C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 01:28 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help...

OK, I finally finished up the cam swap on my 92 last night. I took it out for a spin, and noticed it has a pretty big oil leak now. The leak is dripping off the rear of the cross member, so I am assuming its coming from where the pan meets the timing chain cover. I used brand new gaskets from the dealer, and some black RTV. I thought for sure it would seal just fine. Anyone got any tips for getting it to seal this time around?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:20 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (neat)

You are NOT suppose to put the glue all the way around the gasket. Did you do that? The manuals recommended procedure is what I did and mine is drip dry. It intructs you to put the glue at four places. The four edges where the crank fits into the pan - two in front and two in back. Maybe someon else can explain it better.

[Modified by ericcer, 8:28 AM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 08:28 AM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

fel pro makes a 1 piece gasket no sealer needed the gasket is blue reuseble gasket. check with a auto parts store. it is the last pan gasket you will buy.
mitch
speednut2@aol.com
Old 10-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the LT1/LT4, it is very difficult, if not almost impossible, to get the water pump drive seal on the timing cover to slip over the water pump drive shaft without the lip of the seal being folded backwards, unless you use the special Kent Moore tool for it.
After doing one of these, I bought the seal protector tool and the special crankshaft hub puller/installer from Kent Moore. It simply isn't worth the time to do it without them. The seal protector tool can be made.

Tom Piper
Old 10-25-2003, 10:18 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (Tom Piper)

I bought the seal protector tool and the special crankshaft hub puller/installer from Kent Moore. It simply isn't worth the time to do it without them. The seal protector tool can be made.
Tom Piper
Tom - can you give us a heads up on how much these tools cost? Thanks! :)
Old 10-25-2003, 11:43 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (MITCH)

fel pro makes a 1 piece gasket no sealer needed the gasket is blue reuseble gasket. check with a auto parts store. it is the last pan gasket you will buy.
I have that gasket, but I still smear a little RTV where the timing chain gasket meets the oilpan gasket if it is the first time the TC gasket was installed. After that I don't use it again as it stays in place.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On the LT1/LT4, it is very difficult, if not almost impossible, to get the water pump drive seal on the timing cover to slip over the water pump drive shaft without the lip of the seal being folded backwards, unless you use the special Kent Moore tool for it.
After doing one of these, I bought the seal protector tool and the special crankshaft hub puller/installer from Kent Moore. It simply isn't worth the time to do it without them. The seal protector tool can be made.

Tom Piper
I totally :iagree: No cam swapping vette owner should be without the Kent Moore LT1/4 hub puller/installer with seal protectors.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (Strick)

Just one more item, did you replace all the seals in the timing cover? Once they are disturbed, they don't seem to work very well.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:58 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (Strick)

nice to know... :thumbs:
Old 10-25-2003, 02:34 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

[quote]On the LT1/LT4, it is very difficult, if not almost impossible, to get the water pump drive seal on the timing cover to slip over the water pump drive shaft without the lip of the seal being folded backwards, unless you use the special Kent Moore tool for it.
After doing one of these, I bought the seal protector tool and the special crankshaft hub puller/installer from Kent Moore. It simply isn't worth the time to do it without them. The seal protector tool can be made. ]

I made a tool with a piece of plastic tubing I cut off my suction gun hose. I don't remember the exact size of the tubing, but it worked perfectly. I keep the piece of tubing around as a tool if I need to do another one.

[Modified by tpi 421 vette, 12:38 PM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 04:24 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Same thing happened to me. The shop that did it will not claim resposibility for the leak and said it was because I had too much crank case pressure!! I have no idea it they used the correct tools for the the water pump gasket or the crank. The bad thing is...they are suppossed to be a Vette shop. I paid them good movey and now I'm stuck with the leak. I gave him information I got from the forum and the internet and he says that thr Net is full of it and he trusts what hi mechanics tell him (sucks if he doesn't realise his mechanic could have botched the job) So now I'm trying to find a shop to correct this....Sorry, just venting
Old 10-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (cprgmr)

Tom - can you give us a heads up on how much these tools cost? Thanks! :)
If I remember right, the crankshaft puller/installer was about $190 and the water pump seal protector was about $18.

Tom Piper
Old 10-26-2003, 06:11 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Same thing happened to me. The shop that did it will not claim resposibility for the leak and said it was because I had too much crank case pressure!! I have no idea it they used the correct tools for the the water pump gasket or the crank. The bad thing is...they are suppossed to be a Vette shop. I paid them good movey and now I'm stuck with the leak. I gave him information I got from the forum and the internet and he says that thr Net is full of it and he trusts what hi mechanics tell him (sucks if he doesn't realise his mechanic could have botched the job) So now I'm trying to find a shop to correct this....Sorry, just venting
You are being screwed on this. If it wasn't leaking before the camshaft change it shouldn't be leaking now.

What he's giving you is a line of crankcase pressure BS!

I would not let it drop either; BBB or small claims court action to follow.

Jake
Old 10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Please post the shop's name so we all can stay AWAY from it.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:17 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (JAKE)

You are being screwed on this. If it wasn't leaking before the camshaft change it shouldn't be leaking now.

Jake[/QUOTE]

Jake
I would like to find a reliable shop to check the work and confirm if it was something the installer did or did not due. Then if I repair it andit solves the leak, I will confront the original installer for re-imbursement on the proper repair. I don't want to slam him just yet, his body shop does good work, but his new mechanic ( I liked his old one ) is not on the ball.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:20 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help... (MITCH)

I recomend the one piece oil pan gasket also.

I used one years ago in my Trans Am, and when I changed the front and rear main on my vette, I used one also.

Now neither one leaks!!! :thumbs:

:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help...

Quick Reply: Cam swap complete, massive oil leak, need help...