C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:52 PM
90whitevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings?

Yesterday while driving I heard a whining sound coming from my engine bay area. Tonight took my 90 (non ZR) for a ride (approx 6 miles round trip) and barely made it back home to discover the battery (which was showing fully charged the day before) is now not charging and died as I pulled up to my home. The whining sound I am assuming is from my alternator bearings? :confused: Although its obvioulsy not charging my battery, instead of buying a new alternator, is it possible that its just flawed alternator bearings? Is it possible at this point to still rule out a wasted alternator and save some bucks with just getting new bearings? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 AM
goodson
Advanced

Default Re: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings? (90whitevette)

I would pull it out and take it to an alternator shop. Whether it is bearings or diodes, an alternator shop can rebuild it at about one half the price of replacing it. Luckily, changing the alternator is one of the easiest things to do on a vette.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:40 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings? (90whitevette)

If your alternator is not charging, then you should have seen the red battery symbol light on the dash. Whining sound could be the alternator and stopping and lifting the hood (engine idling) and listening can pinpoint the source. Also feel the temperature of the alternator , you should be able to touch it and not get burned. If it is so hot you cannot keep your finger on it and it is making ugly noises, unplug the connector on the alternator and if the noise stops, your alternator is toast. Have your alternator rebuilt, or turn it in and replace it.
The alternator bearings can be replaced separately and an electrical specialty shop is about the only place that will do that as car mechanics don't want to spend the time.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your battery is dead charge it up on a charger and not with your new alternator.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 AM
96Silver_Conv
Advanced

dude thats a lot of work to change bearings take it to the altenator rebuild shop and get it tested. the shop will tell you if it's bearings and or diodes. charge the battery with a trickle charger. my 2c have fun :cheers:
Old 09-10-2003, 04:00 AM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Sounds like your alternator has had it. It is a lot of work to change the bearings. Usually if you replace one bearing the other one goes out or brushes or a rectifier later. NAPA used to have all of that kind of stuff. Now a days I just get a life time replacement from the autozone. You might want to take your serpentine belt off and see how your components feel, alternator and smog pump. The best way to check the alternator output is with a digital volt meter. Just hook it up to your battery and start the car. You battery should be around 12 volts without the car running and about 14 with it running if your alternator is putting out. I would just do an exchange on it and wouldn't bother with getting it rebuilt unless you think it might be date coded?
Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Like everybody says the alt probably died. Here is another discussion about alts that is going on right now, it contains some aspects that are worth considering right now: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=646690

Good luck,

ToniH
Old 09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My alt. had the same symptoms a few weeks ago. Whined like a blower and I watched the voltage drop on as I drove. I went to Advanced Auto, picked up a reman. unit for $112 (+$35 core) with lifetime warranty. Ended up replacing the belt with a Dayco for the core charge. $150 for a belt and alt. with warranty. Money well spent IMHO.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:35 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings? (Steel Blue 91)

:iagree: Same thing with me, charged battery, replaced alt and belt, no problems, Oh had to also replace my alt bracket due to stress cracks, something also to check while the alts out...
Old 09-10-2003, 10:58 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings? (vinnies87)

Oh, yes - sounds good...well it doesn't after you have replaced it 5 or 6 times like I have :mad :rolleyes: There is many more of us in the forum. If I remember correctly somebody had their 9th replacement running a year back when I got fed up with the CS-130. Well my present CS-144 is the first one that has lasted a full year and no sign of any problems yet.

What I have heard the original alt usually lasted quite a long time and the problems started with the rebuilds.

Well, everybody make their own choice.

ToniH

Last edited by ToniH; 04-27-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: link
Old 09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
90whitevette
Advanced

Default Re: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings? (ToniH)

Thanks all. Removed my alternator had it tested at a local auto parts store which proved it went bad. Got a remanufactured ACDelco for $79 with lifetime warranty. Removal and install is extremely simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings?

Quick Reply: Whining sound, alternator not charging. Dead? Bearings?