C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does the MN6 have a Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Does the MN6 have a Neutral Safety Switch?

I know alomst all modern autos have a neutral safety switch to keep the car from being started in gear.

Most modern standard tranny cars have a switch on the clutch to ensure the clutch is depressed when starting the car. What is that switch called and where is it located?

I was out to breakfast today, came out and tried to start the car. Nothing... no click, no buzz... nothing. Plenty of pwer, the headlights, brights, stereo, windows etc all worked just fine.

Figuring I would have to get it towed, and seeing that there was no way a truck as going to hook up where I was parked, I got the wife behind the wheel and was pushing it out into the clear. She let go of the clutch, the car lurched to a halt. No harm, no foul. Finished pushing it and we called the tow company. Meanwhile... I am fuming.

Just for S&G I told her (she was still in the driver's seat, to depress the clutch and try and start it.... it started right up. WTF?

ANy clues? Is it the neutral safety switch of its equivilent in an MN6? The only time I have seen one go bad, it was an intermittant problem for a couple of weeks.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:27 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does the MN6 have a Neutral Safety Switch? (Preacher)

My '94 won't crank unless the clutch is depressed - must be some kind of swtch in there.

good luck with it.

Steve
Old 03-09-2003, 02:32 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes there is a switch on the clutch that disables the starter circuit unless the clutch is depressed.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: (scorp508)

Yes there is a switch on the clutch that disables the starter circuit unless the clutch is depressed.
Ok... but where is it? Onthe pedal assy? On the tranny?

The Chilton's I have shows the NSS on the shifter for the auto but doesn't say anything about the clutch switch. Perhpas if I knew the techincal name for it.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:57 PM
buddy11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Preacher)

its on the pedal. also there is a switch for the cruise down there so when you put the pedal in the car wont rev... i've hook the nos to the cruise so when i push the clutch in it will shut off. make sure you have the right one...
Old 03-09-2003, 08:16 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (buddy11)

As mentioned, the clutch safety switch is on the pedal. If you try to start the car without the clutch down, the "BRAKE PRESSURE" switch will light up (even on a manual). If it's a VATS problem, the "SECURITY" light will flash. Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Preacher
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: (JasonL)

As mentioned, the clutch safety switch is on the pedal. If you try to start the car without the clutch down, the "BRAKE PRESSURE" switch will light up (even on a manual). If it's a VATS problem, the "SECURITY" light will flash. Hope that helps.
Good info, Thanks! :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 12:08 PM
89CONV
Instructor

There is a set of wires running from the clutch arm, to a little connector. Just cut the wires and tape them up...very easy. The car will now start without the clutch being pressed and it sets off no codes or lights. Be careful, and remeber to push in the clutch or have it in neutral whenever you start it.
:cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 06:33 PM
CNTDRV55
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (JasonL)

If it's a VATS problem, the "SECURITY" light will flash. Hope that helps.
I had the same prob when I first got my MN6 and after calling the tow truck, I tried it again (nothing else to do) and it started up!!! It was my VATS....IF it happens again, wait 10 mins and try again.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:49 PM
88-406
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

I've had to replace that switch in my 88 because it developed a flat spot. It's way up under the dash and is a MF :cuss to replace. If I ever have to do it again I'll replace it with a jumper.

KM

Get notified of new replies

To Does the MN6 have a Neutral Safety Switch?

Quick Reply: Does the MN6 have a Neutral Safety Switch?