C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Digital Dash is tickin me off

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Dash is tickin me off

Its so freaggin dim that at night I cant even see it, I checked all the fuses and they are fine, none of them are blown out. What the heck is the problem? What could it be? Would it be easily fixed? :confused:
Old 03-26-2003, 03:30 AM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Digital Dash is tickin me off (Light84vette)

Its so freaggin dim that at night I cant even see it, I checked all the fuses and they are fine, none of them are blown out. What the heck is the problem? What could it be? Would it be easily fixed? :confused:
My dash had this problem a number of years ago. I had dim spots, got quoted for $1000 to repair it. Instead we pulled the unit out and looked inside. They use a slightly wierd set of bulbs to light the LCD. Couldn't find the exact P/N or type but was able to find bulbs almost the same. Instead of $1000 it ended up being about $10 for the bulbs. I wish I could find them (they are somewhere in my mess I know it) then I could tell you which ones to get. I know if you search on the 'net for info on the topic I have found pages that actually detail the process.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 AM
smittyvette57
Intermediate

The bulbs are halogen 882's I found them at Napa for about $8. Replace them all if this is your problem. Maybe the light sensor gone bad in the unit too. Try the bulbs first, good luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Digital Dash is tickin me off (smittyvette57)

Bulbs may be bad, light sensor may be bad, or you may have to resolder the connections on the circuit board.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:57 AM
The Gooch
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Digital Dash is tickin me off (vader86)

Bulbs may be bad, light sensor may be bad, or you may have to resolder the connections on the circuit board.
:iagree:
Old 03-26-2003, 11:55 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it tough to see in the daylight too?

1. Tilt your steering wheel down all the way and unscrew the tilt lever.
2. Pop off the headlight switch ****.
3. Take the screws out of the black bezel in front of the cluster. There are 3 or 4 screws on the side of it by the door too.
4. Carefully take the bezel off.
5. Turn your key to 'on' and you should see a bulb light up behind each of the 4 small aluminum covers that are on the face of the cluster. If they don't light up they need to be replaced.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

I could see it during the day time, but it is dim. And then when I turn on my lights, the switches that are underneath the 2 of thr 4 air vents. Those light up real good, but the guage cluster just doesnt. I'll try to take off the cover plate and turn the key and see if they light up. I'm pretty much sure they dont but,

Where exactly do I put in the new bulbs? Do I have to take out each cover like the speedo, rpm tach, and the fuel guage and oil pressure etc.? :confused:
Old 03-26-2003, 07:01 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: (Light84vette)

You can open up the dash once you have it removed. There are a few small screws that hold the cover on it.

I gave up on my digital dash after doing a repair this month, something else breaks next month, etc, etc. I went out, spent ~$500, and wired in a set of Autometer electronic gauges. I'm using a 10k RPM tach (overkill now, but hopefully not for too much longer), a 200 mph speedo, fuel, coolant temp, oil pressure, and voltage. I plan on replacing the multifunction switch panel under the vents with oil temp and something else one of these days. The nice thing about the speedo is you can recalibrate it any time you want, as long as you have a measured 2-mile stretch of road.

Good luck with the dash,
Old 03-26-2003, 07:38 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Where exactly do I put in the new bulbs?
When you get the bezel off you'll see 4 little aluminum shields. The bulbs are behind those. You have two choices.

1. You can pull those shields off, and pull the bulb out of its socket and replace it.

2. You can remove the cluster (4 more screws and two wire harness plugs) and take it apart. There are something like 32 screws that are I think 7/32" you have to remove. If you choose this one you can replace the whole light socket instead of just the bulb, but you must be gentle with the electronics.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

Where exactly do I put in the new bulbs?

When you get the bezel off you'll see 4 little aluminum shields. The bulbs are behind those. You have two choices.

1. You can pull those shields off, and pull the bulb out of its socket and replace it.

2. You can remove the cluster (4 more screws and two wire harness plugs) and take it apart. There are something like 32 screws that are I think 7/32" you have to remove. If you choose this one you can replace the whole light socket instead of just the bulb, but you must be gentle with the electronics.
:lolg: So does that mean no sludge hammer on this one? :lol: Anyway I once found a site of a guy who changed the whole dash to needle pointer guages. Anyway it looked really cool, But I downloaded a Dyno video of a 87 Corvette that should the guages in action, and man does it look cool. I hope that mine would comeout just the same :yesnod:
Old 03-27-2003, 12:21 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:lolg: So does that mean no sludge hammer on this one? :lol: Anyway I once found a site of a guy who changed the whole dash to needle pointer guages. Anyway it looked really cool, But I downloaded a Dyno video of a 87 Corvette that should the guages in action, and man does it look cool. I hope that mine would comeout just the same :yesnod:
Light84, that's exactly what I have done...a set of Autometer analogs. If I actually go back through and replace my (poorly) homemade dash panel, I'll post pics for you...the panel is the same satin black finish as the rest of the high quality GM plastic in the dash, and the gauges are silver-faced Autometers with a silver bezel ring and orange indicator.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:51 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (CorvetteZ51Racer)

Yeah now that I think of it, I could actually put in a boosy guage also. And I dont really need to know what kind of MPG I'm getting anyway. I'll just try to fix it and replace the bulbs for now, If I still dont like it the way it was supposed to be when stock. I'll post another topic or something and let you know that I have decided to change it and go analogs :yesnod:
Old 03-27-2003, 08:04 AM
DaveD
Instructor

I have the same problem except intermittent (good for a few days, bad for a few days) seems it may also be weather related (corrosion?). Reading on this forum I think I have run across people saying it can also be bad contacts at the bulb location and or whever the circuit board plugs in. Also remember something about bad ground wire solder connections on the back of the circuit board. Doing some searches might find the posts. I'm thinking of making a 'street rod' out of my 89 so i don't care about the dash problems right now (or the last 9 months they have been happening). :)
Old 03-27-2003, 09:22 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Keep in mind if you remove the digital dash you lose cruise control as the computer circuits for it are contained inside of it.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:43 PM
steve123
Instructor

I'm having a similar problem. I had my cluster out for repair about a two months ago but never checked it out putting the headlights on. For some reason, when I put my headlight on my dash goes really dim. May be the photo electric circuit or sensor. Anyway, back she goes tomorrow morning. I'll post what the problem was when I get the car back, hopefully next week.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:46 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

May be the photo electric circuit or sensor.
Sounds like it.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

I'm going to have to check it out tommorow, I have got no time to do it today, So I'll find out whats what tommorow :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Digital Dash is tickin me off

Quick Reply: Digital Dash is tickin me off