C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:57 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions.

Well, the kit is finally done. I took it for a test drive and I can say that I'm very pleased with the results. The shifts are firm, but not obnoxious. The tires do not "bark" going into second, but this may be due to the drag radials. Highway driving is improved in OD - if I stab it, she gets up and goes! :D

The instructions for the Vigilante highly recommend a shift kit - now I know why. The shifts before the kit were very soft and the car didn't feel like it had a lot of "snap" to it - that is changed now. The car goes immediately into gear without hesitation. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the car feels quicker than it was. They didn't lie when they said that this kit will make your transmission "come alive". :)

Some notes about the kit and install
====================================
* The roll pin extractor is useless (or at least it was on my valve body). I ended up using a needle nose pliers.

* Adjusting the TV for the most or "maximum" TV took several tries. I followed the service manual instructions to the 'T' every time and in the end, the TV plunger was almost bottomed out in the bore. It simply would not seat any further. At most, it's sticking out of the end by 1/16th of an inch at WOT.

* You must remove the passenger side cat (read cat-back exhaust as well) to get access to the 2-4 band adjustment components.

* The video says to add 6 quarts of fluid after the install and 2 more immediately after starting the engine. I added a new TCI trans pan with an extra 2 quart capacity so I added 8 quarts before startup. I had the two extra standing by, but I didn't need them as I ended up putting too much fluid in. I have to recheck the level after the trans is nice and warm to see how much fluid I may have to take out (if any).

* The video is great, but they use an older style 700R4. There are subtle differences in the components and valve body. Some of these are:
- The TV roll pin in the valve body is not in a "trench passage" as it is in the video. It's in a small circular hole. This makes it challenging when removing with pliers.
- The valve body wiring is different.
- There was an extra electrical connector on the valve body that had to come off.
- There was an electrical connector that had to be unscrewed and removed when changing valves (after drilling the hole into the "bathtub").
- Also in reference to the valve above, when comparing the stock spring to the red spring, they say to install the taller of the two. Mine were exactly the same height. There were no instructions in this instance - I reinstalled the stock spring.
- The component removal process is not the same as in the video. I had to remove the main valve body before the aux valve body due to clearance issues (aux valve body bolt blocked by main valve body).

Problems/Issues during install
==============================
- It's just a damn messy job (trans fluid everywhere).
- Stuck roll pin.
- Pressure regulator assembly got stuck in the bore above the snap ring (less than 1/16" of an inch). It ended up seating due to trans pressure. Based on my conversation with a trans shop, this assembly can come down with so much force as to break the snap ring and push the parts into the pan (immediate line pressure loss). Luckily, this didn't happen.
- I had a check ball left over and this was not covered in the video.

Now to see if it made a difference at the track...
Old 06-19-2003, 03:36 PM
needanother1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (cprgmr)

Thank you for the information. I'm going to be trying the same thing soon, as I installed a looser converter and now don't like the shift feel (or lack thereof). Where did you purchase the TransGo kit? I'm shopping right now.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (needanother1)

I'm glad I had a shift kit (B&M) put in my tranny when it needed a rebuild. Made a nice difference like you said! :thumbs:
Old 06-19-2003, 06:57 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the information. I'm going to be trying the same thing soon, as I installed a looser converter and now don't like the shift feel (or lack thereof). Where did you purchase the TransGo kit? I'm shopping right now.

Thanks,
Jason
You're welcome! :cheers: I know what you mean about the lack of feeling in the shifts with a higher stall converter. I had no idea what I gave up until I installed this kit! :) If my memory serves me correctly, I picked up the kit from Summit.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

:thumbs: Had a Gil Younger kit put in mine when I had it rebuilt.....very sweet. :iagree:
Old 06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (Southern Comfort)

Did you install the 3-4 spring? Some people here have had problems with it
Old 06-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (Southern Comfort)

really don't know about the springs...just works good. :hurray:
Old 06-19-2003, 09:44 PM
grapeknutz
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Well, the kit is finally done. I took it for a test drive and I can say that I'm very pleased with the results. The shifts are firm, but not obnoxious. The tires do not "bark" going into second, but this may be due to the drag radials. Highway driving is improved in OD - if I stab it, she gets up and goes! :D

The instructions for the Vigilante highly recommend a shift kit - now I know why. The shifts before the kit were very soft and the car didn't feel like it had a lot of "snap" to it - that is changed now. The car goes immediately into gear without hesitation. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the car feels quicker than it was. They didn't lie when they said that this kit will make your transmission "come alive". :)

Some notes about the kit and install
====================================
* The roll pin extractor is useless (or at least it was on my valve body). I ended up using a needle nose pliers.

* Adjusting the TV for the most or "maximum" TV took several tries. I followed the service manual instructions to the 'T' every time and in the end, the TV plunger was almost bottomed out in the bore. It simply would not seat any further. At most, it's sticking out of the end by 1/16th of an inch at WOT.

* You must remove the passenger side cat (read cat-back exhaust as well) to get access to the 2-4 band adjustment components.

* The video says to add 6 quarts of fluid after the install and 2 more immediately after starting the engine. I added a new TCI trans pan with an extra 2 quart capacity so I added 8 quarts before startup. I had the two extra standing by, but I didn't need them as I ended up putting too much fluid in. I have to recheck the level after the trans is nice and warm to see how much fluid I may have to take out (if any).

* The video is great, but they use an older style 700R4. There are subtle differences in the components and valve body. Some of these are:
- The TV roll pin in the valve body is not in a "trench passage" as it is in the video. It's in a small circular hole. This makes it challenging when removing with pliers.
- The valve body wiring is different.
- There was an extra electrical connector on the valve body that had to come off.
- There was an electrical connector that had to be unscrewed and removed when changing valves (after drilling the hole into the "bathtub").
- Also in reference to the valve above, when comparing the stock spring to the red spring, they say to install the taller of the two. Mine were exactly the same height. There were no instructions in this instance - I reinstalled the stock spring.
- The component removal process is not the same as in the video. I had to remove the main valve body before the aux valve body due to clearance issues (aux valve body bolt blocked by main valve body).

Problems/Issues during install
==============================
- It's just a damn messy job (trans fluid everywhere).
- Stuck roll pin.
- Pressure regulator assembly got stuck in the bore above the snap ring (less than 1/16" of an inch). It ended up seating due to trans pressure. Based on my conversation with a trans shop, this assembly can come down with so much force as to break the snap ring and push the parts into the pan (immediate line pressure loss). Luckily, this didn't happen.
- I had a check ball left over and this was not covered in the video.

Now to see if it made a difference at the track...

How many miles are on the trans ?
Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (HiRiser)

Did you install the 3-4 spring? Some people here have had problems with it
If you're talking about the 3-4 shift valve (with the orange spring), I have the second type valve body and didn't need to do anything with it.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (grapeknutz)

How many miles are on the trans ?
49k on the trans - I hope she holds up! :D
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Update : It appears that 8 quarts with the TCI pan is just right - whew! :hurray:
Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

I instaled a b&m shift improver kit in my 91 a cople of months ago comes with two settings heavy duty and street and strip went for heavy duty setting WOW perfect not to harsh just nice firm shift no more warndering what gear it is in or how many should have done this years ago
Old 06-19-2003, 10:08 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions. (Phil stock 91)

should have done this years ago
:iagree:
Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

what makes you wonder with all this stuff is why GM didnt do it years ago? :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions.

Quick Reply: TransGo Shift Kit install - first impressions.