C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:00 AM
steveelsbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower?

My oil pump is generating about 65 psi, and I have recently noticed oil beading on the end of the impellor shaft in the blower. Haven't had a chance to check the inlet tract of TB blades for oil yet, but wondered if this could be a simple case of too much oil pressure for the blower shaft seal?

If so, how do I go about restricting the pressure?

TIA
Steve
Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower? (steveelsbury)

Sounds like as seal on the Vortech S/C. The oil presure just sprays from the orifice on the oil feed line onto the gear set inside the S/C; there is no pressure provided to the S/C bearings. If it is a seal, get it fixed as it could allow oil into the engine as well, which can increase the cnace of detonation.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:34 AM
steveelsbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower? (Blown Vette)

It sounds like engine blowby entering the blower from a valve cover vent into the blower aircleaner. I would guess an engine that ran lean base on using too small injector and stock miniram fuel rails as the cause. The engine you describe in your signature needs 72LB injectors and a proper fuel rails.
Having had a proper look this weekend, I'd agree with your diagnosis, as the inlet tract is covered in oil. I also agree I do need bigger injectors, as I'm running a 92% duty cycle at WOT, but the engine has *not* leaned out. If anything, it was running over rich until I got the wideband fitted! Compression tests this weekend showed cylinder 2 at 140 psi, with all the others at 190-210, so I think I've found the broken ring that's the root cause. An extended idle period with the air filter off showed no oil leakage at the blower - I'm sure it's all being blown through the PCV.

Engine teardown imminent!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure through a Vortech V1 Blower?