C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Windshield Wipers!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:14 PM
GRNVNM93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Windshield Wipers!! Help!!

I need new windshield wipers pretty soon!!! It's pouring out and my wipers don't do squat!! I want to head up to Wal-Mart but am scared of anything they say will fit my car. I know some there will fit the arms, but will they fit under the hood in the off position!? What brand and model number are you guys running!?!

I know i can get refils, but I'd just assume get new arms while i'm at it, as my old arms are faded.. and i've never been able to replace a refill on my own!!

[Modified by GRNVNM93, 2:15 PM 7/26/2003]
Old 07-26-2003, 06:44 PM
C1C2C4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (GRNVNM93)

As far as I know the only ones that fit are from the factory. Not sure when they updated them to stop them from hitting each other , but there are a couple of threads on the forum about it. Got mine from Jeff, now Chris. The part numbers are:

R arm 10288072
R Blade 22155368
L Arm 10288071
L Blade 22154985
All about $15.50 each

Hope this helps

C1C2C4
Old 07-26-2003, 06:53 PM
1989redvette
Burning Brakes

i'm using a trico summer blade but can't remember the number...they work great and fit under the cowl as well...got mine from advanced auto parts...15 buck for the pair :cheers:
Old 07-26-2003, 09:59 PM
SkunkCar
Instructor

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (C1C2C4)

As far as I know the only ones that fit are from the factory.
:iagree: Trust me on this one, I went thru this hassle last week. I decided to replace the blades, hunted around without much luck, then finally found something that fit at a local parts store. It fit, but it didn't work. Unfortunately, I didn't find out these refills were not going to work until I was out on an autocross track and it began to down pour. I turned on the wipers, and they promptly got tangled in one another. :mad Yes, I had tried them out at the auto parts store immediately after installation, but I guess I didn't work them enough to see them get tangled :)

Save yourself the hassle and go to the dealer and get the proper blade assemblies. They were $16 each, and now they work very well.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GRNVNM93,

I had the same hassles as SkunkCar, but I found out that the factory uses Anco blades. Go to a Chevron station and they sell Anco replacements that will be a perfect fit.

Gordon Killebrew suggests early C4 owners upgrade to the 96 wiper arms. They are an improved design to reduce/eliminate collisions and fit all earlier C4s. Order complete wiper arms from Chris at Superior.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Bodhi
Pro

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (Mike_88Z51)

Trico blades will fit perfectly...Bosch will not fit unless you grind off a section of them.

You can pickup the Trico blades at Pep Boys.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:19 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (Bodhi)

I replaced the wiper blade assembly with the Bosch blades. I hate ANCO blades. They are a pain to get the assembly off of the arm. I have used Trico, Tridon, Bosch all with great results. The best thing to do is get the blade assembly in whatever brand your local auto parts store sells. I prefer the thin blades, which is why I went with the Bosch blade assembly. I have a pair of 19" blades on mine. I have also received the wiper arms for the 96 C4's. They have a slightly different angle to them to reduce the arms getting tangled. My 93 gets tangled often. Haven't put them on yet, though. I got these from Arts' Corvette Parts (www.artscorvetteparts.com) They run $30 each. Heck of a lot better than the $70 each they want for the 84-95 arms.
:seeya
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the 96 arms from GM parts Direct

p/n 10288071 arm
10288072 arm

net bill including freight was 41.18 for the two arms

ordered on internet using http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

parts came out of a dealer in North Carolina

they have blades also:

#22154985 and #22155368 but you can get blades at any decent parts store
Old 07-29-2003, 09:05 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (Bodhi)

[QUOTE]Trico blades will fit perfectly...Bosch will not fit unless you grind off a section of them.[QUOTE] :iagree:
BTW use some Rain X on the glass :thumbs:
Old 07-29-2003, 11:53 PM
GRNVNM93
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (brdd)

Thank you to all who suggested the '95-96 wiper arms. I JUST purchased them from GMpartsdirec.com for $41!! Hope they arrive sometime soon!! Thanks again guys! :cheers:
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

posted this in general today-didnt check here :banghead:

man,anyone tried to buy replacement wipers lately?
didnt think much about this at first.
went to local parts houses and looked at the generics,hmm no-they dont look like mine do.
ah well,go to the dealer.
they have to order em in (ayeayeaye),wait a week and they come in.arg these are for a c5.
order again.
another week,they come in.
i pay my 34 dollars with a smile,take em back to work and go to put em on...ack these ones are taller and built different.(after wrestling them out of the glued nontransparent baggies that say "no return if opened).
call em up-oh no sir,same wipers cover 84-94 c4s - #12363800.
oook i put em on and try em.they dont park cuz theyre to fat to slip under the little guide under the hood.
so i check carfiche from work.i can see MANY different wiper options through the years but the #s arent readable on them fiche files.
i call the dealer."no,we only have the one # for c4 wipers".
so i call another dealer in a larger town. "thats the #" they say.
i said,well they arent the right ones.
"your old ones must be aftermarket".
im losing patience now.
"maybe i got an aftermarket hood too cuz the friggin things dont fit under this one!"
well i didnt say that but wanted too lol
anyone have any ideas how to get a good wiper blade # for a 92 coupe?
my old wipers are totaly rounded in the mid sections and arrowhead shaped at the tips.the refill retaining clip area is about an inch from the end (unlike all the ones ive found that are at the very end)
ayeayeaye.
also-which wiper parks last.left or right?
my right one is parked last now but i swear it was the left one on top before.

my dealers a dipstick.

so do the 96 blade/arm assemblies park theirselves completely in to the limit cradles and look right?
several guys say they use refills but ive yet to see a refill that has the keeper section one inch down the blade.they are all either captured at the ends or have the 2 nothces at one end. :banghead:
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Get original equip replacement blades from GM. THere are humdreds of threads on the Forum of parts store replacements getting tangled while driving in the rain. One such thread is from me.

Cya! :seeya
Old 07-30-2003, 09:40 AM
88-L98-Z52
Pro

Default Re: Windshield Wipers!! Help!! (Mike_88Z51)

Because of the 'colliding arms' sympton, I too looked into what could be done to resolve the problem and found that GM had redesigned the wiper arms to correct this. But... I was under the impression that only the RIGHT wiper arm was changed (an angle added at the end of the arm) and that it was not necessary to upgrade the left arm to resolve the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Wipers!! Help!!

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers!! Help!!