C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 06:44 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open.

I think my fuel problem has to be the refurbished injectors I put on. They're from a 93 LT1, and were cleaned and put new orings on before I bought em, but that seems to be the only thing I changed out last weekend that could be causing my problems. Unless the ECM or MAF is bad, but those worked before I tore into the car.

The fuel pressure holds after shutdown, so I doubt the injectors are leaking.

I know I can test the ohms across each injector to verify that the coil is ok, but is there a way to test flow? I was thinking that I could test flow, by moving the a/c outta the way enough to allow space to lift the fuel rail and place some little jars underneath each injector, then crank the car over.

The one thing that worries me is turning the car over without the intake runners on it. Will I even get a good test, or will having the intake removed somehow affect the engine during cranking? As long as nothing gets sucked into the intake base manifold, this test should work right?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:20 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open. (CentralCoaster)

TTT. How about if I run the car, and unplug different injectors one at a time? Anybody tried this?

Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open. (CentralCoaster)

If an injector is sticking open, the pressure wouldn't hold.

Unplugging them one at a time while it's running probably wouldn't tell you much, since l98's are batch fire. Each bank of injectors fire simultaneously when pulsed.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:18 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you suspect a dynamic problem with an injector put you finger on the back of each at idle and you should feel a diffence with a sticking injector.

It might be a good idea to send the set to Rich at Cruzin Performance (link on my site). He reconditions/tests a set for around $80 with 48hr shop time.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:12 AM
NHVett
Pro

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open. (65Z01)

How about pulling the injector fuse(s) and then attempting to start the car. If you get firing, then one or more of the injectors is leaking. My 85 has 2 injector fuses. located in the fuse panel at the right side of the dash. Quick and easy, worked for me.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Switch
Advanced

I have an ASNU Injector Cleaner and Flow Analyzer setup and will test and flow your set for $40 + shipping. I will provide test data and next day service.
I can also provide cleaning and parts if needed at an extra cost.

Call or email me for details.

Gordon Irwin 206-919-0794
Gordon@witchhunter.com
P.S. My Injector servicing web site will be up in 2 weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open.

Quick Reply: How to test injectors? I think I may have one sticking open.