C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful

I am about to change the wires and plugs for the first time. I have the plugs already from another member on the forum, I looked at summit racing and found these taylor wires TAY-79033, they are 10.4MM black for an lt1. I also just bought an msd 6a ignition module that will go on after the plugs and wires to ensure each upgrade works properly.

The questions anyone use these wires? I hear they are good.
Any suggestions to about plug gap over the stock value with the coming mods and existing mods? See sig
Should I just stick with msd 8.5MM?
Money isn't an object

Please help me make a choice I'll be happy to live with.....thanks

Kitt
Old 04-09-2003, 09:14 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful (kittmaster)

MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires have the lowest resistance per foot of any wire out there and high heat resistance.

With a high output coil you might try .45" gap; try the cut back electrode (pic on my site) for a little extra HP.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful (kittmaster)

Hi Kitt,

Take it from me, you're not going to like the factory looms on those 10.5mm wires :nonod: I've been battleing the problem of proper looming of my 8.5mm wires (MSD). Made for You Looms don't work on a stock LT-1 and the factory looms first have to be reamed out and then the wires are too fat to go the stock routing, they get kinked. The problem area is at the plug end where the two wires are loomed together as the MSD terminals are massive. Although there are guys on the forum that have had no problems, I'd like to see their finished product. This is one time I wish I wasn't a perfectionist. I'm fabricating custom brackets simular to the factory brackets that allow for smooth routing of these wires. Oh, the stats on the wires lean towards the MSD Super Conductors, just loom them correctly. Good luck

Strick :flag :flag :flag
Old 04-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Magnacore 8mm wires. I don't have them but they seem a good RFI suppressed low ohm wire.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:46 AM
wake
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard from anyone else that used them, but the MSD 8.5s didn't live long in my car... I also have the MSD-6AL...

The MSD wires only lasted about 20K miles before needing to be replaced... I bought Taylor 8mm wires and they've been great for the last 20K miles without any problems...

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the low resistance MSD wires didn't like the multiple sparks of the ignition for 20K miles... It sure seemed to ruin them pretty quickly, although I'm wondering if to the multispark ignition it's like 100K miles since it's more than one spark per firing cycle...

I didn't have any problems getting 8.5mm wires into the stock looms on my 96, they were tight, but slipped in pretty easily when I coated the outside of the wire with liquid dish soap...
Old 04-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful (wake)

Hi wake,

What failed on your MSD 8.5 wires? You'd think that MSD would build a wire that would go with their 6AL. :skep:

I'd sure like to see how you did the #6 and #8 plug wires in the factory looms.

Thanks man :flag :flag :flag
Old 04-10-2003, 11:30 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful (Strick)

I've had the MSDs on the IROC with LT headers for 6yrs with no problems; though I run TPIS performance wires on the Vette for that stock look.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM
pwrful c4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the Taylor spiral core wires with no problems. :steering:
Old 04-10-2003, 06:14 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful (pwrful c4)

I am running 409 Taylor wires in blue. This is the first I have seen them in black. Kinda cool and stealthy.

The ONLY difference in the Taylor 8mm and the 10.4mm wires is an extra layer of sheathing. Unless, like me, you want to pay the extra money for additional sheathing, the regular Taylors work great and will also fit in the sotkc loom holders. I run the standard Taylors on my wifes car and the 409's on mine. Wife has almost 50K miles on her set and I am replacing them within the next month or two when I find the time. The Taylors are the best value in wires on the market today IMO.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:22 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like i'm gonna run with the msd 8.5's, thanks for all the input guys......... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire selection help 93 ruby....race fans input would be helpful