C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are all '84's dogs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:31 PM
C4 Suke
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (Dominic Sorresso)

C4 Suke,

Maybe you'd be interested in owning mine someday then.
http://crossfire.vettextc.net/Car_pics/P1002061.jpg

That's a nice 84! I would love to own something like that, looks expensive though :p:
Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 PM
OzC4
3rd Gear

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs??

I don't understand why the '84 is talked about like it's an Edsel. The fact that it is considered "bad" is only testament to how much Chev developed the C4 through it's life. Read a few of the reviews from when the '84 was released and most rave how advanced and superior the C4 is (or was at the time). It is the same car now, apart from a bit of wear-and-tear, as it was when it was built. They have not suddenly become a "bad" car.

Mine is an absolutely stock - apart from being right-hand-drive - red '84. I love it. It's gorgeous to look at and it's great to drive. And, above all else, it's a Corvette. Is it my ultimate Corvette? No, probably not. That would be a '72 Big Block 4-speed convertible, closely followed by any ZR-1. (Don't read that as my rating of which is better, it's simply me wish-list for when I win lotto. And when I do win lotto, I'll probably have both but still keep my '84)

It corners like it's on rails and stops reasonably well. It's not the most powerful thing I've ever driven, hell, I think a new V6 family sedan Commodore puts out more than 205 hp! But I'm sure it's got a lot more poke than a standard '77-'81 C3. And after all, it's only a cast-iron push-rod 350. Not exactly high-tech. There are go-fast bit by the million out there.

Most of the "'84s are crap" stories come from those who have never owned one. They just heard they were crap from someone who heard it from someone else at the pub one night. From what I can tell, none of the precieved "problems" are related to build faults or design flaws. They are just compared to later and better stuff.

There are three areas in which the '84 is attacked.
1. the digital dash - I prefer gauges, they're easier to read, but I can live happily with these. The digital ones are supposed to be unreliable. Well mine are nearly 20 years old and still working perfectly well.

2. The ride is too hard - yeah, and? If you want a car that rides nice, go buy a Honda Accord. I like the hard ride, and I love the handling.

3. The CFI - at the time the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, the world has moved on, and this TBI system now looks antiquated and primative, but it's a hell of a lot better than a carby. Having said that, it is one of the few things on mine that are in line for a change. Although I haven't decided which way to go yet. A factory '86 TPI is more powerful, but still no ball-tearer. You could spend the extra money and buy an '86 (or later) and still end up spending a heap on getting more performance out of it. So why not start with the cheaper '84 - if it's in good enough nick - and spend a few buck making it go. You'll end up with a car that you'll hate putting away in the garage. It's winter here at the moment I pray for a clear sunny Sunday that I can take mine out.

Buy one 'coz you want one, not 'coz all the "experts" approve. Like I said, it's still a Corvette, surely the ultimate prize for a GM fan, regardless of the year.
:thumbs:

[Modified by OzC4, 3:02 AM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (OzC4)

3. The CFI - at the time the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, the world has moved on, and this TBI system now looks antiquated and primative, but it's a hell of a lot better than a carby.
I will take my carb over cfi anyday! :yesnod: :jester :p:
Old 08-21-2003, 01:47 AM
OzC4
3rd Gear

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

Why? I'll put money on the fact that you'll say that it flows better. Probably no doubt that it does. But I'll also bet that your carb is not a standard one. While the CFI is not the best set up around, and no-one here is saying it is, it still has some of the EFI benefits that no carby will ever have. Electronic control is the primary one. It will always suit the conditions of the moment. No carby can be set up to run perfectly for ALL conditions encountered by street driven engines. From cold starts to idling in city traffic to flat out runs past the redline. Set up a carby so it can handle an engine spinning at 7000rpm and it will be a pig to drive at 1000rpm. Some good late model aftermarket carbs come close, but EFI will always do it more accurately.

I will replace my CFI eventually. I don't know with what just yet. It's running quite happily at the moment. One that I'm most intrigued by at the moment is the modified single plane set ups. If the CFI craps itself big time and I can't afford to fix it there and then, I might consider a carby short term.

I ramble on.....

My point is, don't compare a mega-dollar aftermarket carb with a aging factory efi and say that carbs are better. Compare that aging efi with an aging factory carb, like, say, an '81 C3 to an '82 C3, and see how they fare.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (OzC4)

Why? I'll put money on the fact that you'll say that it flows better. Probably no doubt that it does. But I'll also bet that your carb is not a standard one. While the CFI is not the best set up around, and no-one here is saying it is, it still has some of the EFI benefits that no carby will ever have. Electronic control is the primary one. It will always suit the conditions of the moment. No carby can be set up to run perfectly for ALL conditions encountered by street driven engines. From cold starts to idling in city traffic to flat out runs past the redline. Set up a carby so it can handle an engine spinning at 7000rpm and it will be a pig to drive at 1000rpm. Some good late model aftermarket carbs come close, but EFI will always do it more accurately.

I will replace my CFI eventually. I don't know with what just yet. It's running quite happily at the moment. One that I'm most intrigued by at the moment is the modified single plane set ups. If the CFI craps itself big time and I can't afford to fix it there and then, I might consider a carby short term.

I ramble on.....

My point is, don't compare a mega-dollar aftermarket carb with a aging factory efi and say that carbs are better. Compare that aging efi with an aging factory carb, like, say, an '81 C3 to an '82 C3, and see how they fare.
:iagree: :thumbs:

There is absolutely no way you can make a carb do the tricks that even the lowly CFI system can do. Carbs are for people who are afraid of learning how to tune an EFI system. With an ECM you can turn a motor that gets 25-30mpg into a 12sec track car..
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 PM
drvette85
Instructor

The 1984 Corvette was years ahead of its time!!! One of the best if not THE best machines on the road!!! Still after all these years the best handler!!

84's and CFI got a bad rap and I don't know why because everyone I have talked to that has ever owned one has nothing but praise for them.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
pwrbtr
Cruising

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (BIG JIM 54)

Interesting thread. I recently bought an 84 Crossfire. I test drove several in the 76-85 range before buying this one. Performance? It fills my needs at the moment. 75K documented miles, all service and maint. records and a clean car fax for $5500.00 . Bought from the 2nd owner. A fair deal anyway you look at it, I think. As for the HP rating, my 79 Porsche 928 has the same HP rating but cannot keep up with the crossfire (not even close). Everyone asks "what is it?" when I'm driving the Porsche. When I'm in the the 84, it's always "Nice Vette!". It is undoubtably the most recognized and most wanted car in this solar system.
:cheers:
Anthony
Old 08-21-2003, 11:59 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (drvette85)

Here are a few reasons the '84 gets such a bum review. In 1984 this was the most radiacal, newest, Corvette since the 1953. Even the '53 didn't have "new" technology. So many items on the '84 were "first ever", not just to the Corvette, but the whole auto industry. With so much, so new, repairs were difficult. The car was ahead of the maintenence/repair curve. Things we dicuss as dyi projects, here on the Forum, were mind boggling to the uninformed repair industry of the time. Consequently, '84 Corvettes WERE difficult to repair, in 1984, and for a few years afterward. As it has been said above, today that technology is passe. None of this is helped by the fact that the two year old CFI was designed to be superceded. One look at the intake manifold (off the engine) tells you that GM wasn't even trying. The CFI wasn't exploited by the aftermarket because there were too few units produced to justify the expense of exhaustive research. No "air foils" for the CFI. The production volume of the TPI, allowed for that research, for them. However, it takes mega-bucks to make great strides with the TPI. The CFI has been made a dyi modifyable system, due to the lack of the performance industry involvement. Until one opens their wallet pretty wide, the CFI responds as well or better to "home tuning" than the TPI. For all the new technology the '84 introduced plus the normal first year "bugs", it's a wonder that they weren't all crushed. Don't bury the '84, praise it. Even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea, it allowed the further developement of the C4 and beyond.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (CFI-EFI)

:iagree: :thumbs: If anything, the 84 crossfire ushered in the new generation of Corvette that wasn't to be sneezed at by the likes of the Eurosnobs. :chevy
The clowns at Car and Driver were the ones that really "buried" the 84. Some of it was deserved from a development standpoint, but not from the perspective of capability.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

You Go Boy !

Ditto
Old 08-22-2003, 01:15 PM
LawVette
Intermediate

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (BIG JIM 54)

Everyone seems to like 84 even though it may not be fastest Vette on the block. It all depends on what you are looking for. However, even though I have never driven an 84, I just got my 1995 LT1 convertible, and I love it. But to be honest, I don't find the 1995 it to be particularly fast at all. Quick yes, fast? No. I'm am finding many higher-end stock 2003's autos, that if they don't kick my butt in a race, they certainly hold their own! (I got toasted the other day by some little Audi (not the TT).

Thus, if you like the car, get it and have a lot of fun driving it! However, if you are looking for a performance Vette that is going to beat all the latest technology stock 2003 and the all modified japanese street racers, don't pay more for a later model Vette expecting to get that! Don't get me wrong, I do love my 1995 LT1, but unless there is something wrong with it, I paid a lot more than $7,000.00 and I mine doesnt appear to be a real screamer by any means! (stock that is).
Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (LawVette)

You'd be surprised at how basic the mods need to be in order to bring a Xfire up to par with something like an LT-1. I think CFI can be witness to that more than I. But it doesn't take much to start walking on L98's.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee, I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned ugly yet :)

I swapped to carbs too, I sold my offenhauser crossram and I don't think I'll ever go back to TBI, if I go to injection I'll get some luminention or TWM throttle bodies w/ injector bosses.

Still, the 84 is a very nice car. I have owned an 84 Z51 and it handled like a dream. Too bad it got wrecked, if I can get another one (cheap) some day I'll take it and update it with some good looking wheels, some better brakes and a tricked out engine.

.. a Eurosnob ;) :P
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (Twin_Turbo)

Marck,

You and Jonas and Sahm excluded. I meant the vehicles not the people. Please forgive me. :cheers: :chevy
Old 08-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know :D
Old 08-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (Twin_Turbo)

Marck,

You sold the crossram? So what will you use on the motor now?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You'd be surprised at how basic the mods need to be in order to bring a Xfire up to par with something like an LT-1. I think CFI can be witness to that more than I. But it doesn't take much to start walking on L98's.
I have had a lot of fun and learned a lot, fooling with my Crossfire. *I* think I've been fairly successful, too, considering my minimal investment. It really has been a trouble free system. If I abandon the Crossfire set up, it will be for two reasons, only. The main reason would be the ability of the "system" to provide adaquate air, fuel is no problem. The second would be the added effeciency of port injection. I can't wait for direct injection to become available and affordable. No way, would I go back to a carb. Yes, you CAN bolt a four barrel and manifold on, and go faster, but not taking advantage of modern technology, learning about it and making it work FOR you, is like sticking your head in the sand. One man's opinion. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Are all '84's dogs??

Old 08-24-2003, 05:07 AM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (F5Nikon)

My Z51 '84 ran a 13.73@100mph last night..
It still has the crossfire setup and 20yo untouched bottom end....
I know it will never be the fastest Vette around, but thats fine by me..
I'll give it a freshen up shortly and with a few more tricks I know a 12 sec pass is achievable. Be different.
Ben.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (F5Nikon)

I also own a 84, picked it up for $3500.00, had it shipped from Vegas to Jersey. Invested little cash and much needed muscle, (cleaning).
I joined the forum and received a world of knowledge which helped me get my car in the condition it's in today. I also here the 84 has its problems, but then so do all cars and guess what, they're not VETTES! :lol:
Old 08-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Are all '84's dogs?? (ben73)

Ben,

Excellent numbers. What else have you done to the top end on the motor? Your car would have been a hell of a street car in the late 60's. A 14sec. car in those days was quick. We seem to forget that when we look at cars with A/C today running numbers that would have been respectable in track cars just a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Are all '84's dogs??