C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

They built me a lemon 700R4

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:33 PM
NHVett
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor

A few months ago I bought a Mini-Raptor 700R4 w/2600 stall converter from Transmissioncenter.com. Within a week of putting it in properly adjusted, etc. I started experiencing some shuddering and noises going into 3rd. within a few days it was really slipping going into 3rd and finally I lost 3rd and 4th. All of this time I was driving conservatively. No burnouts, dragging etc. I called them up and worked a deal where they would take the tranny back and fix whatever was wrong. At the same time I paid for an upgrade to a full Raptor while they had the transmission. So I shipped the tranny back to Louisiana from NH $200 each way. After about a month I get the same tranny back and reinstalled it. Within a couple of months, it was doing the same thing. This time I decided to become a beginner 700R4 mechanic, ordered a seal set, 700R4 rebuild manual and 3rd clutch set. Up went the car on stands again for the winter. During Christmas I pulled the tranny apart and had some fun rebuilding it and putting a Transgo kit in. Here are the troubling things I found out about this transmission. THe serial number of the tranny indicated a build date of 1987. OK it is in the "good years" age group. The valve body separator plate had two check ball holes so badly "peened" that the check ***** were ready to bust right through the plate. Thanks to "The Man Jeff" I got a new plate. The 3rd accumulator bore was full of chatter marks where the piston was actually spalling slivers of aluminum from the cylinder bore. I cleaned this up with a wheel cylinder hone and am hoping for the best. The 3rd clutch plates were badly deteriorated and got replaced. The tranny is back in and the car is still up on blocks waiting out the remnents of our winter wonderland and I am crossing my fingers that this time it will perform satisfactorily.

Here is the gist of my long story: This transmission must have been in a very high mileage car when it was acquired by Transmissioncenter. They (the builders) did not thoroughly inspect the core for defects before turning it into one of their "high performance transmissions". Yes, I have an add on tranny cooler rated @ 24,000 gvw.

Since I seem to be seeing lots of mentions of Raptor transmissions on the Forum lately I caution everyone to proceed cautiously when buying these products. I have heard that they build a very good 700R4. I did not get one of those. I will never buy such products so far away again. If I lived within a 200 mile radius of Bossier, LA the hassle would have been less I'm sure.

[Modified by NHVett, 7:59 PM 3/12/2003]

[Modified by NHVett, 8:00 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (NHVett)

Thanks for sharing the story.

Some advice for forum members, I would not buy a Tranny through mail order. Also, remember that all 700R4's will be rebuilt unit, there are no new units available.

Look for a local Tranny guy that knows what he is doing.

Vic
Old 03-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (Vic'89)

Problem with going local at least in PA is it would cost me $1800 to get a 700r4 built to factory specs and would be under warenty for 6 monthes and most likely only last a year at best. I can mail order one from say Bowtie Overdrive and get a "performance tranny" with a 2200 stall converter for $1600 and the one year warenty dosn't start untill you install it. So for me at least mail order is the only way to go. Even including shipping costs it is much cheaper.

[Modified by Phobos84, 1:37 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 06:57 AM
HWoods
Drifting

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (Phobos84)

Aren''t the "Level Ten" guys up your way, and also Paul Rossi. I understand he builds a mean transmission. Think he builds for the Lingenfelter shop

[Modified by HWoods, 5:58 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (HWoods)

Never heard of Level Ten before. I just looked at there site. They are in Jersy wich is still too far for me to drive. That and they are too pricy
Old 03-13-2003, 10:11 AM
inmy84vette
Advanced

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (Phobos84)

the saying YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR comes to mind :flag
Old 03-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (inmy84vette)

I feel for you. :cry This kind of business hurts us all. Thanks for the heads up on this company :yesnod:
Automatics scare the heck out of me, but then a German 6 speed is no walk in the park. If it were me, I'd buy the best product from the most reputable out fit put it in and be done with it. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Strick
Old 03-13-2003, 01:51 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (inmy84vette)

inmy84Vette.....
The Raptor transmission from The Transmission Center is not a "cheap" transmission.
I paid them MORE for their Raptor than I would have paid for brand new GM 700R4.
I did it because it is touted as "much better", much stronger" than the GM 700R4.
So who wants to pay a premium for anything in any case? You?

With that out of the way here's the scoop on MY Raptor 700R4.

I ordered a 700R4 for a 1991 Corvette.
Had a friend in the trucking business pick it up and bring it to me.
Had the transmission installed.
To begin with, it would shift 1-2-3-4 and then lockup the torque converter all before the car was going 30MPH.
I called them about it. They told me to adjust the TC cable. I did. No change.
I called again. They told me to change the governor springs and weights.
I didn't. Kept driving it and the shifting gradually got better. It got where it would do the 1-2-3-4 and lock the converter by the time it got to 35mph.
TCC lockup would occur as SOON as it hiy 4th gear. So, the Vette couldn't acellerate or drive like it was supposed to at all.
I got down my service manual and started learing all there is to know about TCC lockup.
It's SUPPOSED to be controlled by the ECM. Except in the case of overheat, it has a temperature switch in the transmission to activate TCC lockup in 4th gear.
So... I changed the ECM thinking it must not be controlling the TCC.
Changed it twice.....no help.
Ordered a new MemCal from J.Kopp and changed that..... no help.
Checked ALL the wiring from the ECM to the transmission electrical plug... three times. All checked ok....
Bought one of those TCC lockup delay gadgets for 50 bucks.
NOW the TCC didn't activate at all....
Checked the brake interupt switch and wiring......
Burned a PROM for it myself... still didn't work right.
By now a year and a few months have went by.........
I decided to open the Raptor up and inspect the guts.....
I pulled the pan,..... there was a wire laying in the bottom of the pan. A brown wire... that seemed to come from nowhere. there was no place for it.
There was only ONE wire coming in on the electrical connector.
NOT the three like the manual called for.

The over temperature switch was not installed at ALL.
The wrong 4th gear switch was installed and the transmission was wired so the soon as 4th gear switch closed it would lock the converter.
NOT CORRECT AT ALL!!!!!

I ordered a new TCC solenoid, wiring harness for the INSIDE of the tranny, 4th gear pressure switch,over temp switch and a case electrical connector.
Wired the $%$^Dmn thing like it was supposed to be.
NOW it works as advertised.....
I just fixed this last week.... car drives MUCH better now... the ECM is controlling the TCC as it's supposed to.

I spent around $400-$450 trying to get this thing to work right.

They KNEW what car it was going in when I ordered it.

The Raptor price plus this would have bought me about one and one half brand new transmissions.

All I can saw about Transmission Center and the Raptor is CAVEAT EMPTOR..........I'll never do business with them again.

I guess it's called the "Raptor" because it'll eat your butt before you're through with it.
Don't let the flashy web site fool you...........

Take my advice.... buy a new one from GM and take the bux you'll have left over and buy a nice mod for your Vette.

Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 PM
NHVett
Pro

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (VetNutJim)

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
guess it's called the "Raptor" because it'll eat your butt before you're through with it.
:hurray:
Old 03-13-2003, 02:16 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (VetNutJim)

or go to Walnut Creek Transmission's in Walnut Creek, CA. I've seen a 700R4 they built for a guy with a Shinoda ZR1 (yes, he switched it from ZF6, over to a 700R4.) In talking to that guy, he said he's tried every tranny that's available and labeled as "high performance"...Art Carr, Level 10, you name, he's tried it. He's blown them ALL..then he said he went to WCT on a tip from a friend, and the tranny hasn't flinched even ONCE!
BTW: This guy's running a 385cid LPE motor with a 200hp Direct Port Nitrous Kit. He's got a 5000rpm :eek: stall converter in the tranny, along with the factory (untouched) D44 with 3.45 gears...On the switch, he runs mid 10's with a 1.4x 60'. (My tranny will be built at WCT when I get the money, how ever much it costs!!)
Old 03-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Default Re: They built me a lemon 700R4 Raptor (NHVett)

Problem is GM doesn't make 700r4s any more. so you have to get a rebuilt one.

Get notified of new replies

To They built me a lemon 700R4

Quick Reply: They built me a lemon 700R4