't cost me a small fortune to get it. The same can't be said for the LT5. I got a complete forged bottom-end from Crower for less than $2,500...including the pistons.

Sure you have to sleeve an LSx motor...BUT we are not talking about C5's in this thread, are we? The question asked was the best motor for the C4.

You asked "what makes an LT5 hard to modify"...parts availability at REASONABLE prices is the answer to the question. If you have unlimited funds, then play with that LT5 all you want.

Man, sometimes you LT5 boys can be such bigots. Anybody even "questions" the heritage of the Mercury Marine LT5 and you fly off the deep end. Sure it is still an internal combustion V8, but it is NOTHING like a SBC. It is MUCH more complicated, has a gazillion parts and has 4 cams (no SBC I ever saw has that....)

I think if you read back through the entire thread you'll see that I said somewhere that I'd LOVE to have an LT5 sitting in the garage next to my beast.

But would I modify it?

Most likely not....I can invest 1/2 the amount of money in my L98 and get a much bigger bang for the buck than doing the LT5.

It's just life man....yeah, it's a rare beast...but you'll pay a lot to have it fixed when it finally breaks 10-20 years from now unless someone starts to manufacture parts for the darn things.

Heck, Lingenfelter wants $14.5k just for the "low horsepower" LT5 build of 475HP...that's about what I have invested in a completely new 427 SBC I'm building. For that I'll have about 750 FWHP...and I still have my original motor....

Quick Reply: Which is the best c4 factory engine?