C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Surging engine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 02:15 PM
nottheliving
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging engine...

i have a 92 c4 and just recently it has been having some strange problems. i was driving it today and i noticed that when i stepped on the throttle it didnt have as much power as it usually does. about twenty minutes later when i just had the throttle down at a constant position (going about 45) it started to lurch forward in Rpms even though i wasn't changing the pressure that i was applying to the gas. the tachometer was bouncing all around even though i was applying a steady amount of throttle pressure. the car was also pinging when going up hill. when i finally got it home, i put the car in park and noticed that when it was just sitting in the idol positiion, the engine would begin to rev up slightly all on its own, without me even touching the throttle. my guess is that it must be some kind of bad sensor that is giving the ecu inproper data.....but i might be wrong......i would appreciate if i could get some input on your idea's about my problem, thank you
Old 07-20-2003, 03:15 PM
montie98
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Surging engine... (nottheliving)

I was going to say look at your Throttle body because I had the same problem on my 85. But since you heard pinging I would check the whole fuel system pump,filter or maybe even bad gas? Are you getting any codes?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:30 PM
nottheliving
Advanced

Default Re: Surging engine... (montie98)

im not exactly sure what you mean by codes, but recently where it usually displays my cars range on the current tank of fuel, it has been blinking on and off with the word "SYS" i have no idea what this means. do you? i think that im going to check my fuel filter first. is that hard to get to?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:41 PM
montie98
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is an 85 so I cant tell you what SYS means but that will point you in the right direction. Im sure someone on this site knows off hand. Sorry I cant be more help
Old 07-20-2003, 07:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Re: Surging engine... (montie98)

"SYS" is related to the error codes.

It means the computer that runs your car has detected an error, and has stored the error.

The computer connector located under the dash, but the driver's knee, is used to tap into these codes.

The computer is trying to tell you what is wrong with the car.

You need to get a shop manual that will tell you how to read the codes, or take it to a mechanic that can hook it up and tell you.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
sumoboy
Racer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=607317
I just went through the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Surging engine...

Quick Reply: Surging engine...