C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Chip Identification - 1993 383

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 01:07 PM
93vette383
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Identification - 1993 383

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time post here so let me know if this isn't in the right spot. Hoping ya'll can help me out with this:

Need help identifying the aftermarket chip/board in my '93 and was hoping to get some advice to see if the new chip I have will work.
Current Chip:

This is my first time messing with this kind of ECM/PCM and don't want to mess it up. I've gleaned enough knowledge from the internet to know that the '93 needed to have the chip pulled and burned to tune it, but I don't want to do that if this is something like a MOATES chip.
I don't need to do any real 'tuning' right now, but wanted to pull the current file off the chip and turn off things like egr and skipshift before burning to a new chip - planning on keeping the old chip on hand as a reference and backup.

New chip:

A little backround on the car: 1993 c4 - modified by Guldstrand at some point early in its life and has been an autocross car since - the 383 and (I'm assuming) the chip/tuning were both done by Guldstrand. As far as I know I am the fourth owner but no-one has touched much of the car other than refreshes/maintenance.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-06-2024, 01:52 PM
93vette383
5th Gear

More info:
I able to pull the 'chip'
Its actually a piggyback board with 2 chips - no clue how this works.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:21 PM
ULTM8Z
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

The SST chip basically overrides the chip in the Memcal.

If you want to change some things, simply download the current bin and save it in a secure location so you can always go back to it.

Old 04-06-2024, 03:58 PM
93vette383
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ULTM8Z
The SST chip basically overrides the chip in the Memcal.

If you want to change some things, simply download the current bin and save it in a secure location so you can always go back to it.
Thanks for the help,
SST chip meaning the chip on the green board?
MEMCAL referring to the OEM chip (in the blue stick)?
Following the traces of the boards what your saying makes sense - essentially the original chip (blue stick) is just hanging out and the chip on the green board is taking its place. Out of curiostiy, what it the other chip in the blue stick thats being passed through the green board to the ECM?
Old 04-06-2024, 05:39 PM
ULTM8Z
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Yes, the SST chip on the green board, and MEMCAL = the overall factory module inside the plastic housing.

Not exactly and expert on a 93 and up, but I think there's a knock sensor board with a bunch of resistors on it?
Old 04-07-2024, 09:43 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't understand the Moates comment...what you have is known as a Moates G1 adapter with an allegedly OEM memcal attached to it. Sitting there on the "G1" adapter is your allegedly Guldstrand modified EPROM. If there's no desire to use a "Moates" hardware setup, we can stop here.

It is true that under the blue cover near your pinky finger is the netres/knock filter circuitry and it is being reused in this scheme if you follow the connecting leads from the memcal through the adapter.

The EPROM in your picture on the adapter, taking note of the orientation of the notch circled in red, are you able to remove this EPROM without destroying any of the pins? If you can do that, then you can simply insert the "new" SST EEPROM onto the adapter of course that's after it's programmed with a EPROM burner with your modified tune. Be advised that the SST EEPROM has double the capacity of the one you're replacing meaning the binary needs to be burned onto the EEPROM twice by stacking or you could burn it to the lower half of the EEPROM by using offsets.

Oh...I noticed both the EPROMs the one under the blue cover of the memcal and the one on the adapter don't have stickers covering the window. Word of caution if left exposed long enough to UV light, it can erase the EPROMs. ...then so much for preserving the original tune.

Need more info...datalogging cable, EPROM burner, laptop w tunerpro rt, xdf, adx etc...ask away.

The following users liked this post:
AmoriFati (04-10-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:03 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts

If you are using tunerpro it has under tools a bin stacker/splitter.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:40 PM
93vette383
5th Gear

Incredibly helpful, thank you! Ignore the Moates comment, I was thinking about their emulators. Not in the plans right now.

I was able to get the chip off of the adapter board and pulled the BIN off of it. Using TunerProRT it all looks to be as expected, but the XDF I have ($DA2 - I cant remember where I got it) doesn't have all the parameters that I know should be there. The $DA3 XDF (Also don't remember where I got it) does have all the parameters, but the values of the data are wildly inaccurate when reading the BIN with it. I know that TunerCat lists the $DA2 file as the correct one for the 93 vette but I've heard that others use the $DA3 file. A little bit at a loss here as to which XDF to use and where to get a reliable one.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:00 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

This is what you need.
After you save this file just remove the last part of ".txt"
Attached Files
File Type: txt
$DA2.xdf.txt (79.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:33 PM
93vette383
5th Gear

Perfect, thank you! Wasn't able to get it to XDF but TunerPro was able to recognize it as a text file.
Now to figure out why the cylinder volume is set for a 350 and not a 383. Probably shouldn't touch much until I get more datalogging done.

Get notified of new replies

To Chip Identification - 1993 383

Quick Reply: Chip Identification - 1993 383