C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

e-brake cable meets exhaust pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 01:51 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default e-brake cable meets exhaust pipe?

The e-brake cable crosses under the rear between the storage bins and the seat's floor pans. It hangs low enough that I wonder if anyone had issue when installing aftermarket exhaust? Specifically, it's about 1" under the C-beam vs up against it. I not yet to the shop for installation but selecting parts...and measuring...and measuring...and measuring. One config might include a dual-in/dual-out muffler (ending near the e-brake cable then dumping into 3" resonators. Ideally, I'd shoot to have the "dip" between their 4"-5" cases so that cable clears the 3" piping in-between.

It's possible some other placement/arrangement might be desired which is why I'm curious if anyone has needed to move that cable? Maybe the mounts on either side can be bent/moved?

Any way, if you have any "history" with interference, rattle, or whatever, let me know. It might help in installation day.

Thx!
Old 03-29-2024, 08:46 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a Melrose dual 3" exhaust system on my 88. The cables are close to pipes but no issues at all with it.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:01 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
The e-brake cable crosses under the rear between the storage bins and the seat's floor pans. It hangs low enough that I wonder if anyone had issue when installing aftermarket exhaust? Specifically, it's about 1" under the C-beam vs up against it. I not yet to the shop for installation but selecting parts...and measuring...and measuring...and measuring. One config might include a dual-in/dual-out muffler (ending near the e-brake cable then dumping into 3" resonators. Ideally, I'd shoot to have the "dip" between their 4"-5" cases so that cable clears the 3" piping in-between.

It's possible some other placement/arrangement might be desired which is why I'm curious if anyone has needed to move that cable? Maybe the mounts on either side can be bent/moved?

Any way, if you have any "history" with interference, rattle, or whatever, let me know. It might help in installation day.

Thx!
I have ARH headers/Cats/X-pipe 3" pipes going into what is left of the B&B 3" exhaust pipes. So 3" diameter all the way until the mufflers. My E-brake cable does not come into contact with the pipes. It is close but not touching. But the pipes come real close to the rear differential. I actually had to flatten the pipes with my 20 Ton HF press to clear the diff. I have the 3" pipes reduced down to the stock LT mufflers (2.75" inlets but they are even a smaller diameter within the muffler) because I can't seem to find a high flow 3" inlet muffler that doesn't drone and isn't obnoxious.

Last edited by grandspt; 03-29-2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:35 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by grandspt
I have ARH headers/Cats/X-pipe 3" pipes going into what is left of the B&B 3" exhaust pipes. So 3" diameter all the way until the mufflers. My E-brake cable does not come into contact with the pipes. It is close but not touching. But the pipes come real close to the rear differential. I actually had to flatten the pipes with my 20 Ton HF press to clear the diff. I have the 3" pipes reduced down to the stock LT mufflers (2.75" inlets but they are even a smaller diameter within the muffler) because I can't seem to find a high flow 3" inlet muffler that doesn't drone and isn't obnoxious.
What about the Corsa Pro Series CP300 series? (3 configs) It's 3" and has RSC tech.
I'm thinking the new Borla Crate Mufflers might qualify. They CLAIM anti-drone.

Why was it necessary to "squash" the 3" under the diff? Seems like you'd roll over anything in the road way before it contacting with 3" pipes hanging under the differential. Also, think I've seen 3" unsquished in pictures?
Old 03-30-2024, 02:22 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

I think I just solved the majority of my dilemma. Look at this other thread I just posted.

I'm still curious about flattening of 3" exhaust pipe AND if that's really necessary?
Old 03-30-2024, 06:55 AM
grandspt
Drifting

What about the Corsa Pro Series CP300 series? (3 configs) It's 3" and has RSC tech.
I'm thinking the new Borla Crate Mufflers might qualify. They CLAIM anti-drone.

Why was it necessary to "squash" the 3" under the diff? Seems like you'd roll over anything in the road way before it contacting with 3" pipes hanging under the differential. Also, think I've seen 3" unsquished in pictures?
My pipes came straight back and had no bend on them at all. I also installed it all myself and had no pipe bender. So when the straight pipes came under the differential (and the camber rod diff mount) it was hitting. Now I didn't have to squish it a lot so that it is totally flat but I did squish it at least 1/8-1/4 inch on each side. Almost like a "D" shape so the flat part of the "D" was facing the differential.
​​​​​​Thank you, ​I did see the Corsa and Borla crate mufflers online. But I have spent so much on exhaust and mufflers in the past that I want to hear them on a similar setup before I buy a set.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:58 AM
grandspt
Drifting

I think I just solved the majority of my dilemma. Look at this other thread I just posted.

I'm still curious about flattening of 3" exhaust pipe AND if that's really necessary?
I didn't use the clip but I did save it.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:29 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

I didn't use the clip but I did save it.
Do you remember how it attached? I probably took mine off in 2008. It's been too long. HOPEFULLY, it's easy to re-install w/o pulling the c-beam (or something as unfriendly). There's not a lot of slack (if any) in my brake cable..which makes me think it would be tough to lift it high enough to pull the cable UP until the clip can (hang on the c-beam?) then release and STILL hold the cable higher.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:37 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

My pipes came straight back and had no bend on them at all. I also installed it all myself and had no pipe bender. So when the straight pipes came under the differential (and the camber rod diff mount) it was hitting. Now I didn't have to squish it a lot so that it is totally flat but I did squish it at least 1/8-1/4 inch on each side. Almost like a "D" shape so the flat part of the "D" was facing the differential.
​​​​​​Thank you, ​I did see the Corsa and Borla crate mufflers online. But I have spent so much on exhaust and mufflers in the past that I want to hear them on a similar setup before I buy a set.
There are Youtube clips of each. Both are on SBC gen 1 engines...but much earlier than our Corvettes. The Corsa is on a 69 Camaro. The Borlas are on old Malibus -- I think. On either one, it would be tough to know what the final sound will be like. Since the Corsa-specific system (cross-sectional view) looks like half RSC and half sound absorption, I would guess the Pro Series + a resonator or two will sound similar....at a MUCH LOWER PRICE.

Off-topic: The Corsa C4 system is priced so preposterous, I'd never consider it -- even on a higher value restomod like mine. (You probably feel the same). PLUS...it doesn't come in 3". With installation, you could spend close to 3 grand. (And they claim it's justified. FWIW, I think they are charging double -- just to provide a lifetime warranty HOPING you don't collect). DUMB DUMB DUMB. Bet you it gets discontinued (unless they need to keep making a few just to have warranty units on hand.)

Using the Pro Series mufflers is really the only reasonable option (if you like Corsa). They are 1/4-1/3rd the price of the car specific mufflers. THAT'S how you know C4 owners are being fed unreasonable pricing....on the C4 specific model.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:31 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Do you remember how it attached? I probably took mine off in 2008. It's been too long. HOPEFULLY, it's easy to re-install w/o pulling the c-beam (or something as unfriendly). There's not a lot of slack (if any) in my brake cable..which makes me think it would be tough to lift it high enough to pull the cable UP until the clip can (hang on the c-beam?) then release and STILL hold the cable higher.
Happy Easter!
I think it just hung off of the C-beam (one of the openings/triangular shaped cut outs) and the round loop went around the E-brake cable. Look at the picture below of a C-beam and the hanger. My C-beam didn't have that bracket attached to it.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:09 PM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's my hook, looks identical to photo in the other thread. No other clips or hooks, original exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
grandspt (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:08 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

SUPER COOL!! Thank you for the PERFECT PICTURE!!!!! The loop is so "tight" around the brake cable, I'm kinda surprised mine isn't just hanging there. To get one on, I'd think you'd need to wind it around the brake cable -- then lift up and "hook" over the c-beam.

Almost seems easy enough to make from a coat hanger?

Get notified of new replies

To e-brake cable meets exhaust pipe?

Quick Reply: e-brake cable meets exhaust pipe?