C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[89] Optima Battery which one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:51 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default [89] Optima Battery which one??

my battery died (I think I left the dome light or something on.. OOPS)

Anyway I am thinking of going to an Optima, Which one do I need and how well does it fit? I am also using a post adapter for my Amp, it screws in the side with the starter wire but then is has a stud for the amp wire.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 11:35 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (-=Jeff=-)

I recently put an Optima red top in my '92. It has 720 CCA, which is more than the 690 recommened by GM. I'm not sure, but I believe the yellow tops have more power, but that isn't necessary unless you have lots of high power stereo equipment. I believe the blue tops are deep cycle marine batteries, which you definitely don't want. I don't know anything about the fit of the yellow and blue tops.

The red top fit fine in my '92, but: the top positive post (not used in our C4s as they have side terminals; the Opitma has both) was very close to a metal support for the hood latch. Since the support is likely grounded, you don't want the terminal to touch the support. There's a cover on the post, but I wrapped electical tape around the cover a bunch of times, just to be sure. Also, I trimmed two small plastic tabs on the battery tray so that I could move the battery outboard and away from that support another 1/4 inch. The Optima fits fine and works great!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:48 PM
vettek50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (BlackbirdZ07)

Just get one that fits..problem solved :yawn:
Old 09-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Don't bother with Optima batteries, they SUCK!!:U

Dry cell batteries only have one advantage: No Acid. This makes them ideal for mounting inside the car, and in any position. Your battery is outside....

They have a very short life span, and are very expensive! If more stored power is what you want, go with the highest CCA and power with the same size as stock. A good battery dealer can tell what will fit.

My amps put out 500 watts together and with my stock sized battery and stock alt., I have no problems. :thumbs:
Old 09-17-2003, 04:15 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (Q1KSLVR)

Hmmm... that's the first negative opinion of Optima batteries I've heard. I've had a couple and they've both yet to go bad. I'll bet the Optima I just put in my '92 lasts longer than the 84 month Excide it replaced, which died after about 30 months. To each his own... :rolleyes:
Old 09-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (BlackbirdZ07)

:rant: Florida heat is a great place to test a battery's life.

Sorry, but Exide is K-Mart Crap! Along with Energizer, Ever Start, Diehard... get the picture? These companies take your battery, charge it and put their sticker on it, and sell it again. Or, yank out the guts, clean them off and put it in their case.:nonod:

Original GM or Interstate seems to be a good buy as they seem to last the longest...

I have a "Day Starter". My dealer tried to sell them and it has a 5 year "no pro rate" warr. If you can find a dealer, it's a damn good battery and you can't beat the warr.:thumbs:

Working for a Chevy dealer, you see EVERYTHING, and as soon as it gets hot out, the junk batteries come in like a swarm!

Old 09-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (Q1KSLVR)

Original GM or Interstate seems to be a good buy as they seem to last the longest...

I don't agree, AC Delco batteries are the worst. They will only last long if they don't fall apart first.

I've only had one Interstate battery and it justdied, but since it was in teh car when I bought it, I have no idea how old it was.

Now back to the original question, just make sure you get one that fits properly. I bought a NAPA/Exide battery(supposedly the equivalent of the Optima) and it doesn't fit perfect, but I made some slight modifications to make it fit.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:59 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started looking at batteries and I apparently the C5's are using an "absorbent glass matt" battery which is about 5.7 pounds lighter than a C4 oem battery. Battery weights are sure kind of secret. This presumably is a more reliable battery.

I found AC DELCO part #75P7YR as a battery of this type that would fit in a C4.

This is not a recommendation but a suggestion as to something to check out.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:47 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (LT4BUD)

Thanks guys..

the Optimared top sounds good with the 720 CCA but I am concerned about the top post.

I looked into the AC Delco AGM and they are only 550 CCA. Now I am not one to drive my vette int he winter and I also keep in on the Battery tender during those months.

So I still have not decided. the AC Delco is around $80 and the optima locally is around $110
Old 09-17-2003, 12:01 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a Group 75 battery, not the Group 70. the Group 70 batteries don't have the cranking power the Group 75 batteries have. As for brands, to each his own. I have had the best luck with GNB made batteries. They have lasted the longest in any car I have ever had. When the battery in my Vette died (was about 6 months old and was installed by the dealership when I bought the car, some no name Group 70 battery), I went with a Delco Group 75 with the 84 month warranty. The Delco batteries have more cranking power when you get the longer warranties. In Florida, batteries don't last long. This one has been fine for about 2 years, but I know it will be dying soon. :smash:
Old 09-17-2003, 01:54 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Looks like the Optima Redtop Model 75/35 with 720 cca weighs 33.1pounds minimum per an Optima brochure I have. Wonder what the 525cca Delco agm weighs.

525cca is the rating of the oem battery in 96 vettes. This is a recommended battery for a 1996 Corvette if you go to http://www.acdelco.com & chase down the part. Batteries are listed under electrical.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:01 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (LT4BUD)

Looks like the Optima Redtop Model 75/35 with 720 cca weighs 33.1pounds minimum per an Optima brochure I have. Wonder what the 525cca Delco agm weighs.

525cca is the rating of the oem battery in 96 vettes. This is a recommended battery for a 1996 Corvette if you go to http://www.acdelco.com & chase down the part. Batteries are listed under electrical.
Thanks I went to the AC Delco website and found the 525 AGM listed for my year along with the 650 regular style battery.

I think I will get the AC Delco and try it..
Old 09-17-2003, 03:32 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

If possible please try to weigh the battery & post its weight. Hopefully you will have good luck.

I still have the original battery in my 96 and I never replaced the battery in my 89 so I would say I personally have had good luck with the Delco battery as far as a brand goes.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a note for you, we had a good discussion a few weeks ago about Optimun batteries and someone brought up "thermal runaway potential" So, I sent an e-mail to Optima and asked about this condition. Two weeks later they answered without much explaination that they have had it occur, but only when the battery voltage dropped below zero. ??? :confused: BTW, a thermal runaway can cause a fire which isn't too cool in a Vette. How often does this happen? Not very often I'd guess, but I don't want to be the one.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

If they make an Interstate to fit Corvette, that's the one that I'll be replacing with. They are excellent hot climate batteries.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:42 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (Lichen)

Well I decided to go with the Optima. one os the MAIN reasons was Murrays Discount Auto was listed as a carrier of AC DELCO but does not carry the AGM. I did not really want another wet cell, so I figured I would give the Optima Red Top a try.. it has a 3 year full replacement warranty, so we shall see..
Old 09-17-2003, 05:57 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my Optima Red Top mounted in the R/H rear storage compartment for two years w/o any problems at all.
FWIW, It has gone completely dead (daughter) and I didn't have any problems...

Get notified of new replies

To [89] Optima Battery which one??

Old 09-20-2003, 03:46 PM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (superlund)

Jeff-
2 of the 3 Optima Red-Tops have dual terminals (both top and side):

Model 34/78 is 800cca with 110min reserve
Model 75/35 is 720cca with 90min reserve

I mounted the larger 34/78 in my 89 with just minor filing of the battery tray; the 75/35 is a drop in but a wimpier battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ.../technical.asp
Old 09-20-2003, 06:02 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (gcrouse)

Normal Usage,Car driver every week of several times a week--> Optima Red Top

Vette sits for weeks not driven or cranked--> Optima Yellow Top

Yellow Top Is their 'Deep Cycle' battery.

Optima is NOT a 'Dry Cell' battey.

They DO have gell electrolyte. Newer technology.
They are more resistant to sulfation, the thing that kills normal lead/acid batteries.
Spiral cell technology exposes more of the plate material to the electrolyte.

It's a LOT better idea and you deserve to have it.

Unless you want to cheap out there are no other choices.
Red Top if you drive your Vette.
Yellow Top if you admire your Vette more than you drive it.

Case Closed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [89] Optima Battery which one?? (VetNutJim)

I need new battery as well.

So where can I buy Optima red top model 34/78 800 CCA

Bruce
383LT1 Supercharged

Quick Reply: [89] Optima Battery which one??