C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:46 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!!

My car wouldn't start and I took it to the pontiac dealer and they told me that the Pass Key control module went bad or there is a short in the wires somewhere. I don't want to pay them to rip apart the dash to replace this module. Does someone have a wiring diagram to help??? I want to bypass this module to get the car to start so I can get it home and fix it myself. Is there some way to do this?? PLEASE HELP!!! any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated... :cry :cry :cry
Old 03-11-2003, 12:52 PM
92LT1Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!! (mn_vette)

I can't tell you how to bypass it. But it normally does'nt go out 100%. What i am saying is, if you attempt to start the car (10-20) times it should start, at that point you can drive it home. I am not recommending that since I do not know the long term fix. Let me do some seaching I will respond back later. I think that the control Module sits behind the radio but I am not sure???

This thread is all I found on this forum

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=140083

Could be the Starter, Vats, read the article. One guy replaced the module you may want to IM him

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=510906

[Modified by 92LT1Roadster, 12:22 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 02:20 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!! (92LT1Roadster)

I talked to the Service guy and he said that there was no way to bypass it :mad ...then I talked to the mechanic and he said that all I had to do was ground out the black wire with the yellow trace and the car would start :D needless to say that I was a little pissed at the service guy, but I can drive my car home YEAH!!! I feel confetti raining from the sky....oh wait that's me throwing my $100 service bill in the air. But that's ok, they guy diagnosed the problem, and came up with an easy, short term solution. That's worth $100.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

Are you talking about the PASSIVE KEYLESS CONTROL MODULE ???

If yes, it is located on "top left side of I/P" I/P ??? Instrument panel I assume.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:26 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!! (jimswhite92)

no, I'm talking about the anti-theft control module that reads the key resistor value.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

I'm looking at the wiring diagram. Cannot locate the module you are describing.

If I'm reading this right, the key resistor is read in the ignition lock clyinder by the CCM. If OK, the CCM powers one half of the Starter enable relay coil located below the left side of dash left of the steering column. The other half is powered by the ignition switch being turned to start and the transmission position switch closed. Voltage with these two circuits will allow power to go to the starter solenoid and turn the starter motor.

Maybe this helps.

Jim
Old 03-12-2003, 06:32 PM
86Moon
Drifting

mn_vette,
Did you get your car home? If it's the VATS (vehicle anti theft system), I can help you with a temporary or permenant fix. Just went through this myself. Car was down for a week while I researched it and solved the problem with great help from folks on another forum. Cost me less than $3, and about an hour and a half to do the job right. Very simple. You got a Radio Shack near you? You can PM me if you like, or I'll keep an eye on this post, and get the info up where everyone can take a look. Let me know, I know the feeling of having the car down. Fortunately for me mine croaked in my garage :yesnod:

The key reader is in the ignition switch. The whole system can easily be bypassed, but not the way the mechanic told you :nono:

[Modified by 86Moon, 6:34 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 02:01 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!! (86Moon)

IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT BUT IT WORKS!!!! After paying $65 for a tow, $90 for the dealer to tell me what's wrong and the part is back ordered until the end of April, $140 for the used part and overnight shipping, $11.99 for an assortment of resistors from Radio Shack I finally got the car running!!!. And since I had to buy a used CCM my milage went from 84,000 to 45,000(wasn't hard to do which makes you wonder about somethings). I almost did the Happy Dance until I looked at the dashboard that I still have to put back togther. But I'm pumped, it's a beautiful day and hopefully I'll be cruising around later tonight YEAH FOR ME!!! :D :hurray: :D :hurray: :D
Old 03-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Bodhi
Pro

I would seriously ask some of the guys on this forum what to do about your odometer rollback. It sounds great until it bites you on the butt later if you ever sell the car or trade it in. Everybody runs a Carfax now and when they run your car and see the mileage discrepancy you might not only lose a sale but if you traded it in to a dealer you could be looking at fraud charges.

When my CCM went I had the dealership install a new one and certify the mileage.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:28 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!! (Bodhi)

After all the mods I've done to this car, I'm going to be haning on to it for a very long time. All I would have to do is disclaim it. But I'm probably going to keep this car until the frame rust or I wrap it around a tree. I basically don't want to pay a dealer $100 to put the correct milage back in the car, they've stuck it too me way to many times for other things.

[Modified by mn_vette, 9:29 PM 3/27/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO AND OPINIONS!!!