C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear suspension problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 11:29 AM
76L48
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear suspension problems!!!

Forum members,

I just purchased a 1984 black/black coupe. The problem I seem to be having is the car seems to very unstable at speed (wants to dart laterally from side to side). I had the front suspension checked and everything was within spec. Once I had the rear suspension off the ground and supported, I grabbed the rear wheel (hands at 12 and 6 o'clock) and checked for play. I had no movement. But, when I grabbed the tire at the (3 and 9 o'clock) position I had quite a bit of movement. I tried looking for anything that was obviously worn out and the only thing I could find was the bushings where the upper and lower control arms fit into the rear knucle had a lot of play in them. Do I need to just replace the rubber bushings in the control arms or are there other places I should look? Both sides seem the have the same amount of play. Also the car has 80K miles on it. Thanks in advance. :confused:
Old 04-02-2003, 12:54 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Rear suspension problems!!! (76L48)

Also check out the rear tie rods. Have somebody shake the tire while you look. Whatever you replace, also have the wheel angles adjusted afterwards.

Toni

Quick Reply: Rear suspension problems!!!