C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 AM
jutammel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this??

Just couple of days ago i got my injectors cleaned. At the same time I cleaned runners, Plenum and throttle body. I also ported the plenum. I also intalled new IAC, Egr valve and 180 degree thermostat. All gaskets are new also.
Now my car starts up like a rocket no matter if the engine is warm or cold. My injectors were in pretty crappy condition. A new problem has surfaced however.
Car starts fine but it almost immediately dies. I have to do this 3-4 times before it keeps running. This morning when I was going to work the car just died?! I mean power was on and all that but pressing the pedal would have no effect what so ever. It just rolled along with its momentum. Just when I was going to pull it side of the road it got spark and started to run normally. So weird. Could faulty coil be causing these symptoms?? I have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor this summer.
Thanks

1988 vette
Old 10-10-2003, 07:20 AM
jutammel
Instructor

Default Re: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this?? (jutammel)

Anybody any ideas?? :confused:
Old 10-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did it stall while in idle or while you were driving along? Could be a faulty coil, or maybe a fuel pump??
Old 10-10-2003, 09:27 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this?? (Aaron71771)

Did it stall while in idle or while you were driving along? Could be a faulty coil, or maybe a fuel pump??
:iagree: I would also check the fuel filter.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
jutammel
Instructor

Default Re: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this?? (ittlfly)

Fuel filter has been changed this summer. It stalls usually right after it has started. Usually in the first start up in the morning. But not always thou..
This morning it did stall when I was driving 40 mph. Yesterday it stalled when I was accelerating WOT on the freeway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it would be the fuel pump, shouldn't it stutter and sputter and not just die in the middle of drive?? My bet is on the coil.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Topless87
Racer

I will assume you adjusted your TPS and idle after all that work. If not, you should (see tech tips). You did a lot of work up top. Did you check your fuel pump relay? I know my 87s relay connector had about 1/2 inches of bare wire that under certain conditions would short and cause the engine to stop. Does the dash and other electronics stay on, and the engine just dies like you disconnected fuel/coil? I have heard of coils going out, but it seems strange that it comes back fine for long periods, then dies completely again. I'd give the bad coil theory lower odds than a connection problem somewhere.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:53 PM
bstirn
Racer

I dont think its youre coil either . :iagree:
Old 10-10-2003, 09:18 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's the coil. Usually , if a coil is going bad, it will be hard to start when the engin is hot and if it were to quit while running, tha car would not start until the coil cooled down. Sounds to me like you idle adjustment or tps setting is off. :cheers:
Old 10-11-2003, 05:54 AM
jutammel
Instructor

Default Re: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this?? (dwestsr)

Hmm.. now that I think of I didn't adjust my idle or TPS sensor after all what i had done. I'm going check those immediately! Maybe I should check the timing also.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:56 AM
jutammel
Instructor

Default Re: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this?? (Topless87)

[ Does the dash and other electronics stay on, and the engine just dies like you disconnected fuel/coil? ]

Dash and electronics stay on. The engine just... dies, like disconnected coil. That's why I suspected coil damage. But I will check my idle and TPS first.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:30 PM
rollervette
Navigator

I'm thinking fuel pump. In my experience, the symptoms mirror what you're experiencing, i.e. engine cuts out without any warning or sputtering. If that turns out to be the problem, I would use AC Delco pump and sock to replace. It's a pretty straightforward job.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this??

Quick Reply: Help needed! Could faulty coil cause this??