C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My steering column is killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:37 AM
milehighvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My steering column is killing me!

My 92 6speed steering column has had bad tilt wiggle ever since I bought it. Since then I have tightend the torx screws that are a common culprit, shimmed up the spring, and even fabricated a pair of bushings for the pivot pins because the holes appeared to be ovaled out and yet after all of this work and headache, the column is as sloppy as ever. It makes me want to sell the car. :mad :banghead:

Does anybody have any more suggestions for me? If I could find a used solid column I would simply replace the entire thing. I love the car but chevy gets an F minus for their steering column design.

Ok, now that I have vented does anybody have any suggestions for me? :cry
Old 09-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: My steering column is killing me! (milehighvette)

Very common problem...I looked into having mine repaired..$900.00... :eek: ..I live with it for now...FWIW, this is caused primarily by pushing off the steering wheel while getting out of the car...I never do that anymore... :nono: ...good luck
Old 09-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Replace the column. I have an 84 and did just what you mentioned. I replaced the column with a used one and all is fine. I had to install the ignition from my old column, the used one came without one. I then took apart the old one and in the process the ball bearings fell on the ground. I guess they wear out with time. In any event, good luck.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:43 PM
milehighvette
Advanced

Default Re: My steering column is killing me! (Brimis)

I think I will take everybody's advice and just replace the column. There is a 94-96 column available from a person who says it will work in my 92. Is this true? Are all of the wiring harnesses the same? If not can I reuse all of the wiring out of my existing column? If somebody knows I would greatly appreciate it.

I have got to get this fixed. It makes my corvette feel like a chevette! :(
Old 09-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I think I will take everybody's advice and just replace the column. There is a 94-96 column available from a person who says it will work in my 92. Is this true? Are all of the wiring harnesses the same? If not can I reuse all of the wiring out of my existing column? If somebody knows I would greatly appreciate it.

I have got to get this fixed. It makes my corvette feel like a chevette! :(
Yep, same stuff. I spent the big bucks at the dealership....$900 out the door. :eek: I'll do it myself next time. Get the used one and install it. Actually, you could strip it out and use the parts inside, but replacing the whole assy will likely be easier.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:51 PM
milehighvette
Advanced

I gave my broken column several good ole college trys but I think its time to just replace it. Sounds like I should not try to force a 94-96 column in. If anybody knows of a 91-93 column out there for sale let me know. I am getting to be pretty good at yanking the column out of the car though.

thanks boys
Old 09-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert in steering columns (I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express) , but I have driven most of the model years between 91 and 96 and all appear to be the same. Perhaps others will chime in. Just make sure you swap your ignition switch with the new one.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
2012 coupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a GM parts kit for this problem. Part #'s, (two different wheels made) are:
26059718 & 26002678. You can order them through GM. You will have to take the wheel apart and replace the pins and springs with the new ones in the kit. I hope this helps.
:flag
Old 09-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

If you go with the column replacement, email me and I'll give you the # of the fellow I bought mine from. I paid $175.00 plus $22.00 to ship from Fl. to NJ
Old 09-19-2003, 09:52 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: My steering column is killing me! (Brimis)

Went through the same with my 92. Tightened all 4 of the torx screws and even had the housing with the pivot pins replaced for $600. It did ok for about a week then back to wiggle. Get a used column from somewhere like Tabor's Corvette parts and have it replaced. I may do the later, but it bothers me now.

Get notified of new replies

To My steering column is killing me!

Quick Reply: My steering column is killing me!