C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:56 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone?

Has anyone done this? Is there a kit available with all the parts? The compressor went out on my '91 recently and I was thinking it makes sense to do the conversion at the same time. Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (DarkHalo)

I had my system converted last fall. I needed a new compressor and a few new lines anyway so I had my mechanic do the conversion. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Yeah I had mine done and the good thing about it was I didn't have to pay for anything :D
Old 07-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Topless87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drier needs to be replaced too(about $90). And, don't panic when the R134 starts blowing warm in a couple years. According to the shop here, I had no leaks, just over time the system is more sensative to small drops in pressure. Recharged and no problems!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:43 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (jcygan)

Which part is the drier? Is it the thermos looking thing?

Lets say I have a brand new condensor, new drier, new orifice tube, but the old lines and compressor. Is dropping the $35 autozone retrofit kit in a waste of time instead of dumping $250 on a R12 recharge? :)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (scorp508)

Here's where having your son go to tech school comes in handy. We were talking about the change over to 134 and there are two ways to do it, one the cheap way (short term results) and the right way (best and long term results.

Firsty of all, if it's working, don't mess with it. Believe it or not, when people check their systems, the schrader (sp) valves are more likely to leak after they are disturbed.

The best way to change over is to replace as many of the components as you can. Be sure to evacuate the system completely. There was a debate going on about the hoses in R-12 systems being too porous for the R-134, but I'm not sure where that stands right now.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:17 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Hmm... my brother goes to a tech school. I should see if he has an AC class coming up and they can use my car as a patient. :D

Reason I ask is that my AC system is 100% empty of R12 right now. I had a rock go through my condensor. I replaced the condensor and the drier (if its the thermos looking thing). Its a pain to get an R12 charge appointment I can get to right now and if the $35 R134a kit could get me by for a couple of months and then switch back to the R12 fittings I'd do it.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:27 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

I know some of the forum AC professionals will offer their suggestion/opinions. Im not one, but here is my experience.

It's doable and relatively affordable. Did mine last year with the help of 85WhiteZ51. FWIW, it's still working after 12 months and a winter of no-use. Here is the list of all I replaced.

Compressor - $100 AZ Factory Air rebuild (Mine was dead anyways)
Orifice tube - $5 Jeff Kopp
Accumulator/Dryer - $50 Jeff Kopp
ALL Sharder valves - $10 AZ
PAG oil - $10
AC pressure switches $40 (just to make sure they weren't defective)
Bad blower motor ground and replaced bad heater control module - $250 (Austin Corvettes)

There was little to no R12 left in the system so that wasnt an issue. Primed the compressor with PAG as instructed. Filled the Dryer/Accumulator with PAG as instructed. Closed up the system and had a mechanic pull a vacuum and fill the R134a for $80.

Only thing else I wish I had replaced was my condensor. My stock condensor is sorta chewed up from road debris so it doesnt cool real well and when sitting with the AC on in 100* traffic the temp climbs to 228*F (not really an issue).

Works great. I no longer sweat while Im driving in 100* heat. I was quoted $1000-$1500 for the conversion from a local shop, I passed and did most of it myself for far less.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

[QUOTE]Hmm... my brother goes to a tech school. I should see if he has an AC class coming up and they can use my car as a patient. :D
[QUOTE]

My son has used his car as a patient and they did great work. I'm getting ready to display my Vette there to show how an electric water pump helps. Lots of bennies available. Next semester, my son has differentials and transmissions. I'm going to see if I can have 410s put in mine. The teachers are super. That's the key. And they have all the tools!

I knew there was a hazard going 140 plus........................the condensor. :yesnod:
Old 07-07-2003, 07:51 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull a good vacuum, like -30 microns! seal the system and let it set overnight and make sure it holds, then charge it.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:37 PM
DiabolicalDave
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I just had this done earlier this year. Basically, I had a leak in my system and to replace the R12 would have almost paid for the kit, and then if it ever leaked again I'd be worse off. Once you're looking at having to refill the R12 system, just do the conversion. The savings on the refrigerant alone justifies the change.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:43 PM
94vettin
Heel & Toe

I had the conversion done on my 87, I had an AC shop do it becasue I did not have the 134 gauges and was concerned about charging it. I had a blown compressor and of course the r12 freon price justifies the conversion. Not sure what year your vette is but when I initially talked to the ac mech, he said that the early c4's didn't really have the greatest fan and that I probably wouldn't be impressed with the cold air. I did a little research on the web and found a performance orifice tube, sorry, I don't remember the name, but if you find it you will know. I replaced compressor,condensor, and orifice tube. I had the system flushed which is important in order to get the all the r12 oil out. One thing to keep in mind is that your car will take less R134 than r12. If my memory serves me right, it took 1.6 lbs of r134 verses 2.2 of r12. Well anyway, the system worked great, ac mech was impressed, I had low 30's blowing out of this thing in the hot Texas summer. If you must do it yourself, go to an AC shop and get the seals and valves, I was advised not to use the Autozone kit. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep it. Good luck. RD
Old 07-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Had it done to my truck last year, cost me $350 for a used compressor(needed to be replaced anyway) and whatever else is needed and labor was included in that price.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (94vettin)

Thanks for all the fantastic advice guys. I appreciate it. I think Ill prolly replace the hardware myself then take it to an AC place that does our company cars and always gives us a break on our personal cars and have them flush it good then fill w/R134. I saw a place that sells the performance orifice tubes earlier today too. Mines a '91 and youre right that Im not impressed with the volume of air it puts out. Frankly my '95 S-10 puts it to shame as far as that goes. Maybe this wont be as expensive as I was expecting.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:22 AM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I simply evacuated the system, added some new oil and charged with R134a. It has worked fine for 3 years. The cooling is excellent. In theory, there is a problem with the hoses being porous to R134a but an article published by the EPA indicates this is less of a problem than expected since the oil reduces the porosity. My compressor does whine a bit but I doubt that this is due to the conversion. If your system has been opened up for a while, then you may have to replace the accumulator since there may be moisture in the system. I got a new accumulator on the web for less than $35 but I have not needed it.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:08 AM
jtfrog
Racer

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (white90conv)

Did mine for 350.00. Doesnt get as cold at idle on 100 degree days. But weel worth the money. What is this performance orfice tube and what is the advantage?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:16 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (jtfrog)

Since all of my A/C components were working well, I just did a $35 AutoZone conversion. That was 2 years ago and it still blows as cold as the day I converted it. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone?

Old 07-08-2003, 11:27 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (dtorc4)

Since all of my A/C components were working well, I just did a $35 AutoZone conversion. That was 2 years ago and it still blows as cold as the day I converted it. :cheers:
I'm liking the sound of that. I might go find someone who can pull it to a vacuum for me.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (Scoob)

I had my system converted last fall. I needed a new compressor and a few new lines anyway so I had my mechanic do the conversion. Worked like a charm.
I had mine converted over two summer's ago. There is a kit, but I don't have the name or number handy. It contained a new dryer, high and low pressure fittings and O-rings. I kept the stock expansion valve, compressor and other essential components. Mine blow's ice cold with R134a now!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:27 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone? (scorp508)

With your access to tools, you can't find a vacuum pump & a manifold gauge set? If you have a compressor (you need about 5hp or better), you can buy a cheapo vacuum pump through Harbor Freight tools for about 9 bucks. Hook up the inlet side to the compressor (make sure there's a decent water filter on the compressor line) and the outlet to the charge hose on the Manifold Gauge Set. Attach both the low side and high side hoses from the Gauge set to their appropriate fittings (most sets will need an adaptor for the GM high side fitting. Turn on the compressor, open both high & low side valves & run it for about an hour. The manifold gauge set will immediately show vacuum for whatever altitude you're at, but let it run. After you shut it off (close the Gauge valves first), vacuum may drop a few inches while whatever moisture is left boils off. Run it again until it holds. Then refill it with about 80% of the R12 charge (if switching to R134) and the right amount of oil (most Vettes are 8 ozs - and this will be somewhat of a guess because if all you replace is the Drier, an ounce or two could still be in the compressor of other parts - err on the side of too much - it ain't gonna hurt it). Before doing all this, replace any of the parts that are broken or leaking. At a minimum, replace the orifice and Drier with at least half the oil charge going into the Drier.

Quick Reply: R12 to R134 air conditioning conversion anyone?