C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Battery light flicker...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:12 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light flicker...

Hey gang,

Lately my battery light has started to flicker. It does it once in a while while I'm driving with just the radio on but it will always do it if I turn on the air and the headlights at the same time. It just flickers, it doesn't stay on steady.

My gauge is reading between 13.7-14.1 while cruising and 12.9-13.1 while at idle.

Any ideas? Battery? Alternator? Ground? :smash:

TIA
Old 06-23-2003, 02:26 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Battery light flicker... (VetBoy89)

Remove battery cables (neg first) clean cable lugs and battery terminals, replace cables (neg last). Unplug connector on alternator and plug back in to clean contacts. Observe voltmeter and battery symbol light while driving.

[Modified by jfb, 1:27 PM 6/23/2003]

[Modified by jfb, 1:28 PM 6/23/2003]
Old 06-23-2003, 11:28 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 173 Posts

1. How old is the battery and alternator?
2. The voltage at idle is quite low. With a proper functioning electrical system: fully charged battery, alt. output to spec, etc... your voltage should be similar at idle or cruise:13.8 - 14.4.
3. My guess is that both batt and alt may be faulty.
4. Both components can be tested before replacement.
5. Don't wait for the batt and alt to fail before replacing them.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 AM
GS919
Pro

Default Re: Battery light flicker... (Oldman)

:iagree:
Voltage does seem low. Check connections, clean battery terminals and have both the battery and the alternator tested. Good Luck.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:16 PM
konroh
Racer

i have the same problem, in my case, i have a bad wire in the harness under the dash that will sometimes turn off the charging circuit, and i will see 11.x volts while running, pulling on the harness or taking a hard turn the light will go out and volts up to 14.x...

sometimes just the light flickers and the volts stay high...anyone know which wire i need to replace and how hard it will be? it hasn't acted up in a while but it makes me leery of taking the car on a long trip...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Battery light flicker... (konroh)

konroh, on my 87 there is a blue wire from the cooling fan 3 amp fuse that powers the voltage regulator in the alternator. This wire goes from the fuse clip through the firewall connector to a junction in the wiring harness below the brake master cylinder. Check the fuse clips for cleanliness and the quality of the connector that plugs into the alternator. If you can move wires under the dash and affect the alternator output, I would suspect the wire from the fuse clip to the firewall connector and you need to inspect the whole length of this wire.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery light flicker...

Quick Reply: Battery light flicker...