C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:34 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan

I have a 85 vette. A while ago, my fan in front of my radiator stopped working. I fiqured out it was my relay ( the one on the wheel well by the battery) (drivers side) because the relay was basically melted and fried. I called all over for the part and had to order it through a GM dealer. In the meantime, I needed to use my car so my boyfriend rigged up some type of whatever, and made it so my fan would at least come on. Only now, I have total control on when my fan is on or off because he installed a toggle switch under my dash. This was cool for me at the time because my part was going to take a couple of days because of shipping. Well, I got my new relay (actually i think it was the wiring harness because it has about 5 long wires and it's own little plastic thing that it's attached too) (You must forgive me, I'm a chick, but I'm learning) and now 6 months later it's still not in. I have no clue on what my other half did when he pulled the melted one out. But, now the question is this, I went to go and get my air conditioning charged and ready for the 120 degree weather I have here in Arizona and my air compressor would not take a charge. It was working last summer just great and the year before that I put a new compressor in. Even the person who was putting my freon in told me that he doesn't believe that it's the compressor. Well, then I started reading my book on my car to see if that relay thing had anything to do with my air conditioner. I am wondering also if maybe my fan (before it was rigged) went on at a certain temperature on my A/C or has anything to do with the A/C unit itself and maybe that is why my A/C won't take a charge. We can't even get any freon into the system. So, does that wiring harness have a wire in it that does something to make my A/C work? or have anything to do with it at all? Please help me, my boyfriend is a jerk at the moment and it's getting up to 100 degree weather now. Thanks :confused:
Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (groovyvette85)

One problem at a time, first and foremost you need to get the fan relay fixed properly. If your BF rigged up the toggle switch than he should know how to unrig it and replace the defective part. If he’s no longer your BF you might have to take it to a shop to have it replaced, unless you feel comfortable doing this work yourself. When this is working correctly we’ll take a look at the A/C system.

:cheers:
Old 05-13-2003, 02:52 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (groovyvette85)

Andrea,
On my 96 it is tied in some how. When I turn my AC on the fan goes on also.
Have you tried Jeff Koop ( well a new guy hadles the parts dept, Chris) for parts or even The Last Detail? They are reallt good to deal with and ahve good prices. The switch that your boyfriend hooked up was done by grounding the circuit for the fan and hooking it to a switch. If you could snap some pics of teh parts and post them here that would help some. The new relay sounds like it needs to be spliced in that's all. Need to match the same color wires to each other. You may be able to just plug the relay in as long as the original plug hookup and wires are fine and not melted. I've spent time in AZ when it was 110 degrees. It was not that bad due to low humidity. 100 degrees here in VA is insane due to the humidity. Sorry I can't help ya from here. hope you two start getting along. It's sucks to be fighting :boxing and not hugging and kissin. :grouphug: :leaving:
Old 05-13-2003, 02:56 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (IBEAM700)

By meaning the fan in FRONT of you radiator, do you mean the smaller one in the front of the A/C Condensor? Check your RPO sheet, and see if you have RPO Code B4P. If you do, that means you have dual fans (small one in front of condensor, then large normal one in back of radiator) It's a really easy fix actually. Just get a voltmeter, then check to see if you're getting voltage to the plug @ the front fan (booster fan) if you are, then the fan motor is bad, if you're not, then the relay by the battery is bad. (and if you said it's melted, I can ASSURE you it's GONE!) As for your A/C problem, let me go back and read your post....and then I'll post a reply on THAT topic.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (TIMSPEED)

ok, I gotcha now. I had an 85 with massive cooling fan wiring problems, so I definately can help you!
I'm sure that your A/C won't take a charge because it's already full! What happens when you turn the A/C on, does it blow hot air, or does it blow just normal not-so-cold air? I'll put all my money on replacing that relay (by battery) and you'll be set like tet. While I was at it, I would add a low temp fan switch ($14 from Mid-America Designs) and then wire on that new relay (yes it does come with a few long wires, so it makes it easier to put it on. It's a very easy install, and you'll be glad you installed it when you did. If I had access to my vette I'd give you a detailed description of how to put it in, but since I don't have access to it, gimme a few minutes and let me search for photo's of that relay and I'll report back.
(P.S.- I'm just doing this because I know how much of a damn hassle that cooling fan problem is, because I had it with my 85)
Old 05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

I understand that the new harness needs to be replaced. I am wondering though if some of the wires in the relay that burnt up are related to my A/C somehow. Is it somehow connected in the wiring? And my A/C is not full at all. It's totally empty. And I'm talking about the fan in front of my water pump. That is the one that wouldn't work until i had it rigged up to the battery. Thanks so far for some of the replys
Old 05-13-2003, 03:19 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (TIMSPEED)

It blows hot air
Old 05-13-2003, 03:21 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (ConeKLR)

The whole thing is fried. I got a new one. It came with a new hook up and the wires are already in it.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (IBEAM700)

I don't even want him working on it. Also, I can't trust any shop in this town because there all tweakers. I would rather do it myself. That way I know that the parts that have been removed will all go back on. If a shop does it I'll only get some screws put back in, etc. It's the town i live in. It is not well known for any good service shops. Is that relay and wiring harness got anything to do with my A/C?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Maybe another forum member in your area wouldn’t mind replacing it for you. Sounds like a pretty easy job that a soldering iron and some shrink wrap tubing would easily remedy. I also believe this relay is the root of you’re A/C problem.
TIMSPEED has given some good advice. :yesnod:
Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 PM
radwebster
Pro

it is set so that when you turn the AC on, the fan comes on too. so what is happening, is that when you turn the switch to put the AC, you are activating both the AC and the fan. if your boyfriend messed around in there, he may have either disconnected or moved the relay and wires that would activate the AC and the fan. so when you flip the switch now, nothing happens. have the relay installed the correct way and it should take care of that problem. as for the system not taking the freon...i don't know. take it to another shop, and have a different person/shop attempt it.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:42 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (radwebster)

when i turn on my A/C the fan in front of my water pump is already running because right when i get in my car i turn my toggle switch on so that way i don't forget. So, right away my fan is on. It doesn't matter if i turn on my A/C.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:49 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Correct, but most A/C systems are setup to prevent self destruction. For instance if your fan stopped working but the A/C compressor kept on working normally it would overheat the system and possibly cause damage to the A/C components. This is most likely one of the relays functions.
Also, if you don’t have a factory service manual, get one. The Chilton’s type manuals are good for nothing.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:53 PM
radwebster
Pro

when i turn on my A/C the fan in front of my water pump is already running because right when i get in my car i turn my toggle switch on so that way i don't forget. So, right away my fan is on. It doesn't matter if i turn on my A/C.
yes, but your fan is now totally independent of that relay system that was removed. the AC still functions off the relay, and since you don't have it, the AC will not work.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:54 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

do you have a picture of the wiring?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:58 PM
radwebster
Pro

no, but i'm sure one of these good people on this forum with 85's would be willing to scan the wiring diagram out of their service manual. ask nicely and someone will offer their diagram :D
Old 05-13-2003, 03:58 PM
groovyvette85
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan (radwebster)

Thankyou. That was the answer that i was waiting for. Do you have a picture of the wiring. the way it's supposed to look. Or instructions on putting the wiring harness and relay back on. I have a haynes book but it doesn't explain it well. the new one i got from the gm place didn't even have any instructions on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan

Old 05-13-2003, 04:03 PM
markd79ta
Intermediate

Can you visually see where your boyfriend removed the relay; and the splices that were made? If so, do the wire colors match up with the new part you bought? If so, just go and buy some wire crimp ends and some crimping pliers, and splice the new wires into your existing wiring harness. Once this is done, you can troubleshoot the remaining problems. I wouldn't try to figure out your AC or your fan problems until this is done. I see that you are in Arizona...bummer, I would do this for you, but I live in Denver. I know how you feel...I am working with the headlight relays on my fiancee's '86...they are a pain!!! and, hard to come by!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:35 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Guys guys guys, I think we're all missing something here.
What she just said would have no bearing whatsoever on the A/C. The A/C's fan is in front of the car (option B4P, but still makes the A/C Cooler as well as is linked in to kicking on the A/C Compressor Clutch.)
I'm going to PM you a list of things groovy.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:21 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

groovyvette85, take a look at the link below, its a scan (.GIF ~750K) of the schematic of the cooling fan for a 1985:

85 Vette Cooling Fan Schematic

Hopefully with this color-code information you'll be able to splice the new fan relay in.

BTW, 85's Rock!

[Modified by LWesthaver, 8:25 PM 5/13/2003]

Quick Reply: Relay on 85.... Help please, my boyfriend mickey'd moused my fan