C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Early C4 cooling system/heating up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early C4 cooling system/heating up

ok, i've been dealing with the fact that my vette runs 188-210 in the city with the AC off. I have a 160 thermostat, and manual fan switch overide. still runs that hot.... well everyone on here a while ago told me it's normal...bla bla bla. Yes i took the radiator OUT, flushed, cleaned, everything...even the trash inbetween the condensor and radiator. still 200F. Well, i did a little bit of research on the C4 radiators.... come to find out... they're pretty advanced for being such a little flimsy pos. the Fin technology had something to do with NASCAR...(is that a good thing...lol...j/p) and is highly effective. my vette has 76K on it.... well... cruising down the Interstate... 180...170 at night... cool. well, i thik i've come up with the reason why all this is happening. the AC condensor is kinda F'd up....the fins.... so i'm thinking that the A/C condensor has seen better days... and the Radiator is pretty clean 80% visible through light. I think instead of doing a Mullet special THICK alm radiator... i'm going to first do the A/C condensor....then the stock radiator. and add a 10" or 12" fan on the front as a pusher. so.... to you guys out there....that are running 220 in the city...w/a 160 thermo and fans on.. take a good look at the A/C condensor... hey I over looked it until now. $159.99 is the best price so far....for a new Condensor.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:17 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (Fast_vette89)

New radiator & cap (and a new heater core along the way), 195 degree stat, freshened the a/c with a new compressor, condenser, hoses and what have you, fixed a leaking head gasket with new heads, and low & behold, I'm back to running 205 to 212 in stop & go and 195 at cruise. Just like it was when it was new!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (SunCr)

well your running a 195 stat. go to a 160. and put a manual rocker switch on your fan.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (SunCr)

I think i'm going to start with a pusher fan. get one from Autozone.... 10" or 12"... any idea? maybe that would be a better place to start?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have any problems with my stock 85...have the Hypertech Thermomaster chip which turns on the primary fan at 185, at 160 stat, a 180 degree secondary fan switch and a clean radiator. Runs 165-175 most of the time and 185-195 in the summer with the A/C on.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (eguyett1985)

Have you tried water wetter by red line.. Very nice stuff. It goes to where the metal get most hot and absorbs into the metal..Brought my cooling temp down. Mine now goes a 1/2-3/4 inch from start of the dial..

Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Blue88
Instructor

Mine was running at about 170-175 on the highway and would creep up to 215-220 in heavy traffic with the AC on (180 thermostat). Most of the time crusing in town the temp only reached 195. Last weekend I pulled and cleaned both the AC condenser and the radiator and straightened out the fins on both. There was also a ton of leaves, cig butts, a paper cup, and a dead mouse between the two. I installed a cooler aux fan switch that comes on at 200 and cuts off at 185. I have noticed that I am running a little warmer since doing this but the extra fan boost at 200 knocks the temp down pretty good and keeps me around 205 in traffic. Is the Water Wetter really better than these other manufacturers who produce a similar product? I used the 40 below stuff from Autozone last year and noticed my temps were lower using it but I also noticed alot of foam after installing it.

[Modified by Blue88, 8:20 AM 5/21/2003]
Old 05-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (Blue88)

Redline water wetter is a part of my coolant mixx.. Mine has 3 parts

First I go to the BMW dealer and get the Blue Coolant (one whole bottle)
Then to B&B auto parts for the redline water wetter
Next is at Safeway to get the distilled water (mix the two 50/50)

That along with the 160 stat the temps stay real low..

No extra fan for me..Oh and another is to squeeze the top hose for bubbles and air pockets,this will build the heat up also if not done..

Rob

Old 05-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Blue88
Instructor

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (Tolofou)

I have looked for the water wetter at autozone, pep-boys, napa, and some other stores and can't find it. Guess I will have to order from Mid America.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (Blue88)

Also flush the system good before dumping anything good in there.. Cause before I owned the car they put orange crap in there and it left a orange/brown butter behind.. I know its old but come one..And the green also waste your pipes and internals.. Thats why I like the BMW fluid.. It keeps it all purdy and blue.I use this Redline in all my cars and it dont stop there,,
Redline water wetter
Redline ATF
Redline rearend fluid
Redline MTL

Then I move on to Mobil 1 for my motor oil
And BMW has the cool blue windsheild washer fluid
Brakes it Super Blue DOT4

I can grab you a bottle and ship it to you.. I think they are 7.50 and 3.00 for shipping.. I have mail I have to send so its not a problem..
Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Fast_vette89
Pro

I might have to check out this BMW coolant. I'm using the Dexcool that GM recomends... seems ok. So the redline water stuff works eh? i might have to try that too. I just think it's b/c of the A/C condenser's fins. I'm gonna put a stock new radiator in and a new A/C condenser and a pusher fan. that should really do it. thanks for the input...i've never heard of BMW fluid. weird..but cool. by the way... Amsoil... i'm using 10-40 in my motor... and i love it. i checked out the specs and it out performed Mobil 1 by just a bit.:) Amsoil is supposed to be "THE" shiitt. I'm sold on Amsoil. I'm gonna put some Amsoil ATF in too. you only have to change the motor oil every 25K, but i do it every 9K just to be safe.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE]. I'm using the Dexcool that GM recomends... seems ok. So the redline water stuff works eh?

I don't think GM recommends Dexcool. Something about how it reacts to the cooling environment (gaskets, rubber and seals) if it is not designed to use it. I'd also look at whether you should use water wetter with Dexcool, some of the guys didn't like how it mixed with the Dexcool. If your car came with Dexcool from the factory then it's okay. My 92 came with the green stuff and that's what my GM manual recommends along with distilled water. The book also recommends these 6 pellets, but there is another debate on that, too.

For what it's worth

:flag :flag :flag
Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Early C4 cooling system/heating up (Strick)

Whats these pellets you guys are talking about..??
Old 05-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

you seem to have a point. well i know my 89 came with green stuff. So maybe i should just switch back to it.... freakin dexcool. :reddevil I'll just stick to some Zerex 70% distilled water and 30% antifreeze.

Get notified of new replies

To Early C4 cooling system/heating up

Quick Reply: Early C4 cooling system/heating up