C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Question

How is it to get a L98 intake runners plenium TB to work on a 1993 Chevy 305 5.0ltr..I herd they were more suited for small blocks.Cause wont this all bolt up and if I run a 91 Computer with all the wires with all the sensors and a replacement ignition.. To make it like the Corvette setup..

Would this work or am I crazy.

Also I bought TPIS Big Tube runners and A TPIS Ported Plenium for my mostly stock motor.. I have not dove into the insides.. I was wanting to help it breath now.. I was wanting to know how well do you think just adding this will work out..

Rob
Old 05-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Tolofou)

ok, i tried posting earlier but the forum was down i guess ... anyway i'll do this again. Your idea is decent. But not worth the hassle. the TPI set up was designed by GM for 305's to act like 350's. they give you torque and no HP though. Gm got cheap and put them on 350's. they are more suited for 305's due to the VE (volumetric efficiency) and CFM of the system. I'm running 13.5's on my auto 2.59 89 Coupe. Pretty dam impressive for a stock TPI set up w/bolt ons. THE TPI set up is coming off in a few wks and i'm putting on a stock LT1 intake manifold. if you ask people they'll say it won't fit.... but i know.... i drilled all new holes and ran a remote thermo housing, and all the other good details... http://www.LT1intake.com Let's do some realistic comparing here. a stock LT1 intake manifold will out perform ANY TPI set up including Lingenfelter's and SLP's. TPI makes a lot of power on DEMAND. It's good for Pop's or MA that want's to pass somone or screw around in traffic but don't race. to kill the 1/4 mile you need HP. no other equation to it. HP HP HP. the problem with ANY TPI set up is it sux. the LT1 intake manifold swap is costing me about $250 total.... and i'll have more HP than that 1,200 dollar Lingenfelter system.... (I pitty you who bought in to that rubbish.) The Lt1 intake design is the way to go.. for HP, $$, and reving. TPI won't rev b/c of the CFM/VE of the runners and all that crap. It's 80's technology.... let it die. or sell it to a 80's mullet camaro driver who never took math or Physics. Put on a LT1 intake manifold. It needs some custom work... but it's mild. and all the TPI stuff bolts up pretty much. I'm also switching over to the 92 F body TPI ECM, the 7730 Map system. another great upgrade. so TPI and MAF....so long. and to lingenfelter.... i'll put my $250 LT1 intake on, make more HP, buy my girlfriend something nice, and take the rest of the money and put a nitrous kit on!!!! LT1 is the way to go...look at the Lt4 manifold, the LS1 and LS6 manifold. SIngle plane, Higher Rev's, more HP style. TPI = GM's 80's screw up. i freakin HATE the 80's... they hate some good ideas....and things were basic....but they missed the nail's head. sell all your TPI stuff. that's my opinion. I'll have some Dyno's to prove my Lt1 upgrade. Any mullet mobile's need a new TPI set up?? mine's for sale....lol. rubbish.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Fast_vette89)

My car does not have a MAF. And I think since the intake is restrictive that the more air will help..

So you are saying you car runs on a LT1 intake?

I want to see this first before I jump in.. Sorry but I have seen these produce good power on other systems and dont want over 350hp anyway..

But what ever you like.. Thanks for the reply..

Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Tolofou)

i'm running a LT1 intake "manifold". That replaces the TPI set up. (cylinder head to throttle body...) for the actual "air intake".. that's custom. 3" mandrel piping and a C5 air bridge and a KN wedge filter in the front license plate.... and i also cut that out for ram/cold air. 52mm (750CFM) throttle body too.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:10 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Get with me on this idea.Send me some pics... Tolofou@aol.com

But what should I do to get some get-up out of my 305? A cam? Chip we had in the truck was a Jett performance chip.. No improvment. I know to get real power I need to port the heads and work on the block but IM limited cause I hate to tie the truck/car up in the shop for over a week.. Or month depending on works done..Oh, and that is big cash..

Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 12:40 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

ok, i tried posting earlier but the forum was down i guess ... anyway i'll do this again. Your idea is decent. But not worth the hassle. the TPI set up was designed by GM for 305's to act like 350's. they give you torque and no HP though. Gm got cheap and put them on 350's. they are more suited for 305's due to the VE (volumetric efficiency) and CFM of the system. I'm running 13.5's on my auto 2.59 89 Coupe. Pretty dam impressive for a stock TPI set up w/bolt ons. THE TPI set up is coming off in a few wks and i'm putting on a stock LT1 intake manifold. if you ask people they'll say it won't fit.... but i know.... i drilled all new holes and ran a remote thermo housing, and all the other good details... http://www.LT1intake.com Let's do some realistic comparing here. a stock LT1 intake manifold will out perform ANY TPI set up including Lingenfelter's and SLP's. TPI makes a lot of power on DEMAND. It's good for Pop's or MA that want's to pass somone or screw around in traffic but don't race. to kill the 1/4 mile you need HP. no other equation to it. HP HP HP. the problem with ANY TPI set up is it sux. the LT1 intake manifold swap is costing me about $250 total.... and i'll have more HP than that 1,200 dollar Lingenfelter system.... (I pitty you who bought in to that rubbish.) The Lt1 intake design is the way to go.. for HP, $$, and reving. TPI won't rev b/c of the CFM/VE of the runners and all that crap. It's 80's technology.... let it die. or sell it to a 80's mullet camaro driver who never took math or Physics. Put on a LT1 intake manifold. It needs some custom work... but it's mild. and all the TPI stuff bolts up pretty much. I'm also switching over to the 92 F body TPI ECM, the 7730 Map system. another great upgrade. so TPI and MAF....so long. and to lingenfelter.... i'll put my $250 LT1 intake on, make more HP, buy my girlfriend something nice, and take the rest of the money and put a nitrous kit on!!!! LT1 is the way to go...look at the Lt4 manifold, the LS1 and LS6 manifold. SIngle plane, Higher Rev's, more HP style. TPI = GM's 80's screw up. i freakin HATE the 80's... they hate some good ideas....and things were basic....but they missed the nail's head. sell all your TPI stuff. that's my opinion. I'll have some Dyno's to prove my Lt1 upgrade. Any mullet mobile's need a new TPI set up?? mine's for sale....lol. rubbish.
Oh boyy.. Where to start... :rolleyes:

I would LOVE to see your LT1 conversion utterly DESTROY my (and others) 'RUBBISH'... Give me a break.. LOL you race much? Saying you need HP and not Torque is like saying you need N to breathe and don't need the O2..

Put up your Lt1 modified vette vs an even stock TPI and see what your HP at 5K does, while the stock Grandpa's and Grandma's TPI is already way ahead of you.. I am not even talking the superram..

Put up some #'s lets see what you'll do.. Now step away from the ...

[Modified by MrNuke, 12:41 AM 5/21/2003]

[Modified by MrNuke, 12:41 AM 5/21/2003]
Old 05-21-2003, 12:46 AM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem with ANY TPI set up is it sux.

Ouch! :eek:

I don't know if I'd go that far- and I am biased- but I think the tuned port setup has a pretty stout pair of legs for street rods. Obviously the LT1 is a superior design as far as HP #s go, but look up the threads on superrams vs minirams/LT-1 intakes and that might help contrast the two. Frankly they can have very different applications but I feel I will be quite satisfied with the TPI I'm putting on my daily driver. Then again I'm not too concerned with my 1/4 mile times and I have a hunch the origional poster isn't either.

But For $250 for an LT1 conversion, you can't beat that!

:cheers:

Edit: By the way, I'd appreciate it if you (Fast_vette) would not generalize TPI setups to that of uneducated rednecks. Otherwise, to each his own! :thumbs:
Old 05-21-2003, 01:15 AM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

TPI makes a lot of power on DEMAND. It's good for Pop's or MA that want's to pass somone or screw around in traffic but don't race. to kill the 1/4 mile you need HP. no other equation to it. HP HP HP.

the problem with ANY TPI set up is it sux. (I pitty you who bought in to that rubbish.) runners and all that crap. It's 80's technology.... let it die. or sell it to a 80's mullet camaro driver who never took math or Physics.

TPI = GM's 80's screw up. i freakin HATE the 80's... they hate some good ideas....and things were basic....but they missed the nail's head. sell all your TPI stuff. that's my opinion.

Any mullet mobile's need a new TPI set up?? mine's for sale....lol. rubbish.
You lost me with all of your technical terminology. :rolleyes:

Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 AM
Dougs 90
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Fast_vette89, I would like to see those dyno numbers as I am considering the same swap! But I saw somwhere on here, cant find it now, some dude had it on his car and had to rev it up to almost 3 grand to get in his driveway. Said it sucked up to 3000-3300, then ran like hell from there to around 5700 when he didn't dare run it higher. I have heard the LT1 is great on the strip, but not very streetable in a modded motor. That is what is keeping me away from this one, about $650 gets you a Super Ram which is very well supported and tested, just sounds like a PITA to put on!

Doug

[Modified by Dougs 90, 12:49 AM 5/21/2003]
Old 05-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Ramanstud)

well MrNuke I don't mean to argue.... but i race a lot. I'll give you some situations... A- I don't see to many TPI's running good ET's. Most run 14's?? i saw a 88 run 14.8 at the local track(like most). and he came up to me and we were talking...his was stock....KN. I was running 13.66 that night. I've had my Car dyno'd.... at 4,550 RPM the HP falls like a roller coaster hill. I was making 265RWHP@4,500RPM. After that the party ended...and quickly. Now.... your saying that Pop's and ma are gonna be ahead... my friends all have.... LS1 WS6 Trans AM's.. let me tell you how raw my Ahole is after their done. a typical 1/4 run with them is... dead even til 50MPH...and then they romp on my butt. like no tomorrow. and TPI's have more torque than the LS1's...but we get DESTROYED by them. DESTROYED. so what your trying to say is that a TPI set up is better than LT1/LS1 style of manifolds?? TPI is or pulling a ricer race. i'll race you for 2 secs. and HP kills the 1/4.... not torque.. i know that Hp and Torque are a function of each other..and related..but generally speacking... HP is the killer. look at the LS1's... race a LS1 WS6 ram air on the street and see how the TPI system goes down. I have it in my car... it's nice...but not great. I've nver beat an LS1 TA...Never. and they come with.... 320HP... and like...waht.. 330ft/lbs of torque... and run 13.5's...STOCK.... and our 80's TPI's with 330Ft/lbs and 240Hp run high 14's stock?? b/c HP kills the clock... Torque is for trucks.... It's physics you can't deny it... that's the reason the TPI set up is in every junk yard and loses every single race to LS1's.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:49 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

If you want to make a comparison between an L98/TPI car and the LS1 cars, then you should know that the TPI cars are closer to the LSI configuration than they are to the LT1 configuration.

LT1 cars have 3" intake runners. L98 cars have 21" intake runners. LS1 cars have 15" intake runners. The TPI cars can maintain a better HP/TQ ratio than the LT1 cars if the owner does the intake work for better breathing.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:15 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Matt Black)

how in the world are LS1 runners 15"?????
Old 05-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

:bs
Old 05-21-2003, 03:29 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Because they cross over and feed the opposite bank of cylinders, just like the runners on an L98.

Two recent threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=566024

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=555868

Note that I'm not saying the TPI plenum is the best thing in the world, I'm saying that you're beating on it a little too hard.

And I have no idea how to adapt one to Tolofou's engine.

[Modified by Matt Black, 2:51 AM 5/21/2003]
Old 05-21-2003, 04:58 AM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (Matt Black)

ok, 15" it is. Sorry bout that. it is more like the TPI intake design. either way... i say we all get LS1's..lol. LS1 is the best... TPI, LT1...w/e... no match for that thing called an LS1 or LS6. If i win the lotto this weekend... i'm buying a Zo6 or maybe a 00 WS6. lol. It will be interesting to see the Lt1 conversion on the L98 though. for $250 you can't beat the trying chance.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Thanks guys for all the input..

I see some have there ideas and other have theirs. Its all good and you all have a great hump day..

Rob
Old 05-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

ok, 15" it is. Sorry bout that. it is more like the TPI intake design. either way... i say we all get LS1's..lol. LS1 is the best... TPI, LT1...w/e... no match for that thing called an LS1 or LS6. If i win the lotto this weekend... i'm buying a Zo6 or maybe a 00 WS6. lol. It will be interesting to see the Lt1 conversion on the L98 though. for $250 you can't beat the trying chance.
U-turns are illegal. :jester So you haven't actually done the LT1 conversion? When you get around to it, let us redneck TPI guys know. Although most of us can't read, I'd still like to look at the pictures of this kind of swap.

:lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Question

Old 05-21-2003, 10:14 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: Intake Question (Ramanstud)

Raymanscrud,

Wah't yu meen, kain't reed? I kain reed, its riten i has a problum weeith.
I kain reed veri wale, tank ya.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:44 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Intake Question

I'm not gonna make this into a flame thread, so I'll back off right now, but just FYI. I was going to install an LT1 conversion on my car, but the more I read about it, the less I wanted it..
Lets see :
Non-Emissions Legal, since EGR goes ByeBye, Lose a tonn of Low end on an L98 car since they were designed with TQ in mind not high rpm HP.
High chances of fitting problems / leaks due to changes in intake manifold.
Lower sitting ThrottleBody messes with a MAF car.

When the guy above said TPIS and Superrams run in the 14's I am wondering what the heck he is still talking about.. Bone stock I ran 14.0-14.1, With slp's and bolt ons I ran mid 13's, now with superram I should be in the LOW 13's. With headers, and my new Dana44 with 3.45's I am pretty much guaranteed easy 12's.. And that is STILL on my internally STOCK L98.
Many REALLY fast vettes on this forum have the superram running 11's even 10's. Yes there are some Minirams, I don't know of ANY LT1 conversions runnign anywhere near that by the way...

We'll see what you say when you get done with the conversion... IF you get done.. :lol: Good luck By the way..
Old 05-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Intake Question (MrNuke)

See I was asking the question on how do you think this idea of mine of putting the Big tube runners on with the ported plenium from TPIS..How much power will I get with just a 91 vert vette L98 and

hypertech chip w/160stat
No frisbee
Cut air box
Throttle body bypass
Flowmaster muffs
Motor is stock and I have a automatic..

I want power, but bolt ons are fine for me now..

This car allready flies like its got more than it should..

Rob

[Modified by Tolofou, 4:14 PM 5/21/2003]

Quick Reply: Intake Question