C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radiator Fin Comb

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Frank Zeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fin Comb

OK, I have a lot of bent fins, especially right behind the fan. Bought this "comb" at Speedway Auto parts. It comes with no instructions and the clerk looks like a deer in the headlights. May be dumb **** simple, but someone please explain the technique. Thank you for any help.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:33 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Default Re: Radiator Fin Comb (Frank Zeman)

Frank ~ the general concept is that you insert the teeth into an area where the fins are not bent, then manually pull the comb through the jins. As you pull the comb, the bent fins will bend to their upright position ~

And now ...... as Paul Harvey might say "For the rest of the story". These things have a limited functionality. They were originally designed for use in the HVAC business to straighten a few bent fins (not the massive amounts generally found on a car radiator). Also, the HVAC condensor and evaporater fins are generally a lot lighter weight and don't require near the effort to pull the comb through.

For my $0.02 worth ~ I say they are a PIA when used on a car radiator. I know it is easy for me to spend your money ~ but if I felt my fins were bent excessively where they required massive straightening, I would opt for a new radiator. Don't forget, after you straighten the fins you will have a bizillion tiny rocks and stuff imbedded between the fins which also restrict airflow.... :eek:

~ Purp :cheers:
Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Frank Zeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Fin Comb (Frank Zeman)

That all makes sense to me. Thank you very much. I knew it would be relatively simple, but it was escaping me. Old age, no doubt. I was hesitating doing a new radiator. Did the cleanout between coil thing and it took two half days. Main problem then was I had to hacksaw the hold down studs for the air cleaner housing as someone had gooped up the **** and they were locked on. THanks again!!

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Fin Comb

Quick Reply: Radiator Fin Comb