C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84-91 Owners, Has Anyone Rebuilt Their Own Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 09:58 PM
ZBrink
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default 84-91 Owners, Has Anyone Rebuilt Their Own Power Steering Pump?

My power steering pump on my new to me 1990 is leaking fluid from somewhere as it's everywhere but the pump otherwise seems to be functioning fine. I only noticed a little bit of noise the last time I drove the car and found it was rather low on fluid.

I'm seriously interested in rebuilding it myself and have already pulled it. Has anyone ever done this? Anything I need to be aware of? Is it pretty straightforward?

Old 04-07-2024, 10:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

You're in WAZOO land - there's very much knowledge there!
The following users liked this post:
ZBrink (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:10 PM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You're in WAZOO land - there's very much knowledge there!
Yes there is! I'm getting help with my thermostat housing tomorrow from Phil but figured I would throw this question out to C4 land since the 84-91 pumps are same as the ZR-1. Interestingly the pump was also used on Fiats and maybe some Dodge vehicles?
Old 04-07-2024, 10:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZBrink
Yes there is! I'm getting help with my thermostat housing tomorrow from Phil but figured I would throw this question out to C4 land since the 84-91 pumps are same as the ZR-1. Interestingly the pump was also used on Fiats and maybe some Dodge vehicles?
Saginaw pumps are very popular. I really believe that for a C4 that's driven and if you actually have a pump issue you do TurnOne and consider the job done! Ask Phil tomorrow about the pump. I know people that have and the success is like most anything else. Sourcing the internals if you need can be a challenge. TurnOne and done!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-07-2024 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:38 PM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Saginaw pumps are very popular. I really believe that for a C4 that's driven and if you actually have a pump issue you do TurnOne and consider the job done! Ask Phil tomorrow about the pump. I know people that have and the success is like most anything else. Sourcing the internals if you need can be a challenge. TurnOne and done!
Thanks, I have the exploded parts diagram and I did contact Turn One this past week. I'm sure they do a great job but their rebuild price is more than double the price of a new pump. Unfortunately the previous owner was not transparent about the cars condition despite my detailed questions. It's needing far more than I had originally budgeted along with basic mods. I'm trying to save money where I can while still doing a quality job deserving of this special car. So, if realistic, I'd like to rebuild the pump myself or with the help of someone locally.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,301 Likes on 878 Posts

Thanks, I have the exploded parts diagram and I did contact Turn One this past week. I'm sure they do a great job but their rebuild price is more than double the price of a new pump. Unfortunately the previous owner was not transparent about the cars condition despite my detailed questions. It's needing far more than I had originally budgeted along with basic mods. I'm trying to save money where I can while still doing a quality job deserving of this special car. So, if realistic, I'd like to rebuild the pump myself or with the help of someone locally.

Is this the pump from your ZR-1?
Old 04-07-2024, 11:33 PM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Is this the pump from your ZR-1?
Yes it is, stamped 783999. It's a Saginaw TC aka GM Type II. The only thing that seemingly makes the ZR-1 different from other variants is the length and/or bend of the pressure tube.

Last edited by ZBrink; 04-07-2024 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:58 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Yes it is, stamped 783999.
So the ZR-1 pump is specific. You will find the cores being sold or the new ones are not machined for the three bolt holes. They are just drilled through with a large size, so tapping for the thread size is not an option.

Double check before you send your original back in for a core.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:01 AM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
So the ZR-1 pump is specific. You will find the cores being sold or the new ones are not machined for the three bolt holes. They are just drilled through with a large size, so tapping for the thread size is not an option.

Double check before you send your original back in for a core.
I think you guys are misunderstanding the intention of my post. I'm not planning on sending it anywhere, let alone giving it up as a core. I'm trying to get advice/tips on rebuilding it myself at home.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I think you guys are misunderstanding the intention of my post. I'm not planning on sending it anywhere, let alone giving it up as a core. I'm trying to get advice/tips on rebuilding it myself at home.
I didn't misunderstand, I only suggested a solution that is very often 'Once & Done'!
Old 04-08-2024, 08:49 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 192 Posts

I am all for rebuilding things yourself especially in this Corvette Tax world. Although I never rebuilt a power steering pump it certainly does not look overly complicated to pull it apart and examine/replace the components. The key would be sourcing the new parts, someone must have them if Turn One is able to rebuild them.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:07 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Enjoy your adventure.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:21 PM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 208 Posts

There's usually a snap ring holding the sealed bearing in place.

They are not designed for most synthetic fluids, as they can burn/tear up the seals. NAPA or GM #9801 is best, although some people use MIL5606 (aircraft hydraulic fluid) but it's a little expensive.

There are inexpensive replacements, and there are expensive replacements. Inexpensive ones like Tuff Stuff is about $150 and it's a good pump, Detroit Axle is half that.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, KRC pump as they can easily customize pressure relif and flow valving, and fittin size, and it's high quality but about $600. Jones Racing pumps are very good, they are half that again in comparison.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:09 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Been 3 weeks. How is it going?
Old 04-23-2024, 01:36 AM
mike1111
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

they don't cost that much.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:55 AM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mike1111
they don't cost that much.
You cannot get a new or reman pump for a ZR-1 at this time. Ours has threads in all (3) front bolt locations and a pressed in fitting bending towards the pulley as to clear the engine head.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:56 AM
ZBrink
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by AZSP33D
There's usually a snap ring holding the sealed bearing in place.

They are not designed for most synthetic fluids, as they can burn/tear up the seals. NAPA or GM #9801 is best, although some people use MIL5606 (aircraft hydraulic fluid) but it's a little expensive.

There are inexpensive replacements, and there are expensive replacements. Inexpensive ones like Tuff Stuff is about $150 and it's a good pump, Detroit Axle is half that.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, KRC pump as they can easily customize pressure relif and flow valving, and fittin size, and it's high quality but about $600. Jones Racing pumps are very good, they are half that again in comparison.
I did not know this about the synthetic fluids so thank you for that!
Old 04-23-2024, 01:06 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 87 pump started leaking. I did what you have in mind. Does it just leak? If it's quiet (mine is) you just need new seals. Maybe bearings. You can tell if they are bad. I took the o-rings to a industrial business and got everything to change all the seals for less than $10.
They are plenty of YouTube vids on rebuilding GM power steering pumps. The only difference are most cars the pump is inside the reservoir, inside they are all the same.
I'm running Lubegard PS fluid in everything. It seems to stay clean and keeps pumps quiet.
JS
Old 04-23-2024, 01:10 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

You cannot get a new or reman pump for a ZR-1 at this time. Ours has threads in all (3) front bolt locations and a pressed in fitting bending towards the pulley as to clear the engine head.
Don’t forget the vane direction is different in the LT5 pump.

Get notified of new replies

To 84-91 Owners, Has Anyone Rebuilt Their Own Power Steering Pump?

Quick Reply: 84-91 Owners, Has Anyone Rebuilt Their Own Power Steering Pump?