C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fidanza flywheel question...

Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 AM
ncsugreywolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fidanza flywheel question...

Replacing my old clutch and daul mass flywheel with a Fidanza flywheel. Has anybody here used one or know anything about these flywheels?

Joal
Old 10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
lowner
Navigator

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (ncsugreywolf)

I'm about to do the same. Got the new Fidanza aluminum single mass F/W and sprung hub clutch disk, just no time to spare for the swap.

:lurk:
Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
JF_AH_64
Pro

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (lowner)

Thinking of doing the same when the time comes, let us know your opinions afterwards.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (JF_AH_64)

I've had mine for awhile, works perfectly. I spoke with Bill Boudreau at ZR51 performance & he recommended purchasing thru Carolina Clutch which I did. Be forewarned it has little mass & is very noisy. Accelerates out of corners like you won't believe.

BTW, there are seperate part numbers for the LT series flywheel... http://www.aluminumflywheels.com/docs/flywheel.xls
http://www.carolinaclutch.com/caroli...erformance.htm
Old 10-09-2003, 10:00 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (JF_AH_64)

I'm not sure about going away from the stock dual mass flywheel...I put in a centerforce with a non dual mass and a hub sprung clutch and it make a heck of a raquet at idle and has terrible vibration under heavy loads at low RPM's in 5th and 6th gear. I'm planning on going back to the stock dual mass. I also heard that the Fidanza dual mass has not held up well (according to DRM)
Old 10-09-2003, 11:17 PM
ncsugreywolf
Racer

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Well we have the work done and sheesh..talk about the noise!! Gonna have to muscle up the exhaust now :reddevil

Also same as Hottvette pointed out about some vibrations going on at lower RPMs and when starting off using very light pressure on the clutch. Am currently talking with the techies at Fidanza to see what can be done about the noise and the vibrations. Will repost as soon as I find out something from them.

One other thing I have to add....If you really don't give a rat's butt about that gear noise...then you will jump outta your skin at the difference in how quick you reach your rev limit....holy cow it's quick.

[Modified by ncsugreywolf, 11:18 PM 10/9/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (superlund)

My clutch is in need of replaceing and most likely the flywheel as well.

Did you have the new flywheel balanced to the old flywheel?

thanks

--steve
Old 10-10-2003, 09:36 PM
ncsugreywolf
Racer

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (Raistlin)

Steve,

The Fidanza I ordered came with a counter weight which we installed. Straight bolt on..there are a few things you have to do to the flywheel like heat it up on a hot plate first and some jargon like that which comes with the instructions...I would have to say that if we hadn't added that weight...the whole engine would be rocking and vibrating badly right now..but as it is with the weight added it idles smooth.

As for the tech guy at Fidanza....geez..he wants me to change to a sprung hub disc(more$$) and do something else to the transmission(more $$).

So much for my savings..could have just put in a Dual Mass GM Flywheel in and forget about it. Still gonna look for more things to do..will repost more when I find out more.

Joal

[Modified by ncsugreywolf, 9:37 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 09:44 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Steve,

The Fidanza I ordered came with a counter weight which we installed. Straight bolt on..there are a few things you have to do to the flywheel like heat it up on a hot plate first and some jargon like that which comes with the instructions...I would have to say that if we hadn't added that weight...the whole engine would be rocking and vibrating badly right now..but as it is with the weight added it idles smooth.

As for the tech guy at Fidanza....geez..he wants me to change to a sprung hub disc(more$$) and do something else to the transmission(more $$).

So much for my savings..could have just put in a Dual Mass GM Flywheel in and forget about it. Still gonna look for more things to do..will repost more when I find out more.

Joal

[Modified by ncsugreywolf, 9:37 PM 10/10/2003]
I'm guessing that the aftermarket flywheels help rev quicker, but I'm not sure I can live with the noise. I'm not a hardcore racer. I also have the LT1/LT4 conversion with the Hotcam and some exhaust work. The exhaust helps mask some of the noise. Unless someone comes up with a lighter dual mass flywheel, I might go back to the VERY heavy stock set up. I guess i'll have to do more mods to make up for the loss in revs!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:27 PM
lspalding
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Everybody's right. The noise is a killer and the revs are a thriller. When I built my 383 I went back to DM. If anyone wants to pick up my Fidanza, will sell with sprung disk for good price. 10,000 miles on them.

lspalding@ameritech.net
Old 10-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Joal
:cheers:
Old 10-12-2003, 12:44 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (lspalding)

With all the added rattling noise when the dual mass flywheel was deleted, did any of you guys that are using it experience any knock retard from the PCM? Did you check? Something to think about seeing how the knock sensor will even pick up roller rocker noise and will give premature and false knock retard.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:56 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (tjwong)

Here's the thread on that issue....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=667911
Old 10-12-2003, 10:55 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Fidanza flywheel question... (tjwong)

With all the added rattling noise when the dual mass flywheel was deleted, did any of you guys that are using it experience any knock retard from the PCM? Did you check? Something to think about seeing how the knock sensor will even pick up roller rocker noise and will give premature and false knock retard.
I was getting a little 2° before I installed the LT4 knock module. I don't get any now. It is noisey and takes some getting use to driving. I don't mind the noise. Exhaust drowns out most of it anyway. :D What it doesn't handle the stereo can always make up for. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Fidanza flywheel question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fidanza flywheel question...