C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[PCV mod?] Any of you done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:47 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default [PCV mod?] Any of you done it?

It's quite the topic over on the C5 board. The pcv mod. I guess they put a little filter inline with the pcv system to see if oil is going in to the intake which is a definite NO NO.

I think some of us have experienced it(I know I am currently) and am wondering if you'd tried it and how to do it on a c4. I'd think you would do it on the drivers side...seeing that is where the pcv valve is located.

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Old 04-22-2003, 08:50 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (Jay D 90 383)

Not sure about your engine JD, but on my stock '88, the PCV is indeed on the drivers side. The hose on the passenger side is the vent to circulate fresh air to the crankcase. Should get vacuum on the driver side, and slight pressure on the passenger side. :cheers:
Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Yes

My pcv is on the drivers side, and that hose that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body is where you mentioned. I did notice quite an oily look when I had the intake off(collapsed lifter in october) which made me wonder if I should perform a mod like that.

Thanks for the reply...I'm sure more will chime in with ideas-tips.

:thumbs:
Old 04-22-2003, 10:51 PM
HWoods
Drifting

I have both of mine routed to a Moroso Aluminum catch can. I was seeing quite a bit of oil in my intake. I have on occasion pulled the plug on the catch can and drained a small amount of oil out of it. Ihave it mounted on the cross brace in front of the engine behind the radiator. I have seen some install a small inline filter in the hose system though.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:55 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (HWoods)

Come over tomorrow JD, we'll do both our cars..
I am running a fluid seperator (aka pcv mod) on my passenger side, as when my lower intake was on incorrectly I was blowing oil through there like crazy.. Since the intake has been redone, it has strict vacuum on it, which is perfect..

As far as I know it is usual to get a little oil after spirited driving or a week or so of normal driving on the drivers' side PCV-to-intake hose. I'll be doing that mod too with you.. Just have to find a good way to route it and keep it nice and proper.. I'm not sure if it matters if you use a long hose between the PCV and the intake.. Stock it is but a 3" piece, but the fluid seperator won't fit there.

:cheers:
Old 04-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of filter do you plan on using? Sounds like a good idea....

:chevy
Old 04-23-2003, 04:22 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (Curveit)

I could have used something like that on my 350 last year with all the blowby it had from the broken rings. :banghead:

I read about several different methods. You could really get funky and run a tube from the VC to the headers collector with a fitting welded into it then all the oil would be burned in the exhaust, plus you would be able to PUll a lot more vacuum, some claim that is free HPs. Not sure if it would help or not. :cheers:

PS JD you crazy with that photoshop...pretty impressive work. I hope I never get on your bad side, you could post some pretty nasty picture of me using that as a chop tool! :crazy: :lol:

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 4:23 PM 4/23/2003]
Old 04-23-2003, 07:55 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (ski_dwn_it)

I've done the mod; I'm getting a small amount of oil in the filter after high RPM runs. I emptied it prior to getting on the chassis dyno & at the end of 4 runs to 6500 RPM I had about 2 tablespoons of oil in the filter.
I'm also running a filter on the other side of the PCV system (fresh air side) between the T-Body & the valve cover.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:37 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Thanks to MrNuke for installing it on my car despite shivering conditions!(how ironic, last wednesday we we're baking at 86 degs!). It is a campbell hausfeld filter thingamajiggy. You can buy one at auto zone. Then buy two 1/4 npt fittings(in-out) and some hose. It's neatly run from the pcv on the drivers side cover, under the smog pump elim on top of the radiator then back through the wheelwell area.

It looks pretty good. I spun it up to 6100 1-2 a few times but haven't checked it yet. I'm sure it's a worthy mod.

Jesse, I don't have a clue how to doctor colors on cars with photoshop...so have no fear! :cheers:
Old 04-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like a cool mod to do...may consider it down the road if everything goes as planned with the car.Any pics of it?
TTYL!

:)
Old 04-23-2003, 09:19 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I put one on my car a couple of years ago. That was BEFORE it started burn the massive amounts of oil it does now. I used an el cheapo fuel filter, I found it at an auto parts store. It helps keep a lot of oil out of the manifold. I just had to pull my manifold to patch a hole, and I was amazed how much cleaner it was inside this time. I believe it has a part number printed on it. I could get it if anyone is interested, but it is really nothing special. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

I did not yet take any photos. It's freezing outside(I can't believe I am saying that) I will tomorrow and post them here. I'll also see if there is any oil from my ride home. :cheers:
Old 04-23-2003, 10:00 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (CFI-EFI)

I need pictures. :hat
Old 04-23-2003, 10:07 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

it is quite similar to this chris(and anyone else who asked for photos)
http://www.netsworkonline.com/rockers/index.htm
http://www.ctpc.biz/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=258

[Modified by Jay D 90 383, 11:16 PM 4/23/2003]
Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It seems like the filter would restrict the flow a little (a bad thing) so you'd have to go with a lighter PCV valve to compensate. I'm considering filtering the pass side from back flow into the throttle body. After I cure that, I can determine how nasty it is coming up through the pcv valve.

The pcv/fuel cannister lines feed into the airstream through some little 3/16" holes in the top of each tunnel in the base manifold. At least that's how it does on my 85.. i think. Or I could be getting that mixed up with the egr. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:54 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it? (CentralCoaster)

On my '85 the pcv feeds into the canister line and the middle drivers' side intake tract, which connects into the lower intake, but as far as I noticed only one section. Not sure if it is 'plumbed' into all the 8 intake tracts..
Old 04-24-2003, 03:51 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It is a campbell hausfeld filter thingamajiggy. You can buy one at auto zone. Then buy two 1/4 npt fittings(in-out) and some hose.
Did you have to order this thing?
So I should go over there and say gimme a "campbell hausfeld filter thingamajiggy"

Get notified of new replies

To [PCV mod?] Any of you done it?

Old 04-24-2003, 04:19 PM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

Hrmm.. So oil in the drivers side hose isnt good then?
I have a clear hose on there now (only thing that I had that fit). And although is colapses quite a bit it pulls oil through it noticably.

Now you said you were loosing a quart of oil per 1000 miles or something like that... Wouldnt you get a quart per 1000 into that little filter then?

Matt
Old 04-24-2003, 04:31 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

The mod DEFINITELY works. I hammered on it bigtime,and it shows. There is a little more than an eyedropper full of oil in there now, I don't know why I'm excited by this...but it's better than going in to my intake.

As far as what the part is called, I have no clue. MrNuke had the idea to do the mod,and saw one at Auto Zone. When I saw how neat and tidy his was, I had to have one in addition to my car using oil.

Yes, it's using a quart around every 750 miles now. Maybe this will help the consumption and prevent it from blowing out the dipstick tube(keeping an eye there too). Amazing, such a small little modification can be done at home and make such a big difference.

:cheers:
Old 04-24-2003, 06:56 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did anyone ever think to try a different setup on the valve cover. It seems like the baffle isn't doing its job (does yours have a baffle?). I guess there's just too damn much blowby and its carrying oil drops with it when it comes out of there.

Quick Reply: [PCV mod?] Any of you done it?