C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

changing to poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 AM
corvette90
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default changing to poly bushings

hi all

i want to change my ( worn, old) rubber bushings to polys...

looked at suspension.com, anybody know about their products, how is the service of this company?

is it very difficult to change the bushings?`?
special things to look at??

àny help and hints would be very nice!!!

thank you!!!! :cheers:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:23 AM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: changing to poly bushings (corvette90)

Polyurethane bushings are getting pretty high on my to-do list also. My car lived in Southern Cali and Arizona most of it's life, so the rubber bushings aren't in the best shape. Vette Brakes has a sale going for their sets, I believe it's about $70 for the front and 110 for the rear, but you'll have to get another 2 sets for the swaybars. I imagine they don't include them because of how many diff size bars were available over the years. I've used VB parts before and they are top quality.

As far as the Energy Susp parts(what they carry at Suspension.com), I have heard good things, just make sure to get the graphite impregnated ones so you don't have everything squeaking constantly.

I can't tell you how hard it is to change the bushings out, but I completely tore apart both the front and rear suspensions of my '86 to replace all the parts with Z51 spec stuff, and there's a couple spots that are not fun. The rear's not too bad, but you'll have to tear a lot of stuff apart to get to the diff carrier bushings. On the front, the only real problem is getting the steering rack lined up when you put it back in.

BTW, this is a good time to replace the springs if you have any thoughts of doing it later. The front one is a chore to get to.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:37 PM
flubuyu2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want balljoints and all go to http://www.p-s-t.com good stuff! :yesnod:
Old 09-10-2003, 05:51 PM
robert5168
Intermediate

ive done it to my 88 vette and it is well worth the money and the effort; it will improve the ride and handeling greatly. i used to have a problem with my rear bearing going bad every year. since i replaced my front and rear with poly bushing i donot have that problem anymore. i did the work my self except for having the old rubber and the new poly pressed in.

email me for more info and i will give you my number to tell you more about it

[Modified by Robert L Lucien Jr, 4:54 PM 9/10/2003]
Old 09-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I just finished mine, same year as yours. Part of DRM extragrip install (coilovers). Some parts were a real pita, but I bought one of these bench top presses and that helped a lot. Although a second set of hands to hold things & then run the press would have been nice. Here are a couple of pics.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:58 PM
fnseeker
Instructor

It is well worth the effort. Did mine completely two tears ago or about 8000 miles. You will need a press to complete the job. Don't buy the small one. If you can get a hydrollic one. The extra $50. spent will save way more than this in frustration. Your local tool store can help you with this.
At first your suspension will be very rough. It does smooth out with use .So hang in there. The handling is terrific. Oh and use lots of the grease that is sent . Good luck. :auto:
Old 09-10-2003, 08:20 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap Trog! I needed to go out to the car to get my shades to see your suspension! Fantastic job! Killer work:cool:
Re: swaybar bushings and endlinks
Anyone know if the swaybar and endlink bolts need to be tightened with the car on the ground? or OK if unweighted?

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 5:24 PM 9/10/2003]
Old 09-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Daves90
Pro

I used the Graphite impregnated Urethane from Summit Racing(Energy Suspension I think) and it was the best thing I have done to date.. I had another forum member(Arisa) put mine in and did shocks while I was there.. Also lowered the car about 1.5 all the way around.. Best mod ever!!.. Only problem is it tends to inspire "over" confidence now and again..!! :eek:
Old 09-11-2003, 07:30 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: changing to poly bushings (89 Paul in Cal)

Anyone know if the swaybar and endlink bolts need to be tightened with the car on the ground? or OK if unweighted?
They must be tightened at ride height.

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To changing to poly bushings

Quick Reply: changing to poly bushings