C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 08:42 AM
bhamvett
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought and been pleased with a product I bought from breathless.
That being said the ram air unit does seem to have ALOT of problems and the
quality seems to be less than ideal.
bhamvett
Old 03-14-2003, 10:56 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine

Gee Ernie Breathless sounds kind of two faced on this one and I'm getting kind of pissed especially at you!

You guys advertise on the Forum. I believe I have always given you a fair shake if you check my past history. I even backed the fix that is now giving me problems.

Seems to me you could just come through for me.

You sure didn't have a problem two years ago when I defended you guys (remember Panuzo kept on challenging you to give him your product to test for free then he'd buy it if it proved-out....I bought one!!!!) and you got free adverstising on the Forum for the Vortec. I even posted pictures of what I recieved and the step by step installation I did.

I'm really surpised at your response.

I won't just call.

Period.

I think we all deserve more than that.

Signed..... a Long Time Corvette Forum Member and Breathless Customer. :grouphug:

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 10:59 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 08:28 AM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine (95BLKVette)

No reply ?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:54 AM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine (95BLKVette)

I'll called Breathless today and they said to call back Monday when Customer Service is in and they'll see what they can work out :)

I will post the outcome :skep:
Old 03-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Desertcoupe96
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally read the tech articles here for any tips on keeping my car running....but this thread is nonsense!!!! If you have a problem with the product you purchased try using the phone to call them. What exactly is your purpose of posting every email you send them here on the forum. I think we got your point...quit bashing them and deal with it.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAIIZR-1 (09-18-2023)
Old 03-16-2003, 03:11 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine

I normally read the tech articles here for any tips on keeping my car running....but this thread is nonsense!!!! If you have a problem with the product you purchased try using the phone to call them. What exactly is your purpose of posting every email you send them here on the forum. I think we got your point...quit bashing them and deal with it.
Remeber what you posted here, when YOU have a problem!!! :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
Old 03-16-2003, 03:46 AM
Desertcoupe96
Intermediate

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine (KLLRVET)

Yes, I will remember. This thread has nothing to do with anything technical. It's turned into a personal problem between him and the vendor. Please let me know where the technical value in vendor bashing is. Warning people about a faulty product is okay with me...when it turns into a peeing contest it's time for the moderator to ditch the issue.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Black96Corvette
Instructor

I say you guys fight man, why not? Then it will be TECHNICAL! If he wants to compain about the vendor because he got screwed on a expensive product then let him. :cheers: to you bro!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:15 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine (PurpleC4)

I remember this issue from a few years ago..thats why I didn't get one for the Blue Monster :nonod:
Old 03-16-2003, 06:41 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Re: Warning ! Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec

One of the reasons I'm a member of this Forum is to get clued-in on the vendors that give exceptional service, i.e. what products to buy. If someone is having problems with a product or supplier, I (for one) would like to know about it. Those of you who are tired of the thread can choose not to open it.

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 03-16-2003, 08:17 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Default Re: Warning ! Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec (rocco16)

:iagree: Useless post?? I don't think so sonny!

If you have no further interest in the post (Junior Member :rofl: ) dont' bother to keep reading it!

If Breathless or any other vendor advertises a product on this Forum, they must be able to properly service it too. This Forum gives them a very focused Market for their products since they are advertising to a very specific clientel. That's what the Forum is all about.....exchange of information, ideas and performance products, and product evaluations for Corvettes

I hope "you" never have a problem like this one :sad:

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 8:22 PM 3/16/2003]

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 8:24 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 09:45 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Re: Warning ! Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec (95BLKVette)

:iagree: If there is a problem with one of the venders products, I want to know about it. I also want to know how the vendor handles the problem.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:33 AM
Alex D
Drifting

I don't think this thread is nonsense.....everyone is getting enough of their share of BOHICA these days. Besides, this would have been really easy for Breathless to fix.......when you have a problem with a customer, act on it NOW and satisfy him. I know what I am talking about since I lead our companies customer service group for the US business. We deal with these issues every day.
With a part like this it is even easier, just send the updated one or refund. If I were Breathless, I would do that since this thread has probably cost them already more money in lost sales than giving the guy five free ram airs........and it is not only the part that may be faulty here, it is the buying experience. Even Breatless' post here make me suspicious especially when you sell to sucha a close nit customer base as the Corvette owners. There is absolutely no reason for being defensive. Better to fess up when you screw up and fix it......it is really that simple......especially with simple parts like these............ :yesnod:

[Modified by Alex D, 11:36 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-17-2003, 12:46 AM
SHiNoBi LT4
Instructor

Default Re: (Alex D)

How do i know if mine is faulty??? i ordered it from a local speed shoppe. anything to look out for???????? thanxx guys. :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 07:31 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Default Re: (SHiNoBi LT4)

Look closely at the photos I posted above. Note the bend in the Breathless molded plastic intake duct. This occurs over time under the SS duct band at the screw location on the passenger side of the car. Probably the plastic creeps under engine compartment heat and the constant band pressure especially at the screw fitting where the transition between the band and screw fitting causes a slight bump in the duct. The fiberglass reinforcement band that breathless sent out to fix these was a good idea, but over time even that flexes and distorts under these harsh conditions. When that happens a leak area occurs allowing dirty unfiltered air into you engine. Over time this can literally destroy your rings and cylinder walls....question is how much and for how long...you guess is as good as mine.

Since the cause is the OEM SS clamping band I wonder why Breathless didn't come up with a different band? I've seen a ratchet type band that performs the same function but doesn't have a pressure point like the SS hose clamp at the screw adjustment.

The only reason the stock GM duct doesn't bend like the Breathless one does is it's made out of a much thicker 3/16" or so one-piece injection molded plastic, whereas the Breathless piece appears to be made of a two piece 3/32" vacuum-formed plastic. This type of plastic has a much lower melting temparature to allow for workability during the vacuum-forming process and destorts more easily under high heat ( like just over the radiator shroud??).

Hope this answers your question.
:seeya

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 10:35 PM 3/17/2003]
Old 03-18-2003, 10:31 AM
0BreathlessPerformance.com
Former Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: (95BLKVette)

I informed customer service about you going to call on Monday. They told me that as of today you have still not called. I suggest that if you want to resolve this issue you need to call them. We always stand behind our products like when we exchanged the bridges last year. Complaining on the forum never helps, the only way to resolve issues are to contact the company directly to explain your situation. Sorry for not going on the forum as often as you would like but we do suggest that it would be easier to contact us directly with any further issues.

Thank you, Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com
954-925-7725
Old 03-18-2003, 06:15 PM
ODA CDR
Racer

Default Re: (BreathlessPerformance.com)

"Complaining on the forum never helps, the only way to resolve issues are to contact the company directly to explain your situation."

I disagree. Thanks to this post I saved some money and what appears to be a headache.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine

Old 03-18-2003, 06:23 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

Default Re: (BreathlessPerformance.com)

I talked to Ernie on Monday about this exact issue (although I did not call because of all the talk in this thread) and he was pretty helpful. My car had the vortec on it when I bought it, so i wanted to pick his brain about the fix for the problem and he was cool about it.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:49 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Default Re: (LT-4 CE)

I spoke to their customer service lady Lucy today (Tuesday), she was very nice, in fact she couldn't believe I was one of the original purchasers of the vortec when it first came out in Thanksgiving of 2000. She said Cathy was no longer with them....she was the first lady who helped me years ago.....she was very nice also. Anyway, I told her what Ernie had said about doing something for me and she said she would discuss it with him. They have all my information. In addition, I forwarded the email I posted in this thread to her also so she would see Ernie's email response to my problem.

Time will tell. :auto:

BTW LT-4 CE, please interpret, what does "He was cool about it" actually mean?

...I must be gettin old :leaving:

[Modified by 95BLKVette, 1:24 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 01:44 PM
0BreathlessPerformance.com
Former Vendor

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: (95BLKVette)

I informed customer service about you going to call on Monday. They told me that as of today you have still not called. I suggest that if you want to resolve this issue you need to call them. We always stand behind our products like when we exchanged the bridges last year. Complaining on the forum never helps, the only way to resolve issues are to contact the company directly to explain your situation. Sorry for not going on the forum as often as you would like but we do suggest that it would be easier to contact us directly with any further issues.

Thank you, Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com
954-925-7725

Quick Reply: Warning ! The Breathless Performance Ram Air Vortec May Allow Dirt Into Your Engine