C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 info plz..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 02:25 PM
ZVITE
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 info plz..

Hi!
Im about to go see a 1990 C4 vette and i just need some input from people that actually own some. It would be very well appreciated. This is what i know so far(from looking on the web, correct me if im wrong) 90' Vette comes with the L98 - 245hp 345trq. The guy told me his C4 was a regular(not a ZR1) but had the same wheels as one and also the same body kit.
How is the ride in one of these? Suspension wise. ive heard from ppl that they are not the best car to take corners etc...
What are yur time slips about too? Don't intend to drag it, but nice to know.
That'S about it for now...any info would be mostly appreciated
Thank you

Jean-ALex
Old 04-03-2003, 02:27 PM
HTRK-1
Pro

Default Re: C4 info plz.. (ZVITE)

I don't know about the other items. But, for the money I can't think of a better car to "take corners with". The handling in these things is close to 1.0g.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:19 PM
BookSmart
Instructor

Default Re: C4 info plz.. (HTRK-1)

Corners Great. I have a 86 so yours I am shure will do better. MY wife told me she felt like she was on a rolor-coaster the other day :lol: Yah they pull close to 1g on the skid pad but on these Michigan roads I highly doubt that is the case. Worst roads in the US.

As far as ride I really like mine. Does well on long trips, seats are comfortable. Just stay away from dirt roads and construction aeras. It can ride like a brick on a crappy road but over all it is nice.

Have yet to race it or take it to the track but it gets up and goes on those freeway on ramps :) When it says you should go 25 or 30 I usually try and hit 50 :D
Old 04-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

There is a performance suspension option called Z51. You can find out it the car was equipped with it by looking under the center storage lid. There is a paper glued under there with a buch of 3 alphanumeric codes. Look here for the different suspensions available:
http://www.zr1.net/ZR1_suspension.html

You can tell if it has ZR1 back wheels by their width, 11". You can see the difference if you look at the center of the wheel around the lug nuts. The 11" wheel has a deeper inset then the 9.5" fronts.

I have a 6-speed and was able to eek out a 13.67 with a k&n air filter. I absolutly love my car. It's built like a tank and doesn't complain about the daily torture I put it through. If you look at my signiture, you'll see the mph of my 13.67 run.

I can't comment too much about the ride of my FX3 adjustable suspension equipped coupe because one of the shocks is blown. I did allways keep it in the stiffest setting. My shocks are at Bilstein right now to stiffen them up, plus I'm adding polyurethane bushings. Eventually I'll upgrade the anti-sway bars and springs, but I plan to use my car on the track for drivers events.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:59 PM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

HP Seems right, TQ is debateable. Rated anywhere between 330 and 345.
The ZR1 came with a wider body, including doors, rear 1/4s and rear bumper. I highly doubt this one has been upgraded to that. Although it might have what is sold as a ZR1 rear end, which basically is normal width copy. Wheels on a ZR1 are 11" wide in the rear, and have a MAJOR lip to the lug nuts, normal wheels look the same, just not as wide.

Ride quality depends on suspension options. Softer the suspension, better the ride, stiffer the suspension, harsher the ride. Not that they are harsh even with the stiff suspension. The Corvette since 84 has been one of the best handling cars around. In 88 and 89 it was banned from its class in SCCA racing and put into its own class (Corvette Challenge). Porsche purchased Corvettes to take apart so they could seewhy they were getting their @sses kicked so bad.

Drags your lookin low 14's high 13's. Depending on driver and track/conditions. I ran a (corrected to sea level) 13.9 with my stock 87, 3 months after I got my liscense..

Correction for Booksmart: The 84-87 is a better handling car then the 88-96 because of its suspension design. They also started going softer and softer on the spring rates as the years went on.

Goodluck with the car. And welcome aboard!
Matt

[Modified by VetteRacer282, 3:01 PM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Red90Coupe
Racer

My 90 handles corners very well, almost like it is on a rail. Especially compared to other cars I've owned. The deep bucket seats with good bolster support do a pretty good job keeping you firmly planted through corners. Also take note of the high trq number that the L98 puts out. Even if you are not going to race the car you will love that amount of torque under your right foot on the streets. That much torque, to say the least, is AWESOME.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out : http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/1990/index.html

and here you can pick the part of the car you want to learn about: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/category.php?catId=5

Good luck!! :cheers:
Old 04-03-2003, 06:12 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Suspension wise. ive heard from ppl that they are not the best car to take corners etc...
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Drive it and tell us about it.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:03 PM
91superram
Instructor

I own a 1991 convertible and with a couple of bolt on motor mods its a
real performer and when it comes to handling there isnt too many in the
same league.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:10 PM
BookSmart
Instructor

Default Re: C4 info plz.. (91superram)

Yah like I said I take the corners real hard :) Is the best part about the car. Seats hold ya real nice.

When I first got it is felt like a go-cart. It does not lean at all in the turns. If it does you know you are crankin around it. A go cart wityh a V-8 that is.

Didn't know the older vett's handled better. That is nbice to know. I really LOVE mine and I like the body style a lot.

:reddevil
Old 04-03-2003, 10:03 PM
ZVITE
2nd Gear

Thx for all the info!!
Very useful! Will let u know how it goes! :)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 info plz..

Quick Reply: C4 info plz..