C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

H pipe and Flowmasters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:30 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default H pipe and Flowmasters

Ok guys, before you all flame me and say to use the 'search' function, I already have and couldn't find an answer to my specific question. So, here goes...

I have the stock exhaust system running into 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers. So, this means both cats and a resonator. Now, I've had this setup for about 6 months, and I've just about had it with the resonance at 1700-1900 rpm. At first it was tolerable, but now on long trips it is starting to give me a headache. I like the way it sounds everywhere else in the rpm range, though.

So, what I have been thinking about doing is adding an H pipe. What I need to know first is whether or not any of you have this setup and if so, does the H pipe cut down on the resonance? I'm not talking about totally eliminating it, just dulling it a bit. Also, what size should the pipe be and where should the crossover be placed?

Again, I'm not concerned with the debate of X vs H pipes and horsepower gains. All I want to know is will an H pipe make the Flows slightly more tolerable. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: H pipe and Flowmasters (HammerDown)

Thats a good question for me too :lurk:
Old 05-12-2003, 03:51 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, another solution - and waaayyy more fun - change to 4.10s and move your 70 RPM range to 2K. :cheers:
Old 05-12-2003, 04:07 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Default Re: H pipe and Flowmasters (NavyVet)

Only if you drive out here and do it. I'll buy you a beer :D

That's a good solution, just a little more expensive than I was looking for.

Anyone else?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:28 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have flows on my duel exhaust and the noise is just as bad if not worse. This is on a pretty healthy motor though. But the best think I did to cut down on the noise inadvertantly was put a bigger stall converter in the car, now its never in that deaf zone you speak of.

Overdrive is still horrible if going about 50MPH, since the converter is locked nad Rs are down. I usually drive around in D, since I could care less about gas mileage or cost. And if that is your house and other car in the background I doubt you care either :eek: Nice house if it is :cheers:

Anyways you might want to try, I read wouldn't do it to mine, but plugging the one pipe coming out of the muffler. Its suppose to cut the noise WAY down and not hurt performance too bad.

If you could find some real high temp rubber, stick it in far enough that you couldn't see it and have a screw with nuts and washers on it to squeeze and mushrood it out, you could probably effectively plug it.

Or do what we used to do to an old grump man that lived in our neighborhood. We hid right along his driveway, laying on a bank that went up to the driveway about 8 ft away. We snuck up earlier and pounded a potato into his exhaust pipe. We laid there till he came out to leave for work. His car started for a moment till he put it into Drive, then it stalled. He kept cranking and cranking and cranking it over till to our surprise was the loudest explosion I had ever heard! That F'in potato would have killed ANYTHING behind that car. He jumped out of the car to see what had happen. We were all laughing sooooo hard and also trying to run away, since he obviously heard/saw us. My brother pissed his pants while laughing/running away. :lolg: :lolg:

Sorry your post made me think of that crazy summer day. Old man Temasin still flips me off to this day when he sees me! My 6 and 7 yr old think its the funniest thing ever when he does it. :rofl:

Sorry for the long post! :cheers:

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 4:33 PM 5/12/2003]
Old 05-12-2003, 04:33 PM
madquake
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, before you all flame me and say to use the 'search' function, I already have and couldn't find an answer to my specific question. So, here goes...

I have the stock exhaust system running into 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers. So, this means both cats and a resonator. Now, I've had this setup for about 6 months, and I've just about had it with the resonance at 1700-1900 rpm. At first it was tolerable, but now on long trips it is starting to give me a headache. I like the way it sounds everywhere else in the rpm range, though.

So, what I have been thinking about doing is adding an H pipe. What I need to know first is whether or not any of you have this setup and if so, does the H pipe cut down on the resonance? I'm not talking about totally eliminating it, just dulling it a bit. Also, what size should the pipe be and where should the crossover be placed?

Again, I'm not concerned with the debate of X vs H pipes and horsepower gains. All I want to know is will an H pipe make the Flows slightly more tolerable. Thanks.
I'll give this is a stab here ...

Now I'm going to speak from a mustang point of view and crossover since I have a ton of experience here with these and Flowmaster.

The sound that your getting from the exhaust is not the exhaust it self but
the "2 CHAMBER" mufflers by flowmaster that were installed!
A stock system minus Flows isn't loud at all....

You also didn't specify if you was considering a Catted H pipe ... or a Offroad
H pipe...
But either way its going to be worst...
The offroad being the worst of the two!!
You'll have no Cats toning the sound down ...
Yes .... free flowing better and in essence making more power but also more sound.... again no thanks to the MUFFLERS "Two Chamber" flows are brutal for the ear and constant drone and hummmm in the car.

My suggestion is if you want more power and want to kill some sound ...
put headers on, high flow cats or leave the "STOCK ONES" and go with a nice cat back system using say 3 chamber Flows if you like FLOWMASTER or another performance mufflers thats not so loud like a 2 chamber!
The swap of the flows will make a difference.

You want loud ??
My 5.0 Stang has 5/8 Shorty headers on ported e7 heads with the lower intake ported as well .... all hooked to a Offroad 2.5 Hpipe (no cats) with 2 chamber mufflers and Dumps (No Tail Pipes)

No that my friend makes some power and enough Noize too bark and turn any confidence any ricer may have into straight mushy fear!!!

In essence winning many races with out even racing. Hehehe... :D

Hope this helps..

Mark A..

FLOWS KICKASS BUT IT TRUELY ISN'T FOR EVERONE :thumbs:

Old 05-12-2003, 04:52 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Default Re: H pipe and Flowmasters (ski_dwn_it)

Ha! I wish that was my house. Actually, that's not even a house; it's the courtyard of a small shopping center. I'm still looking for my FIRST house.

Anyway, the Flows I have are just the 2.5" offset in/2.5" center out. No dual tips, so I really couldn't plug anything. I have heard that suggestion before, though.

And to make sure everyone else is clear, this is an LT1 6-spd WITH catalytic converters. Don't plan on taking off the cats until they go bad, or I get long tube headers :D

Does anyone have or know of somone who has the H-pipe/Flowmaster combo? The only reason I even started to think about the H pipe was due to a discussion on the Impala SS forum in which someone with 40-series Flowmasters said installing a balance pipe reduced the resonance considerably.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:58 PM
madquake
Pro

Does anyone have or know of somone who has the H-pipe/Flowmaster combo? The only reason I even started to think about the H pipe was due to a discussion on the Impala SS forum in which someone with 40-series Flowmasters said installing a balance pipe reduced the resonance considerably.
YEAP!!
I have it on my Stang ... Read my previous post!!

Hope it all helps!!

I also keep hearing that the elimination of the cats is only worth like 3 Hp on a Vette anyways ... In most cases breaking the emmision laws in most states.

I live in Florida so it wouldn't apply here .. Just a FYI.

Mark A.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:36 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Default Re: H pipe and Flowmasters (madquake)

Well, I'm reluctant to compare the LT1 exhaust system to a 5.0 Mustang's. I'm just afraid it would be apples to oranges, ya know? First of all, the Mustang has about 2-3 feet of pipe after the mufflers, whereas the Vette's mufflers are right at the end of the system. So there are different acoustical dynamics at play, i.e. the chambers are in the middle of a tuned pipe (Mustang) vs. the end (Corvette). And even then, you said you don't have any pipe after the mufflers, just dumps. So that is probably a big source of resonance right there. Getting the exhaust pulses out behind the car would probably help. Anyway, I'm really trying to do an identical comparison before I spend the money. No offense intended. Thanks for the info, though!

By the way, I love the sound of a 5.0 Mustang breathing through 2-chamber Flowmaster's. That's what the Vette should sound like from the factory, IMO.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know too, even though I have a '86. I have Flowmasters, behind a Random Tech cat, and full length headers. It's too loud for me. I've wondered if a cross-over pipe in the rear, like is offered by Dynomax, really works. The ads claim that it eliminates resonance. Has anyone ever tried these, or had a cross-over pipe added?

:chevy
Old 05-13-2003, 01:43 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Don't think this will help...
Just my thoughts....
tony
:nono:
Old 05-13-2003, 10:19 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Anyone with the LT1 have any input????
Old 05-13-2003, 05:00 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

ttt
Old 05-14-2003, 10:06 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

One last try... ttt

Get notified of new replies

To H pipe and Flowmasters

Quick Reply: H pipe and Flowmasters