C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 05:46 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool?

Out of the 7 vehicles at my house the vette is the only one that uses green antifreeze still. Its a PIA to keep a 50% cut mixture of that hanging around amonst all the oragne dexcool. Any reason why I CAN'T change over to that if I get the cooling system flushed 100%?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:48 PM
NightRyder
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (scorp508)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont know!??!?!!?! i thought you knew everything! :smash:
:lol: :cheers: :thumbs: :leaving:
Old 06-30-2003, 06:11 PM
1989redvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which reason would you like??? as far as dexcool it's a joke... it may run a bit cooler but thats about it... alot of gm techs highley discourage changing over to it from green antifreeze....first if you do not have all of the old out and i mean everydrop of it out it will react with each other and cause an acidic mixture...not good for aluminum or rubber seals... if you think you can 100% flush a cooling system you are fooling yourself...to many little hiiding spots...bottom of block passages heater ocre ...ect.... i would steer clear of it if i was you :yesnod:
Old 06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Main reason for me is I pull the radiator every year, so I'd just end up dumping all that expensive orange stuff down the drain.

I guess you could capture it, strain it, and reuse it. Seems easier to keep a gallon of the green and mix it when you need it. JMHO.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey scorp, The GM answer is simple, if it came with Dexcool use it, if it didn't come with it don't change over to it. Some 96s came with it from the factory, besides it cost more and doesn't do well with the seal inside the OEM water pump (LT-1/4). We had a good discussion a week or so back. Bottom line, to my fellow Vette owner who has given me a lot of good advice, stay with the green stuff and distilled water. :yesnod: :chevy
Old 06-30-2003, 07:18 PM
GusBustamanteJr
Drifting

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (Strick)

You are bringing back ghosts for me Scorp....

I put in the Dex when I did the Top-end and SR in Dec. I too thought it would be better.

I started reading posts about what happens when it reacts with the green stuff, which can never really be flushed out completely, it is soaked and absorbed into seals and gaskets too. I also noticed a little fluid on the garage floor. I QUICKLY changed it back. I hope it was not to late, and that I wont have problems.

I think the only way to safely do it is if the engine is out and been machined like yours, and ALL new fresh gaskets and seals are put in.

But I dont think there is an advantage for the efort, risk, price, and peace of mind. In this case, I stick with I know works.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:40 PM
black bart
Drifting

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (GusBustamanteJr)

http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_dexcool.html
Old 06-30-2003, 08:23 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (1989redvette)

1989redvette:

it may run a bit cooler but thats about it
DexCool is 90% the same stuff as Green AF, it has no greater or lesser ability to remove heat from your engine.

alot of gm techs highley discourage changing over to it from green antifreeze
This is true, in fact GM has a TSB which does not recommend using DexCool in pre 95 engines (or was that 94?).

first if you do not have all of the old out and i mean everydrop of it out it will react with each other and cause an acidic mixture
I don't believe this to be true, and believe this falls into the Urban legend catagory. I e-mailed Texaco about this quite a while back and their engineer said the two could be mixed, hower the long life attributes of DexCool would be lost.

Scorp:

GM has made quite a few changes in their evolution to the use of DexCool in their fleet. Gasket changes, flow changes, venting, overflow location, pressurised containers, and many I don't know about.

Sometimes, it messes up. Most times it does not. When it does mess up, it can be really ugly.

I speculate that you have to be really careful with pressure, temperature, flow, and air in the system.

The green works pretty well, and we pretty much know what to expect from it in the pre-96 engines. I keep a couple jugs of the Green Texaco pre-mixed (with deionized H2O) around even though my C5 and my Truck use DexCool.

Pete
Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 PM
4DRSS
Instructor

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (NightRyder)

I wouldn't run DexCrap in any vehicle I owned, stick to the green stuff. :thumbs:
Old 06-30-2003, 08:42 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (NightRyder)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont know!??!?!!?! i thought you knew everything! :smash:
:lol: :cheers: :thumbs: :leaving:
:cheers: I too thought you knew evrything! There have been many posts on Dexcool. Check them out. You csn enter the search function on the Forum to help you! But you know that!

Or are you just "puttting us on"?

Increase post count by 1 everytime you post :D

:seeya

:steering:
Old 06-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (jackdaroofer)

I see it every day at work. I run the green stuff in mine.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reason why I CAN'T change over to that if I get the cooling system flushed 100%?
Make sure you get it flushed all the way.......thats what killed my last motor..... :banghead: :banghead:
Old 06-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Ericthewolf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (Wheelman)

GM doesn't reccomend it in a vehicle not made for it.. Just a suggestion.. I switched mine the other direction.. I can come up with about 10 reasons not to. But I don't have all nite.. LOL
Old 06-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (Wheelman)

Brian, i'll explain it to you tomorrow on AIM, but DON'T. JUST DON'T. :nono:

People who switch either way CAN AND WILL run into HUGE problems down the road. :nonod:

[Modified by Mervz, 9:59 PM 6/30/2003]
Old 07-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Strick
Race Director

Hey scorp,
We have so much info that should send up a warning flag to all of us C-4 guys about Dexcool use. Is there a way to post a warning for a while that stays on the top of the listings for a period of time?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

I use it, I've switched vehicles over to it, no problems with over 200K miles of Dexcool fun. I think it's getting time to add this thread to urban legends.

Eric
Old 07-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Strick
Race Director

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (silver & red CE)

I use it, I've switched vehicles over to it, no problems with over 200K miles of Dexcool fun. I think it's getting time to add this thread to urban legends.

Eric
That's great to have over 200K on your Vette. You're getting your money's worth. :cheers: One thing I've learned about Vettes; you can Never use the words Always or Never when talking about Vettes or people.

Get notified of new replies

To Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (Strick)

I put the orange stuff in my new engine....after running the green stuff....should I flush it and switch back? :confused:
Old 07-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (ski_dwn_it)

Guys, here's what i told Scorp.

Dexcool and regular Antifreeze are not made alike. Dexcool is a less toxic coolent, but does have some side effects.

1. GM claims for it to last longer, and it does, but only in certain situations.
- Dexcool that is exposed to any type of air will start to gunk up. This means, if your cooling system isn't 100% free of air at all times, eventually it will start to develop "chunks". My 99 S-10's heater core got clogged becuase i didn't keep my system burped. I had to have it professionally flushed.

2. Dexcool and the "Green stuff" DO NOT MIX. You think Dexcool is "bad" on its own, try adding some of the green stuff to it. You'll get a nice gel. Yes, like jello. :eek:

3. Neither green or dexcool can totally be removed from the block. We all know the block is semi porus and no amount of chemical flush would remove it. Eventually, this would seep back out into the cooling system, no matter how small the amount, and would mix with the other type of coolent, causing, yes, you guessed it a gel. A small amount no less, but still that introduces the possibility of something clogging, and will reduce the life of the coolent.

The only real HUGE advantage Dexcool has over green is its less toxic makeup. Otherwise, both used in an identical enviroment, Dexcool *should* last longer. Although, i would never to over 50,000 miles on either.

I hope this clears this up for people. :)
Old 07-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool? (silver & red CE)

Eric
If you start with Dexcool, you should have no troubles at all. Its only the people who switch who see the big problems. My 95 uses it, and i have no complaints. :)

Quick Reply: Any reason why NOT to switch to Dexcool?