C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing a turn signal stick???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:40 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Changing a turn signal stick???

Does anyone know what I have to do to remove my turn signal stick on my steering column??? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to pull the plastic covering off to change it. Yes I broke it somehow and now the right turn signal won't click. I can feel something physical broke inside the mechanism. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:17 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (mn_vette)

Sounds like the ring that goes around the steering wheel broke.

I hate to tell you, but you are going to have topull the steering wheel to get to it.

I don't know the procedure for your year with an Air bag, but once you get that disconnected it is not that bad.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:17 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (-=Jeff=-)

I've pulled the airbag before, that's not that big of a deal, is there any special tools I need to pull the steering wheel off??? I have a feeling this is going to be a pain :mad
Old 02-21-2003, 02:12 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (mn_vette)

just a steering wheel puller.. otherwise it is not bad
Old 02-21-2003, 02:19 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, a retaining ring tool, it's about $5-$15 at any auto parts store. You MAY be able to compress the spring with c-clamps etc., but don't bother, you will make your life miserable.

Most likely the "ear" molded into your "pulse and pivot assembly" is broken off, this is what's causing your problem. Somewhere b/w $100 and $200 for the part.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:40 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (Vince Ivanc)

Also, a retaining ring tool, it's about $5-$15 at any auto parts store. You MAY be able to compress the spring with c-clamps etc., but don't bother, you will make your life miserable.

Most likely the "ear" molded into your "pulse and pivot assembly" is broken off, this is what's causing your problem. Somewhere b/w $100 and $200 for the part.
I have installed the Spring and retainer by pushing with my fingers.. I don't suggest that though, leaves and impression for a while.. LOL

Also I *MAY* have a turn signal ring assembly in good shape if interested, I will need to look for it though

Old 02-22-2003, 03:13 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor

I just did this fix on my '92, believe me it's a real PITA. . . . . If I had it to do over again, I'd pay the shop the $250-$300 to do it. Me and another experienced vette wrencher worked most of two days on it. But to answer your post, the plastic housing behind the "stick" just pops off, then the stick pulls out, no hardware. What year are you working on?

[Modified by edsalinas, 1:15 PM 2/22/2003]

[Modified by edsalinas, 1:17 PM 2/22/2003]
Old 02-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (edsalinas)

Trouble is, if the turn signal switch won't stay clicked in place, it's the whole darn switch mechanism behind the steering wheel, airbag coil, lock plate, etc.

After you pop off the column cover and disconnect the cruise control connector, the actual stick just pulls right out of the column, POP!. But the switch mechanism is a collar that wraps around the shaft, with a huge cable bundle that runs through the column down to another connector bank.

To replace the turn signal switch you pretty much have to at least pull the wheel and coil, and drop the steering column.

I'm replacing my column right now. Took this picture this morning.

[Modified by Matt Black, 2:19 PM 2/22/2003]
Old 02-22-2003, 04:07 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (Matt Black)

Yeapppppppppp , , , , , , , watch out for that round snap ring that you have to depress the lock ring to get at ! ! ! ! :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 02-22-2003, 04:10 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yikes..... :eek: Took 15 minutes to change the one in my 89'.... I guess thats one + for the old Atari cars. :D
Old 02-22-2003, 04:15 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (RX7 KLR)

Man, I wont do it again, and I do alot of work myself. We spent the better part of two hours just threading the new harness down thru the column, it kept hanging up on different crap . . . . . .
:reddevil :cuss :reddevil :cuss :reddevil :cuss :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Old 02-23-2003, 11:58 AM
BLU_VT
Heel & Toe

It happened to me too, on my 93. if you look through the little gap where the turn signal switch goes into the column you can see the little plastic ear that makes the signals click. Mine was broken. i used needle nose pliers and through that hole i super glued it back on. I waited 5 days before i drove it and it works fine, but im careful not too press too hard.. either way im replacing it as im typing. I sent it to get rebuilt. :cheers:
Old 02-25-2003, 07:56 PM
SmokinVette
8th Gear

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (BLU_VT)

This happened to me on my 92, the stick was just flopping back and forth when I tried to put the brights on. I pulled the wheel to get to it and never could fix it. Finally took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Cost me $300 for 25 cent part :mad Anyway, the problem was way further down in the column and not in the signal itself.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:13 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Changing a turn signal stick??? (RX7 KLR)

Yikes..... :eek: Took 15 minutes to change the one in my 89'.... I guess thats one + for the old Atari cars. :D
Atari cars... :lolg: I've never heard them referred to as that, now that's funny! :lolg: :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To Changing a turn signal stick???

Quick Reply: Changing a turn signal stick???