C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job?

The only problem, I mean ONLY problem I have against my car is the stiffness. I have a hardtop on my car that really strenghten the car. This car feels way stiffer than my friend's '94 Vette. But I still get a little flexing over a real bad driveway at my school. I want a real solid car and i'm will to do anything to the chassis. If I need swing out bars to have a stiff car I will do it. I don't care if I need to cut the decklid. I'm never selling this car. I'm really considering having a roll cage built even though i'm focus on school more than performance right now. I have fun just driving my car. But removing this problem would make it great.

I'm wondering how stiff can a roll cage actually get the car. I've seen a few nice cages on this forum but nobody really talks about a stiffer car. I just want to know if you approach an extremely steep driveway, does your car make a flexing noise?

Right now i'm leaning on the exotic muscle bar .

I'm willing to go this far.

But if it doesn't totally eliminate my problem I won't bother.

Thanks. :cheers:

[Modified by Raysur, 5:35 PM 9/18/2003]
Old 09-18-2003, 08:55 PM
95AquaC4
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (Raysur)

My harness bar from Arizona Speed and Marine, and my RD Racing Camber brace really stiffened my car up. :yesnod: Harness bar almost $600, and Camber brace for less than $200.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (95AquaC4)

Mine really stiffined up with the Camber Brace and the Cross Bar. Now I have the S/T Frame Support (see right pic in sig) and I can recommend it highly!! :thumbs:
Its bolted in now, but can be weled in if you want. Check out the thread I posted when I got it for more info and pics. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=636509

Edit, just saw you have a vert. Dave at R-D Racing will have the vert version out soon.

[Modified by Gary96LT4, 8:15 PM 9/18/2003]
Old 09-18-2003, 09:35 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (Raysur)

Totally up to you.
Good Luck
tony
Old 09-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Personally I would go with a custom bar.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (Mr Mojo)

Personally I would go with a custom bar.
:iagree:
Old 09-19-2003, 02:37 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (Ramrod92)

here's one for sale
http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/s...7031#post27031
Old 09-19-2003, 05:20 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a real solid car and i'm will to do anything to the chassis. If I need swing out bars to have a stiff car I will do it. I don't care if I need to cut the decklid. I'm never selling this car. I'm really considering having a roll cage built even though i'm focus on school more than performance right now.
Whoa Jeff! You are not messing around :D
Try Reb's in Reseda. The Kardell brothers. Fantastic work. Link within link in my sig. See customer's cars. That's Gary's black C5.
I'm thinking a main hoop, 2 down braces in the hatch. Just a guess, but looks like most flexion would occur between the rear wheels and the firewall, so add a halo bar shaped so rear view mirror can still be used (visors flipped forward) and 2 down braces along the windshield to the sills. You could add swingouts later if still not satisfied. If mild steel, this will add a ton of weight. I have a 10 pt. mild steel in a corner of the garage. Decided not to use ms and go for much lighter chrome-moly. I almost made it to reb's shop today to sketch out the new cage/plan, but motor had issues half way there.
Also, you could consider using the X-brace under the car(or does yours have it already?).

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 2:21 AM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 11:31 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I just had R-D Racing's S/T Frame Support installed, and it made a huge difference in chassis stiffness.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:12 PM
86VETTEMAN
Pro

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (STL94LT1)

I built my own harness bar. It cost me $20 for materials and welded it myself. I used 2" Aluminum Tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. Two 1" square tubing with 1/8" wall thickness at about 8" long and 1/4" L-angle at about 4" Long to bolt to the roof storage points. If you would like to see it give me your e-mail adress and I will send you some pics.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (89 Paul in Cal)

Thanks guys. I'm definately going to look into a custom job.:cheers:

Paul,
I'm real serious:yesnod:. If I have to seal my doors shut and go through the window i'm doing it. :yesnod: :D

What you described is exactly what I think I need. I feel that flex happens since the windshield has no reinforcement to the rear of the car. A top is some but not really structural. I would love to get bars running down the windshield pillar but I don't think it could clear my dash.

I have a x brace, camberbrace but no harness. I felt it was too much money. I never found the time to make one either. My car is noticeable stiffer compared to my friend's Vette and my brother's Vette. I want no creaks.

Do you guys running rollbars get any creaks? I want the car to feel dead solid. My test is the steep driveway at my school. Damn it's bad. :smash:

[Modified by Raysur, 4:15 PM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-19-2003, 08:33 PM
cwiehle
Heel & Toe

I've never posted a picture before so I don't know if it worked. If you're anywhere near Melrose T-Tops give them a call. they are serious racers and can answer your questions. The picture is of their most recent C-5 and cage. [IMG][/IMG] http://melroset-tops.com/IM000007.jpg
Old 09-19-2003, 08:45 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (cwiehle)

[IMG]http://melroset-tops.com/IM000007.jpg[/IMG]

thats a helluva cage! :eek:
Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (neverendingproject)

That's a real nice cage. I wonder how much. :eek:
Old 09-20-2003, 04:15 AM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

If you end up not doing custom or full cage, Doug Rippie's site has a nice bar to put in the back, I've seen it in a few cars as well, looks very nice and fits perfect.

Good Luck :cheers:
Old 09-20-2003, 01:50 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

I had a custom 6pt chromemoly bar fabbed for $800. To stop the flexing you really need forward tubes for triangulation. Main hoop goes to the rear frame where is comes up behind the seats, forward tubes down to the side frame rail, rear tubes to the frame at the differential mounts. And make sure it's welded to the frame with big steel plates to distribute the load. The front mount points are as far forward as possible while still enabling my 6' / 300lb self to get in/out; those more athletic could go closer to the firewall.

My car is immensely stiff even with no roof; and I roadrace it with pretty serious springs / shocks with no chassis flex. The rollcage solution works much better than any X-brace because it triagulates; plus doesn't sacrifice ground clearance, adds rolloever safety, and gives you a place to mount harnesses. You could always start with a 4pt EM or DRM bar and just have someone fab the forward downtubes.

Lots of pics and diagrams on my page if you're looking for ideas:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/gcr...r/rollbar.html

Old 09-21-2003, 04:28 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (gcrouse)

Raysur,

Have you considered Duct taping the doors closed? :lol: :D :D :D

Sorry I couldnt resist! By the way got my ZR1 tires and rims :)

mo

Get notified of new replies

To I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job?

Old 09-21-2003, 09:58 AM
vetterestorer
Drifting

this is what you are looking http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=677 9&item=2432803942

[Modified by vetterestorer, 10:03 AM 9/21/2003]
Old 09-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Default Re: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job? (vetterestorer)

gcrouse,
Great site:yesnod:. With a 6 point cage does your car still creak going up a steep driveway?

I'm gather a list of shops to get quotes. I'm definately leaning on a six point or a 8 point like the Corvette Challenge cars. Nothing less at this point.

Thanks for the link, i'm bookmarking your site :thumbs:

Mo_Bandy,
How do you like your wheels? It will really set off your car. Especially since your car has a great stance. Did you get a 17X11 for the rear? :cheers:

I've tried the tape since I closed up the gaps my car felt faster but only a little stiffer. I might go with a pvc roll cage next. :D
Old 09-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi Raysur,

I thought you'd enjoy the friendly sparing... :lol:

Have goodyear tires 9 1/2 in the front 11 in the rear 315 35 17's like yours with the ZR offset so the wheels are right at the lip of the fender

Check out my webite ( in my sig) under prior vettes I have pics there... the ride and traction are awesome.. the tires fill the wells being about 1 1/2 dropped...

Hope to see you at the car show soon...

Mo

[Modified by Mo_Bandy, 4:12 PM 9/21/2003]

Quick Reply: I want a stiffer car should a buy a bolt in roll bar or do a custom job?