C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

cast steel vs forged

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 11:29 PM
85vettelovin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cast steel vs forged

What exactly would be the benifit of a forged crank over a cast steel crank? I know thats kind of a vauge question, sorry.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:33 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (85vettelovin)

strength and ease of assembly. forged cranks generally have tighter quality control. the polishing is better & the quality is higher. scats 9000 cast steel crank is actually really good for a $200 crank. i was able to get 2-3 thousands for main clearances on all 5. it took a little work but the finish product was great. unless your going over 7000rpms for extended periods or making over 600hp the cast steel will work fine.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Forged can handle more power, its very strong in comparison to cast or hyper pistons. Also pretty light.

Only problem is that its twice the price in some cases.

It really depends on what youre going with on the motor whether you really NEED to have forged internals.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:46 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (vader86)

RUle of thumb I believe is :

NA power 4-500HP, cast 'should' last no problem.

Power Adder 4-500HP, cast will not last long.. (NOS/Super/Turbo)

Forged parts are, just as the name implies, harder treated metals.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 PM
85vettelovin
Instructor

how much stress is actually put on the crank while running nitrous? I know that running nitrous forged pistions are a great idea but what effect does nitrous have on the crank?

The reason I ask is because pretty soon here I am going to be building a street motor. I will be running 100 shot of nitrous on it but not alot. Only when i find my way down to the track. The motor should make between 430-450 hp. (not at the wheels) So forged pistions are a must but I am not sure between a scat 9000 series cast steel crank or going forged... I guess I just can't decide if the cost difference will be worth it, especially since nitrous will not be used very often..

[Modified by 85vettelovin, 9:54 PM 2/19/2003]

[Modified by 85vettelovin, 10:00 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

In my opinion, if you can pull it off, spend the money up front and do it right, once. It will save time and $$$ in the long run. Just my .02
Old 02-20-2003, 12:30 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (Rob 91Z07)

Castings are what they sound like. You take molten metal and pour it into a form and let it cool. Castings are more or less porous depending on the quality, and can have voids and cracks from the start.

Forging means taking a hot, plastic, malleable piece of stock, and placing it into a form, and then subjecting it to extreme pressure until it assumes the shape of the form. Little or no porosity, unidirectional grain, plastic stress and strain added to the structure, harder surface, etc.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:33 AM
CORKVETTE1
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (Rob 91Z07)

that cast crank will last behind that nos i had many motors on nos and they all had cast cranks except 1 and never had a problem they should be good to 700 hp. rpm is what kills those cranks not the nos but i would put in forged pistons tho cast and hyper will work but i wouldnt chance it and some quality rod bolts also couldnt hurt either :cheers:
Old 02-20-2003, 01:33 AM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (CORKVETTE1)

that cast crank will last behind that nos i had many motors on nos and they all had cast cranks except 1 and never had a problem they should be good to 700 hp. rpm is what kills those cranks not the nos but i would put in forged pistons tho cast and hyper will work but i wouldnt chance it and some quality rod bolts also couldnt hurt either :cheers:
this is somewhat of an odd post, this is also the only reply that makes much sense. maybe it's just late, :lol: , vader sounds like he's talking about pistons & no one else has really sited any real reasons to go forged. cranks in general can take a LOT more power than the rods, pistons and rings. talk to your engine builder about how much work he'll put into the crank. if he's willing to micopolish it & set the bearings up really tight the cast is fine. if he's sold on forged & prefers working with those by a large margin you might consider some of the 500-700 eagle/scat forged units.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:18 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (gtsyellow)

Part of the issue is how light you want to make your bottom end...if you want to save money and go cast, you're going to have a HEAVY bottom end. The only way you're going to get a lightweight crank or lightweight rods is to go forged. You'll have a hell of a time finding a cast crank that gets down under 53 or so lbs, whereas you can find 3.48" stroke forged cranks that will hold 900 HP and weigh 38 lbs (keep in mind we're talking about rotating mass here, not front end weight)...of course you could get a set of Fikse wheels for less than the cost of one of those cranks, but that's just an extreme to give you an idea of the differences.

Also, it's not just RPMs that hurt cranks, it's harmonics, which are a function of frequency (RPM) and amplitude (HP). The crank doesn't know that there's nitrous on the motor, it just knows the load that's transmitted to it through the rods.

Long and short, my opinion on the deal is that if you're going to build a motor that you plan on beating on, I'd put forged in it and be done (tighter quality control, stronger material, lighter cranks, stiffer cranks, easier to obtain necessary bearing clearances, etc, etc). If you're going to build a motor that's not going to be pounded, cast is fine as clearances aren't as critical, loads won't be as high, etc, etc.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (CorvetteZ51Racer)

There's no point in going forged unless your gonna make an engine that only see's race.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Keep in mind the tuning and assembly quality - a well built, well tuned cast motor will put up with more than a poorly tuned, poorly built forged motor.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:06 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (Aaron's 87)

It's a reliability question.
Cast = not so relaiable on a street racer as cast. Nothing to it.
Build what you can afford. If you can afford, get forged internals, as it won't hurt anything, but will outlast any cast parts down the line, that's for sure.
:auto:
Old 02-20-2003, 01:11 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (Darkness)

There's no point in going forged unless your gonna make an engine that only see's race.
I disagree 100%. Just because you're not exclusively racing the car doesn't mean the crank's not going to be under tremendous loads. Driving the car hard on the street over a period of time is just as hard on the motor. If you pound a motor on the street as opposed to baby it, you will severely shorten the life of the motor. Witness my '87 with 170k miles on it and a lot of auto-x use. It's primarily a street car/daily driver, but it gets pounded. This car has yet to have a motor live more than 60k miles in it using all of the stock cast stuff. I'm in the process right now of building engine #4 for the car (the first one for me to build for it....the others were from previous owners). Forged stuff is just simply stronger and stiffer than cast. Your motor will last longer if built with forged components. And it's always true that a well built motor will outlive a poorly built motor. It's easier, however, to get the clearances and tolerances that you want with forged parts. I'm not saying you can't get the clearances and tolerances you want with cast, it's just easier to do with forged.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:26 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (MrNuke)

Here is a real specific question, you mention power adders like a SC. If i put a SC on mine it looks like I'll be sitting around 430 ish at the RW. Are you saying that the internals will not last long under these conditions with normal driving, semi monthly quarter mile runs, and occasional getting all over it?
What do you or anyone else think? I'm curious cuz i'm moving in this direction

Kitt
Old 02-20-2003, 02:33 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (kittmaster)

Here is a real specific question, you mention power adders like a SC. If i put a SC on mine it looks like I'll be sitting around 430 ish at the RW. Are you saying that the internals will not last long under these conditions with normal driving, semi monthly quarter mile runs, and occasional getting all over it?
I honestly don't know where this distinction between "power adder HP and non-power adder HP" comes from....it's all crap.

THE CRANK AND RODS DON'T KNOW IF THE ENGINE'S FORCED INDUCTION OR NOT!!! THEY KNOW POWER!!!

Now, if you're looking at pistons, that's another story due to the heat that is transferred to the pistons from non-intercooled systems, but as long as there's enough oil on the wrist pins, the rods STILL won't know if there's a power adder or not (I've seen wrist pins with insufficient oiling blue the ends of some high $$$$ rods within 10 minutes on an engine dyno).

To anwer your question Kit, I'd be a little leary of trying to go for that much power on a stock cast crank if the motor will be abused. It's not that the crank will break and send pieces and parts flying out of the bottom of the motor or anything, you will just wear out the internals faster and need a rebuild sooner. To give you an idea of what I mean, my car which made 228 rwhp on it's last dyno pulls (two years ago) only got 60k miles out of the motor before it needed a rebuild (rings were toast, the main bearings were solid copper, and the crank was wobbling so badly from the excessive bearing clearance that I couldn't get a front seal or a 1-piece rear main to live for more than ~6 months before they needed replacement). You're talking about doubling that power (at the wheels) with the same internals. The motor just simply won't last that long. I'm a big proponent of the theory that if you want to build a sporty, strong motor then do it all the way. If you want a stock motor, build a stock motor. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my motor right now, and because I'm a broke (graduate student), I'm going back stock. I'm saving up money, however, to build a motor over the summer with a Cola superlight crank, Oliver rods, JE pistons, etc, etc. I KNOW my current motor won't last very long the way it's treated (run harder than you intend, but also at a lower power level), so I'm already planning for the motor that I will build that I know will last much longer.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

a cast crank will fair you well.
i'm looking around 500hp NA and 200+ shots of nitrous on a bolt main.
many engine builders havee told me scat 9000.
The scat 900 is more than enough, especially with nitrous-
you probobly wont be reving that high.
I know i'm going 65-6700rpms NA and 6200 with the bottle.
:party:

id get forged pistons and good rods, but you honestly have no need for a forged crank with a 100hp shot.
there is a rotating assembly GP for scat and callies i think on camaroz28.com
check it out :cool: :cheers:

good luck
just make sure its properly balanced and the clearances/tq specs are good more than anything

[Modified by TreyZ28, 3:59 PM 2/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To cast steel vs forged

Old 02-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (kittmaster)

Kitt
How much boost do you plan on running? On a bone stock LT1 bottom end, I wouldn't run more than 6, maybe 7lbs of boost. And on a bone stock LT1, 6-7lbs of boost won't put out 430RWHP.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:09 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: cast steel vs forged (Zix)

was thinkin 8 psi (seen it done everywhere) but if 6 is recommended. I have 3.45 gears and already at 340 plus now. Will know for sure this spring. Done cat back, headers, intake, TB, and other stuff. Want to get inside the engine soon for cam, lifter, and other goodies but that will be later it seems. Any comments/ideas?
Old 02-20-2003, 04:14 PM
TreyZ28
Melting Slicks

I honestly don't know where this distinction between "power adder HP and non-power adder HP" comes from....it's all crap.

THE CRANK AND RODS DON'T KNOW IF THE ENGINE'S FORCED INDUCTION OR NOT!!! THEY KNOW POWER!!!

Now, if you're looking at pistons, that's another story due to the heat that is transferred to the pistons from non-intercooled systems, but as long as there's enough oil on the wrist pins, the rods STILL won't know if there's a power adder or not (I've seen wrist pins with insufficient oiling blue the ends of some high $$$$ rods within 10 minutes on an engine dyno).

To anwer your question Kit, I'd be a little leary of trying to go for that much power on a stock cast crank if the motor will be abused. It's not that the crank will break and send pieces and parts flying out of the bottom of the motor or anything, you will just wear out the internals faster and need a rebuild sooner. To give you an idea of what I mean, my car which made 228 rwhp on it's last dyno pulls (two years ago) only got 60k miles out of the motor before it needed a rebuild (rings were toast, the main bearings were solid copper, and the crank was wobbling so badly from the excessive bearing clearance that I couldn't get a front seal or a 1-piece rear main to live for more than ~6 months before they needed replacement). You're talking about doubling that power (at the wheels) with the same internals. The motor just simply won't last that long. I'm a big proponent of the theory that if you want to build a sporty, strong motor then do it all the way. If you want a stock motor, build a stock motor. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my motor right now, and because I'm a broke (graduate student), I'm going back stock. I'm saving up money, however, to build a motor over the summer with a Cola superlight crank, Oliver rods, JE pistons, etc, etc. I KNOW my current motor won't last very long the way it's treated (run harder than you intend, but also at a lower power level), so I'm already planning for the motor that I will build that I know will last much longer.
actually- from my understanding FI is much easier on the crank and rods than NA...
but what do i know.
I'm an NA guy
i'm a parrot when it comes to FI :cheers:

bah, just take out a big loan and get a full billet bottom end :lolg:
i have billet rods-
its nice knowing my rods wont stretch (although my crank may explode, my rear is a ticking timebomb and the Trans... lets just pray)

[Modified by TreyZ28, 4:16 PM 2/20/2003]

Quick Reply: cast steel vs forged