C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing the Brake fluid..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Brake fluid..

I want to drain all of the old out and put in some good stuff.. I have done this with my BMW brake bleeder but it wont fit the dual setup on the Vette..

Should I just bleed the brakes one by one pumping till the Blue comes out of the zert...By pumping the brakes and adding as it goes down or do they make a brake bleeder kit?

Rob
Old 05-01-2003, 12:06 AM
CorvetteKid1983
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (Tolofou)

This winter, I just completed the Grand Sport brake upgrade and flushed my brake system with new brake fluid.

I purchased a set of four "Speed Bleeders" http://www.speedbleeder.com and flushed the system. They make the job VERY simple. I recommend the purchase of this cheap, yet invaluable product.

The best situation is to have 3 people. One pressing the brakes, one monitoring/filling the brake fluid resevior, and one operating the speed bleeders. Take out some of the old fluid with a turkey baster (but be sure not to allow the resevior to empty below the pick-up lines).

Because the design does not allow air to be forced into the system, you do not have to open and close the valve everytime you pump the brakes. Just open the valve and pump the brakes, adding new fluid as the level drops. Remain at each wheel until new clean fluid flows through, close the Speed Bleeder and move to the next wheel. I would recommend Passenger Rear, Passenger Front, Driver Front, Driver Rear for an order.

The Speed Bleeders are GREAT. They make the job very easy, clean, and very safe (avoiding air in lines). They even come with a clear bag to attach to the bleeder so you can monitor the fluid color.

Hope this helps. Take Care. :flag
Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, AutoZOne and some other stores that carry the "HELP!" line of products have the speedbleeders in stock. Have em check the MotorMite catalog so they can get you the right numbers. Had 4 in stock for my 85 and they worked without a hitch.

Also, I use a plastic cup (think a keg-cup but clear) and cut a hole in the bottom. Force it slightly into the reservoir and it will form a tight seal. Drain most of the old fluid out and you can pour a ton of fluid into the cup. When doing the job solo, it makes it go MUCH faster cause you don't have to keep refilling the cylinder. Good luck, -Matt
Old 05-01-2003, 03:25 AM
linkschamp
Pro

Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (CorvetteKid1983)

... I purchased a set of four "Speed Bleeders" ... They even come with a clear bag to attach to the bleeder so you can monitor the fluid color.
Actually, the "drain kit" is a six ($6) option but well worth it. Kit includes a sealed plastic (reusable) bag with an inlet and removable cap. Also included as a 3' section of surgical tubing which attaches to the bag inlet and slips over the end/top of the spleed bleeder. Easy to watch the fluid drain and check for air bubbles. I think the bag holds about a quart and you never have to touch the fluid - just drain back into the empty fluid container or an old oil quart container and dispose of (according to local requirements).

Simple and neat! :yesnod:
Old 05-01-2003, 07:02 AM
C4SMAJ
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (linkschamp)

or you can do the gravity bleed...I do that on occasion when I want to change out all the fluid in the system...I just put a hose on each bleeder valve and run that to a cup with some fluid already in it..then just open each bleeder valve to the point where fluid is dripping thru..it takes a while...but all you have to worry about is keeping the resivour full... I did notice after doing this once a few days later the fluid was dark again...I was told that when bleeding the brake system you do not flush out the fluid thats in the ABS...so to get all the fluid out you need to flush it drive it a few days so that the fluid in the ABS gets flushed out and do it again.... :seeya
Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 AM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (larryf)

or you can do the gravity bleed...I do that on occasion when I want to change out all the fluid in the system...I just put a hose on each bleeder valve and run that to a cup with some fluid already in it..then just open each bleeder valve to the point where fluid is dripping thru..it takes a while...but all you have to worry about is keeping the resivour full... I did notice after doing this once a few days later the fluid was dark again...I was told that when bleeding the brake system you do not flush out the fluid thats in the ABS...so to get all the fluid out you need to flush it drive it a few days so that the fluid in the ABS gets flushed out and do it again.... :seeya
:iagree: Gravity bleed works very well, you can go on and do other things, just check back every 15 to 20 minutes to be sure there is fluid in MC :D

:steering:
Old 05-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use Valvoline SynPower DOT3/4 fluid. Good stuff and readily available at most retail parts stores.

I need to do this too. Still have factory orig fluid in the system on my '95 :eek:
Old 05-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Tolofou
Pro

Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (Lone Ranger)

Thanks for the help.. The bleeder is a 4 part deal? And get a clear bag for each wheel with tubing. We have a coffee can we use for brake fluid with a piece of fish tank tubing..Works great. My bleeder I have is for one size hole and the vette has 2 different sized holes..

Plus use ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid .Very high boiling pointe and nice wet pointe.

Rob
Old 05-01-2003, 11:18 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a Mit-Vac which also serves as a Vacuum gage.

http://www.mityvac.com/kits.html
Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

Default Re: Changing the Brake fluid.. (ld85)

mity vac for me best $30 I ever spent

Get notified of new replies

To Changing the Brake fluid..

Quick Reply: Changing the Brake fluid..