C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What now? Hissing noise. (Brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:08 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default What now? Hissing noise. (Brakes)

Was driving along earlier today and the brake pedal got hard and the brakes got to the point I really had to push to get the car stopped. :mad :mad The brakes still work, but I believe my vacuum booster has bit the dust. Now, everytime I step on the brakes I get this hissing sound coming from under the dash and the pedal is as hard as a rock. I have to press as hard as I can just to stop the car.

First: To anyone else that's had this problem, does this sound like the vacuum booster?

Second: I've already priced the part, for those of you that have replaced it yourself, how difficult was it and can you give me some tips as to how to do it?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:16 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (R94 LT 1)

Do you check the vacuum hose that goes to the booster? That was my problem, the hose was old and wasn't making a tight seal, so I just put a hose clamp on it and no more problem. Quick and easy to check before you fork out the dough for a new booster. :thumbs:
Old 06-27-2003, 03:24 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (VetBoy89)

Do you check the vacuum hose that goes to the booster? That was my problem, the hose was old and wasn't making a tight seal, so I just put a hose clamp on it and no more problem. Quick and easy to check before you fork out the dough for a new booster. :thumbs:
I did take a look at the hose, no noticable leak. I didn't think it would be hissing under the dash like it is if it was just a hose though. Did yours do that? The noise is definately coming from under the dash when I step on the brake. I also might add, it's only when the car is running. If I have my foot on the brake and shut the car off, the noise stops.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:38 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the diaphram in the booster has failed. I haven't changed one but I would think about maybe pulling the seat just so you can see your way around underneather there.

[Modified by ittlfly, 12:38 PM 6/27/2003]
Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (ittlfly)

If I have to get in there the seat will HAVE to come out! 6'3", I take the seat out for any work under the dash! :D Rest my feet over the ledge in the back.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:02 PM
buzzbomb
Instructor

Sounds like the booster, use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a long extension and a wobbly 13mm, or maybe it was a 12, to get to the nuts inside. To put them back on the reinstall, wedge a piece of paper or some tape around the nut, and it will stay in the socket, till you get it started. Not to bad, but I was upside down for a while. :cheers:
Old 06-27-2003, 04:16 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (buzzbomb)

Sounds like the booster, use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a long extension and a wobbly 13mm, or maybe it was a 12, to get to the nuts inside. To put them back on the reinstall, wedge a piece of paper or some tape around the nut, and it will stay in the socket, till you get it started. Not to bad, but I was upside down for a while. :cheers:
Thanks for the info.

Everyone feel free to add. The more info the better. :yesnod:
Old 06-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

It's the brake booster... happened to me 3 months ago..identical symptoms...good luck
Old 06-27-2003, 11:20 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (Fuzzy Dice)

Try sitting on the ground outside the car. That's the way I did mine. Wasn't upside down, or laying on my back. I just sat on the ground and leaned in.

Anyway, it's not hard. Took me about 2.5hrs total and I had to adjust the pushrod length several times to get the correct pedal height and feel. Good luck :cheers:
Old 07-09-2003, 11:08 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What now? Hissing noise. (JCAIRE2)

Update. Including cleaning up the area real well (as I've tried to detail everything else underhood) the new booster was in in about 3 hours or so. All is well. :yesnod: Thanks to everyone for the tips and info. :cheers:
Old 07-10-2003, 09:22 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To What now? Hissing noise. (Brakes)

Quick Reply: What now? Hissing noise. (Brakes)