C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

axle fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 01:43 AM
sfields1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle fluid change

hi,
i have a 92 lt1 zo7 and i'm soon gonna be changing the rear axle fluid, i have a bottle of ford friction modifier that's used to put in limited slip ford axles in my toolbox at home, does anyone know if that will work for my vette or do i need to get the gm stuff? :flag
Old 03-31-2003, 08:15 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: axle fluid change (sfields1)

I use one bottle of GM stuff with Mobil1 75W-90 gear lube (GL5 rated as per the factory specs). Not sure how the Ford stuff works in a GM posi. When you see the amount of work to empty the diff, you'll want to be sure everything is right. If it was me, I'd just purchase some GM stuff for ~$5.00.

Eric
Old 03-31-2003, 09:49 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: axle fluid change (sfields1)

I bought the GM stuff (including the GM additive). Real pain to use a handheld suction pump to remove the old fluid and pump the new fluid back in through the side mounted fill hole.

The 'correct' way to change the diff fluid is to pull the back of the differential housing off so you can scrape out the sludge, shavings, etc in the bottom of the the differential case. I believe you would have to drop your exhaust system to do that.

I should also add, some people here think those handheld suction pumps(Autozone $10) are great. in my opinion they are PQ$. Especially with thick fluids like diff. oil.
My handheld pump introduced millions of tiny air bubbles into the new diff fluid that I pumped into the case. I was a little concerned because it appeared frothy when I filled it up and it started to drain out. But after driving it a 100 miles, I unscrewed the diff plug and noticed the bubbles were gone.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To axle fluid change

Quick Reply: axle fluid change